Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Question new boy questions round 3

And finally, thanks for sticking with me...these are on the lineout, mostly about practice. Until reading the laws I thought the lineout was quite straightforward, now I realise that it's an impossibly complicated dance requiring an all-seeing ref and liberal use of the ref is sole judge of law and fact which is definitely my favourite law

1. how does you typically mark the lineout: the non-throwing teams line?
    2. where do you stand at a lineout, and then where are you moving after the throw?
    3. do you call "lineout over" verbally? if so, when a lineout becomes a maul would your call be something like "maul, lineout over"?
    4. 18:11 "A minimum of two players from each team are required to form a lineout." Am I right that this is 2 players actually in the line, so does not include thrower (or oppo hooker) or receiver?

Thanks very much anyone who takes the time to answer my questions. With them I'm sure I'll never make a mistake ever. 6.5(a) guarantees it, right?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: new boy questions round 3

1 - i like to mark defending team (stand here) throwing in team make a gap. Other refs do it differently. I like it as it's the throwing team who care about the gap so its nice to have establihed that the defending team must stand where they are, throwing team make the gap you like

2 - assuming you have no ARs you are going to have to spend some time at the front to watch short throws. But try and also stand at the back sometimes as well

3 - I would often call maul. But that does not mean line out is over, that happens when the maul moves away from line of touch

Standard thing is : hold your arm up as line out begins, drop it when the line out is over

4 - correct
    Last edited by crossref; 12-05-20 at 16:05.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

1 - I make two marks on the 5m line.
    2 - really depends on the level (and age grade) of the match, where on the pitch it is, weather... hard to say. Certainly as a beginner, starting at the front is safer to keep an eye on short throws and mischief, but be ready to start making ground fast if it goes out wide.
    3 - I'll call maul if there's a maul, so the players involved know what's expected. I'll usually hold my hand up in that case until the lineout is over, so that the backs know where the offside line is. Certainly for youth and lower levels of play, more communication is nearly always better than less, though!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

1 - Depends on the level and standard of play - U15 & below, invariably a mark for both teams; U16, not experienced schools, and 1st half of season for clubs - mark for both teams; less experienced women (who quite often start to play as adults) the same. All others, just mark the non-throwing team's line. Whatever you feel comfortable with, but don't make a mark and then not enforce it - one less thing to watch in a Vets match!
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

1. I tell the props - either side of the mark and hold your arm out so your finger tips touch. That's the gap.

2. Either opposite the defending hooker, or at the back, offensive side, 2m back.

3. Arm's up. I bring it down when it's over. If it becomes a maul, I just say "maul"
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't mark the lineout at all. If the players can't work it out for themselves based on where the AR/TJ is standing, then I'll get involved. I'm there to make sure they comply with law. If they can do that, I'm happy to spectate.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Such a lot of different answers for 1 !

How you will do it is probably the single most useful thing you can tell the players in the pre match brief

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

1. When I started I just used to mark the line of touch and assumed players would stand at the required distance either side of that. My mistake. I quickly found that, nearly always, whichever player arrived at the line first just stood on the mark so I now mark both. As Dickie points out it shouldn't really be necessary but for the most part a certain amount of good natured marshalling is required. Lineouts are an area that can quickly go to pot though if you take your eye off the ball particularly at lower levels - throwing sides delay arriving at the line of touch, non-throwing sides start demanding numbers, one side discover they have too many/too few players and start trying to adjust. Definitely needs watching.
    2. When on my Refs course they actively encouraged standing at the front in the space left clear by the throwing hooker so that you could spot not only short throws and other lineout incidents but also ensure that both back lines stayed onside. I found this useful when I started because remembering to look behind me at back lines took time to develop (not just at lineouts). I now vary where I stand but find management of the lineout easier from the front where I’m facing the players.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

2 (where to stand) is going to be very different if you do/don't have assistant referees
    I am assuming Andrew doesn't have them

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    2 (where to stand) is going to be very different if you do/don't have assistant referees
    I am assuming Andrew doesn't have them
    not for the first couple of games anyway

Thread Information