Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: World Rugby announces law amendment relating to scoring against the post protector

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: World Rugby announces law amendment relating to scoring against the post protecto

In the 400 odd games I've reffed probably seen it twice. Yawn. Bigger issues to be dealt with.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: World Rugby announces law amendment relating to scoring against the post protecto

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    In the 400 odd games I've reffed probably seen it twice. Yawn. Bigger issues to be dealt with.
    Yes but last twelve months it gradually became a thing in elite rugby with attacking teams deliberately using each pick and go to shift sideways nearer to the posts until ...

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Yes but last twelve months it gradually became a thing in elite rugby with attacking teams deliberately using each pick and go to shift sideways nearer to the posts until ...
    This ^^^.

nobody at the levels where laws are discussed etc gives a toss about what happens with us in theb grassroots . This change is not aimed at us.
    Its entirely aimed at the elite level where indeed this is clsaearly a (reasonable) tactic. with the width of PP as they are, the try line is up to 0.5m ahead of where defnders can legally stand. An analogy would be them having to defnd the real try line with an offisede line st 18 inches closer to the dead ball line.

and as it "never" occurs at grass roots then the change wont matter to the vast majority of is on these forums I guess.

didds

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I agree that at grassroots it changes little.

But I am glad to see it go from TV rugby. Edinburgh v Munster in December. The pundits were not happy...
    Mitrea says “drop it”, Schoeman ignores him and Mitrea just… plays on.
    Incredibly dangerous play and dangerous, irresponsible refereeing.
    Don’t like the ref blaming above, but he might have stopped play and restarted with an attacking scrum. (That probably would have not ended as it did with a Try to Red, but player safety comes first.) If I ask a player to stop doing something dangerous, his ignoring me is not an option. I am going to blow the whistle and have a chat with the offending player.

I saw A. N. Other doing it in NH rugby this past season, but can’t find the footage
    Here’s a SH example
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 13-05-20 at 13:05.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Buckinghamshire Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    I agree that at grassroots it changes little.

But I am glad to see it go from TV rugby. Edinburgh v Munster in December. The pundits were not happy...

Don’t like the ref blaming above, but he might have stopped play and restarted with an attacking scrum. (That probably would have not ended as it did with a Try to Red, but player safety comes first.) If I ask a player to stop doing something dangerous, his ignoring me is not an option. I am going to blow the whistle and have a chat with the offending player.

I saw A. N. Other doing it in NH rugby this past season, but can’t find the footage
    Here’s a SH example
    Quite surprised in both cases that it wasn't a penalty - easily justified as an act that is "reckless or dangerous to others" under Law 9.11. Given they both interrupted a dominant attacking move, I would have been OK with a yellow card as well. The players knew what they were doing was illegal; it's pure gamesmanship.
    If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you... you must be a rugby referee!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity - and I'm not sure about the universe..." - Albert Einstein

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't understand why we don't ever see American style tuning fork posts.

I certainly wouldn't start making people convert (too expensive, not priority) , but you might think that as and when stadiums get upgrades and/or new posts put in, tuning forks should be labelled best practice, and would come in gradually
    You'd then have a fixed depth of in goal area.

Biggest I've seen is Market Rasen & Louth - must be 22m - Google maps says 22.21m

Shortest West Leeds - must be barely legal. Tuning fork would have to go over the fence in next-doors! Google maps says 4.02m
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't understand why we don't ever see American style tuning fork posts.

I certainly wouldn't start making people convert (too expensive, not priority) , but you might think that as and when stadiums get upgrades and/or new posts put in, tuning forks should be labelled best practice, and would come in gradually
    There's a Rugby Ground near Ibrox (Rangers FC in Glasgow ye ken) who have tuning forks. They are the only ones I've ever seen. Unless it's an American football pitch - it does say some Rugby club or other on a board outside though.

Just looked on GM. It's Cartha Queen's Park RFC. They are a tuning fork but they are stuck in the goal line anyway so forget all that.

I've never seen any (proper ones).

I suppose CQP RFC solution halves the problem
    Last edited by Lee Lifeson-Peart; 13-05-20 at 18:05.
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    I know what will happen your next game

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Lifeson-Peart View Post
    You'd then have a fixed depth of in goal area.

Biggest I've seen is Market Rasen & Louth - must be 22m - Google maps says 22.21m

Shortest West Leeds - must be barely legal. Tuning fork would have to go over the fence in next-doors! Google maps says 4.02m
    I don't think so
    I imagine the tuning fork post just in the middle of the in goal

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think so
    I imagine the tuning fork post just in the middle of the in goal
    Thats what happens in Canadian football

One of the issues here at grassroots is we often use shared fields with soccer, which means shared posts - so soccer goals (which are wider and lower than a rugby crossbar) with uprights with a crossbar mounted on them - so effectively there are 2 crossbars. We just play that if it hits either of them its play on

Thread Information