Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At what point can a player leave a lineout to be passed to by the scrum half?

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default At what point can a player leave a lineout to be passed to by the scrum half?

We are seeing more and more moves where the last member of an attacking lineout backs off and then is passed the ball by the scrum half to attack the space between the lineout and the defensive line but I wanted to know at what point the player is allowed to do this? Is it as soon as the ball is thrown in or does the ball need to be fed to the scrum half first and therefore the lineout be over?

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow Re: At what point can a player leave a lineout to be passed to by the scrum half?

18.38 Other than by moving to the receiver position if that position is empty, no lineout player may leave the lineout until it has ended. Sanction: Penalty.

That is the basic position. However:
    Once the lineout has commenced, any player in the lineout may:
    [...]
    d. Leave the lineout so as to be in a position to receive the ball, provided they remain within 10 metres of the mark of touch and they keep moving until the lineout is over. Sanction: Free-kick.

This relates to the tactic of peeling.

There is no definition of what constitutes leaving the lineout, but from statements about how to avoid forming a maul, it seems that very little movement is allowed.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: At what point can a player leave a lineout to be passed to by the scrum half?

So from this, if I wanted the back player in the attacking lineout to run backwards to take a position opposite the opposition 10 so he could receive the ball and run at him, he would have to do this once the ball had been fed back to the scrum half from the lineout?

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: At what point can a player leave a lineout to be passed to by the scrum half?

There is a special law about long throws:
    18.3 Once the ball has been thrown, a lineout player may move beyond the 15-metre line. If the ball does not go beyond the 15-metre line, the player must immediately return to the lineout.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Quebec Society of Rugby Referees
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think the long throw is what the OP is asking about. I think he is asking whether the last man in line can leave and stand in front of the defending 10 before the SH receives the ball.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by buff View Post
    I don't think the long throw is what the OP is asking about. I think he is asking whether the last man in line can leave and stand in front of the defending 10 before the SH receives the ball.
    Buff, Op is asking if lineout player, usually, the at back of line can back off/ leave the line, drop back to be a running first receiver, and crash the ball on the opposing number 10.

It is an old tactic, I vaguely remember form 80's early 90's. I'd say it went out of vogue or against law about the same time lifting in l/o became norm.

It may be resurfacing by the misread of rewrite that occurred in 2018. Prior to rewrite it was specifically forbidden.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Buff, Op is asking if lineout player, usually, the at back of line can back off/ leave the line, drop back to be a running first receiver from the SH pass, and crash the ball on the opposing number 10.

corrected my description

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yes that is correct. I would like to know at what point the back player in the lineout can drop back to be a running first receiver to then take the ball from the scrum half. Would this have to be after the ball went to the 9 or could you do this beforehand?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wardth View Post
    Yes that is correct. I would like to know at what point the back player in the lineout can drop back to be a running first receiver to then take the ball from the scrum half. Would this have to be after the ball went to the 9 or could you do this beforehand?
    Until the line out is over he cannot go beyond the 15m line.
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by beckett50 View Post
    Until the line out is over he cannot go beyond the 15m line.
    ... except when the throw will go past the 15m line unplayed.

Thread Information