Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bill Beaumont and WR

... which is why for televised fixtures with limited ticket sales the seats are ALL on the side opposite the cameras.

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    Unless something radical happens, the WC shouldn't come here. Half empty, or worse, stadia won't be a good look.
    I'm not sure there will be "...half empty...stadia..." as the World fan base will ensure the matches are well attended. How many empty stadia were there in Japan? Not many, and the TV people will ensure that they look full by clever camera angles.

I think that hosting the RWC in the USA will be boost that game needs to gain traction. Host cities can be places like Vegas, San Francisco, Detroit, New York and Washington. Match scheduling can take care of time zone issues.
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It's true that empty stadiums RWC are not a good look, and I can't understand why it happens time after time... Yet another unfathomable aspect of WR?!? RWC pool matches didn't sell out here in the UK (quite recently) nor in SA (many years ago).

Perhaps the expense of overseas travel and accommodation puts people off... but then again, when I was living in SA I watched Wales play NZ at the RWC (with Lomu steamrolling Iain Evans) at an Ellis Park that was embarrassingly empty... maybe about one quarter full? I was single at the time with no children, so I had some disposable income - but I still felt it was hysterically expensive and way out of reach of the ordinary fan. And I could only justify the expense of going to one of Wales's pool matches, despite being a Wales fan living right there on the doorstep of the tournament.

And I didn't even bother when it was here in the UK as it was just too expensive - and with family responsibilities, I had less disposable income (and time!)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by belladonna View Post
    It's true that empty stadiums RWC are not a good look, and I can't understand why it happens time after time... Yet another unfathomable aspect of WR?!? RWC pool matches didn't sell out here in the UK (quite recently) nor in SA (many years ago).

Perhaps the expense of overseas travel and accommodation puts people off... but then again, when I was living in SA I watched Wales play NZ at the RWC (with Lomu steamrolling Iain Evans) at an Ellis Park that was embarrassingly empty... maybe about one quarter full? I was single at the time with no children, so I had some disposable income - but I still felt it was hysterically expensive and way out of reach of the ordinary fan. And I could only justify the expense of going to one of Wales's pool matches, despite being a Wales fan living right there on the doorstep of the tournament.

And I didn't even bother when it was here in the UK as it was just too expensive - and with family responsibilities, I had less disposable income (and time!)
    too many seats distributed by allocation, and not enough simply sold on the open market at the stadium filling price

Seats are reserved or allocated to clubs, societies, players, unions, vips, players, staff , blazers hangers on, match officials etc who then don't use their allocation.

If you have paid to see Romania v Namibia , you will turn up and take your seat

If you have been given a free ticket a few days before by the committee, who were scrabbling to give away ten . Those seats will often end up empty

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by beckett50 View Post
    I'm not sure there will be "...half empty...stadia..." as the World fan base will ensure the matches are well attended. How many empty stadia were there in Japan? Not many, and the TV people will ensure that they look full by clever camera angles.

I think that hosting the RWC in the USA will be boost that game needs to gain traction. Host cities can be places like Vegas, San Francisco, Detroit, New York and Washington. Match scheduling can take care of time zone issues.
    Nobody, but nobody, in their right mind would consider hosting an event in Detroit. It isn't a major rugby playing hub, and frankly is a shithole. Chicago, maybe.

LA or San Fran, maybe. Washington and New York, maybe, but they generally share the same rugby audience. Vegas is viable.

Here's the thing: USA R has only been able to "fill" a stadium when the All Blacks are in town. I went to RFK to see Wales/South Africa in 2018. A rundown, shabby stadium, and they only managed to get 21,357 people to attend on a day when there wasn't any rugby in competition for eyes. No amount of clever TV angles will be able to make up for that kind of thing.

All the ideas about this could be the kick start that rugby in the USA needs just betrays an inherent lack of understanding about where rugby sits in the American sporting landscape.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

i am not sure I would expect any world cup to kick start a sport, any more than hosting an Olympics causes people to take up athletics.

in the last 10 years in the UK the one thing that has made an enormous, enduring difference to participation in running is parkrun. Not hosting the Olympics

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I'm just glad to know that "shithole" isnt on the censored list. Thanks SimonS.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Nobody, but nobody, in their right mind would consider hosting an event in Detroit. It isn't a major rugby playing hub, and frankly is a shithole.
    Apparently you are not familiar with the Windsor ballet.

Quote Originally Posted by menace View Post
    I'm just glad to know that "shithole" isnt on the censored list. Thanks SimonS.
    Some people, not I, think the use of "shithole" to describe Haiti, El Salvador and some parts of Africa as racist. Frankly, I'm surprised Simon would use it to describe Detroit knowing the sensitivity attached to the term.
    Last edited by Not Kurt Weaver; 07-05-20 at 02:05.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

All the ideas about this could be the kick start that rugby in the USA needs just betrays an inherent lack of understanding about where rugby sits in the American sporting landscape.
    Is the 1994 FIFA World Cup a good, or bad, comparison?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_FIFA_World_Cup

Despite the host nation's lack of soccer tradition, the tournament was the most financially successful in World Cup history; aided by the high-capacity stadiums in the United States, it broke the World Cup average attendance record with more than 69,000 spectators per game, a mark that still stands.[1][2] The total attendance of nearly 3.6 million for the final tournament remains the highest in World Cup history, despite the later expansion of the competition from 24 to 32 teams (and from 52 to 64 games), which was first introduced at the 1998 World Cup and is the current format.
    and 7s rugby too seems to have been well accepted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_Sevens

Tournament attendance has grown rapidly since its inception in 2004. The tournament drew 15,800 fans in 2004,[10] 25,000 fans in 2007,[11] 35,773 in 2008,[1] and 37,000 fans in 2009.[12]
    The tournament switched to a three-day format in 2011.[2] The 2012 tournament's second-day attendance of 30,112 set a new record for the largest crowd to watch a rugby event in the United States.[3] The 2013 tournament broke attendance records again, with total attendance of 67,341.[4] The 2014 tournament again saw record attendance, with 68,608 fans, despite the fact that the tournament had been moved to January to avoid the 2014 Winter Olympics.[5]
    Last edited by Dickie E; 07-05-20 at 06:05.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kurt Weaver View Post

.... "shithole"... knowing the sensitivity attached to the term.
    Not in the UK there isn't.

A shithole is simply that. End of.

No sensitivity associated with it here.

didds

Thread Information