Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Question new boy questions round 2

Please read my other post first... this batch of new boy questions is on the laws around kicking, and then a random one.

1. what’s the point of “without delay” in 12.9 "If the ball is kicked into the opponents’ in-goal without touching any player and an opponent grounds the ball without delay” (options retake or scrum halfway line). If she "delays" grounding the ball, eg to see what the kicker's follow up is like, what then?
    2. 12:10 "If the ball is kicked into the kicking team’s own in-goal and is made dead by a defending player or it goes dead through in-goal, the non-kicking team is awarded a five-metre scrum.” Does this just refer to the kicker kicking backwards (perhaps he was concussed or something, I don't know...) or is there some subtlety here that I've missed?
    3. can you play FK advantage, eg 9.23 front row kicks the ball out of the tunnel and oppo SH collects it? I don't see why not, but I can't recall ever seeing it

thanks!

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: new boy questions round 2

Quote Originally Posted by andrewR View Post
    Please read my other post first... this batch of new boy questions is on the laws around kicking, and then a random one.
    what’s the point of “without delay” in 12.9 "If the ball is kicked into the opponents’ in-goal without touching any player and an opponent grounds the ball without delay” (options retake or scrum halfway line). If she "delays" grounding the ball, eg to see what the kicker's follow up is like, what then?
    In that situation, a 22 will happen. I wouldn't worry about "what's the point", and just apply law.

12:10 "If the ball is kicked into the kicking team’s own in-goal and is made dead by a defending player or it goes dead through in-goal, the non-kicking team is awarded a five-metre scrum.” Does this just refer to the kicker kicking backwards (perhaps he was concussed or something, I don't know...) or is there some subtlety here that I've missed?
    Bad weather conditions perhaps?

can you play FK advantage, eg 9.23 front row kicks the ball out of the tunnel and oppo SH collects it? I don't see why not, but I can't recall ever seeing it

Never seen it either.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

2 - in a kick chase the defender may get a toe to the ball first and kick through own in goal
    3 - there is a law on this !

7.3 Advantage must not be applied and the referee must blow the whistle immediately when:
    The ball comes out of either end of the tunnel at a scrum.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

thank you...I clearly should have failed the exam (again...)

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

FK advantage can be played, it's pretty rare as it's usually an advantage in a scrum or lineout that you don't want to let breathe. But consider: blue QTI, red 7 blocks the ball inside the 5m line (FK), accidentally batting it back to the thrower who gathers and tears off up the field. No reason to call that back.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewR View Post

1. what’s the point of “without delay” in 12.9 "If the ball is kicked into the opponents’ in-goal without touching any player and an opponent grounds the ball without delay” (options retake or scrum halfway line). If she "delays" grounding the ball, eg to see what the kicker's follow up is like, what then? It distinguishes between rejecting the kick immediately and waiting to see if a tactical opening appears. Essentially there is no advantage that can be taken if you want the options. Otherwise 'normal' In Goal Area laws apply. so 22 DO.
    2. 12:10 "If the ball is kicked into the kicking team’s own in-goal and is made dead by a defending player or it goes dead through in-goal, the non-kicking team is awarded a five-metre scrum.” Does this just refer to the kicker kicking backwards (perhaps he was concussed or something, I don't know...) or is there some subtlety here that I've missed?There was an instance of the wind blowing the ball backwards, the result was not clear in Law. It now is (the same outcome for a defender putting the ball across their own GL in open play).
    3. can you play FK advantage, eg 9.23 front row kicks the ball out of the tunnel and oppo SH collects it? I don't see why not, but I can't recall ever seeing it You can play scrum, FK or PK Advantage, but not in the 8 specific instances in Law 7.3.

thanks!
    Responses in green
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by chbg View Post
    It distinguishes between rejecting the kick immediately and waiting to see if a tactical opening appears. Essentially there is no advantage that can be taken if you want the options. Otherwise 'normal' In Goal Area laws apply. so 22 DO.
    got it, thank you.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Don't worry about failing the exam Andrew, most of the players don't know this obscure laws anyway. Blow your whistle, make a confident decision and crack on
    Ciaran Trainor

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    Don't worry about failing the exam Andrew, most of the players don't know this obscure laws anyway. Blow your whistle, make a confident decision and crack on
    There are 31 people on the pitch. Only you and the four props will be l;ikely to pass the exam amongst them all :-)

didds

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    West Yorkshire
    Grade
    Ref Advisor/Assessor
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Just a point about the first question - why would delaying revert to usual in-goal laws when Law 12.11 specifically excludes the option of a 22DO? The answer which was provided to me is "play on."

Thread Information