Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow World Rugby approves law trials to reduce coronavirus risk

World Rugby expect the trials to apply more to the community game than the elite end, where testing is likely to be more widespread, although the introduction of an "orange card" is specific to the professional game. Source: for further details of proposed trial

Among the law trials:

• Removing scrum resets.
    • Taking away the option of a scrum for a penalty, a free-kick, or when an attacker is held-up in-goal.
    • Reinforcing high tackle guidelines to reduce face-to-face contact and the introduction of an "orange card" for potential red-card offences.
    • The player is removed with the offence checked by the Television Match Official. If deemed a red card offence, the player doesn't return. If not, they return after 15 minutes.
    • Removing the choke tackle, with referees calling a "tackle" rather than a "maul".
    • Awarding a free-kick rather than a scrum for when a team fails to "use it" at a scrum, ruck, or maul.
    • Speeding up rucks by cutting the "use it" time from 5 seconds to 3 seconds.
    • Restricting the number of players who can join a maul and the time spent in the maul.

With tight-five forwards considered most at risk of transmission, World Rugby estimate that the changes could reduce scrum contact exposure by more than 30%, reduce contact exposure at the ruck by around 25%, and reduce maul contact exposure by at least 50%.

How easily will the grassroots game adapt to such changes?

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: World Rugby approves law trials to reduce coronavirus risk

You're presupposing that the respective Unions adopt them.

I don't know just how sure a bet that is.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Question Re: World Rugby approves law trials to reduce coronavirus risk

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    You're presupposing that the respective Unions adopt them.

I don't know just how sure a bet that is.
    You got a point there ; Guardian article
    New Zealand union already said it will not be adopting trials
    Any sporting body who, after lockdown says we’re not adapting our approach, risks finding that little Billy will not be enrolled in their clubs. That could have a long term effect on the future of the game. The Premiership is there to make a profit, so no surprise they are not keen to adopt these trials. The amateur game, on the otherhand has a different set of priorities. Rugby needs to wake up to the slow strangling of the grassroots game
    In a culture of changing work patterns, more enlightened approaches to parenting and an increased accent on individualism, the traditional model of the rugby club has been transformed, as has each player’s commitment to it.

My question remains the same however. If & when respective Unions adopt the law trials for the grassroots game ;
    just how easily can we adapt to them?
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 30-05-20 at 17:05.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I believe that Welsh Rugby has also indicated that it won't be adopting them either.

RFU is remaining quiet - as far as I am aware - at this stage. Probably because of the whole Premiership fiasco.
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The IRFU is still in lockdown. Covid update for clubs
    I suspect they will let others bite the bullet before positioning themselves on the matter.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Madrefs
    Grade
    Adviser
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

My understanding is that World Rugby put these changes to the various unions and they were rejected unanimously. That’s why they’ve now been issued as suggestions that individual unions can adopt should they choose to do so - and the unions are choosing not to.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by colesy View Post
    My understanding is that World Rugby put these changes to the various unions and they were rejected unanimously. That’s why they’ve now been issued as suggestions that individual unions can adopt should they choose to do so - and the unions are choosing not to.
    This, too, is my understanding.

USA R is having to fashion consultative process to think about it because the old R&L Committee went away and there isn't a replacement yet.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think everyone agrees these proposals are unworkable. What then? Will all registered players accept to use the app which informs other players when they have been in contact with someone who has subsequently been diagnosed with Covid19?
    Clubs must be prepared to put a pitchside disinfecting arrangement for training and matches. I think that’s a minimum, doing nothing whatsoever is not an option.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by colesy View Post
    that way, if there is a spike, WR can wash their hands (pun intended)
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    I think everyone agrees these proposals are unworkable. What then? Will all registered players accept to use the app which informs other players when they have been in contact with someone who has subsequently been diagnosed with Covid19?
    Clubs must be prepared to put a pitchside disinfecting arrangement for training and matches. I think that’s a minimum, doing nothing whatsoever is not an option.

well this is where the app falls down. Red #1 and blue #3 can be in very close proximity for 80 minutes. But their mobiole ophones may be several tens of metres apart in changing rooms etc. So if Red #1 gets CV19, how will the app know to tell blue #3 ?

Thread Information