Wasps
    Grade
    Former member of RFU TJ p
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Crowds to return for opening round of Super Rugby Aotearoa

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Lifeson-Peart View Post
    Anyway.

I watched the Highlanders and the Chiefs.

In terms of value for money you certainly got that if you wanted to listen to Paul Williams blowing his whistle for PK every two minutes.

20 PKs after 55 minutes

31 PKs at FT

No yellow cards for any of it.

A work in progress is being kind.
    Yes, the whistle went a lot, but that is because in all four games so far the referees have finally been applying the laws relating to the breakdown and offsides. Once the teams get used to playing to the laws the whistle will be blown less often and the game and the spectacle will be much improved. See Sir Geech in today's Sun Tel.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It isn't exactly the running spectacle we thought we would get though.

Because teams are afraid of giving away PK in their bit of the field, the preferred play is the kick. Better to make the oppo play from their 22m and commit a mistake or penalty than do it from your end.

And oh, the endless delays at the bottom of rucks.

I'm honestly preferring the NRL matches just now. Better kicking, better handling, and quick play-the-ball.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post

I'm honestly preferring the NRL matches just now. Better kicking, better handling, and quick play-the-ball.
    tru dat

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Bay of Plenty
    Grade
    Secondary School
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dickell View Post
    Yes, the whistle went a lot, but that is because in all four games so far the referees have finally been applying the laws relating to the breakdown and offsides. Once the teams get used to playing to the laws the whistle will be blown less often and the game and the spectacle will be much improved. See Sir Geech in today's Sun Tel.
    Perhaps. Or perhaps teams will figure out that it's better not to have the ball and kick it away all the time. Time will tell.

My issue is that I think the game - in particular the breakdown - has been in a really good place for the last couple of years and I wonder why we want to change that.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by damo View Post
    My issue is that I think the game - in particular the breakdown - has been in a really good place for the last couple of years and I wonder why we want to change that.
    I suspect you're in a pronounced minority on that highlighted point; there's been constant criticism of it at pretty much every level, and it's only been growing.

From the little rugby I've been able to see, cleaning things up has had a good effect now that the players are used to it.

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Some folks, like Chiefs attack coach Roger Randle are struggling with the new breakdown laws.
    Adding to the Chiefs’ remarkable downturn in dividends is that they have also had the highest average time in possession per game of any side – 18 minutes and 15 seconds.

But, it’s kicking which is proving to be key, and the Chiefs are still searching for some balance in that department, still looking confused in their approach, whether to play up-tempo or put boot to ball.

“The teams that are turning over the ball the most, and not kicking as much as the other team, they’re losing,” Randle said. “So, you’re not always rewarded for having possession.
    I suppose it's like the ticking crocodile, isn't it? Time is chasing after all of us.” ― J.M. Barrie

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Bay of Plenty
    Grade
    Secondary School
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    I suspect you're in a pronounced minority on that highlighted point; there's been constant criticism of it at pretty much every level, and it's only been growing.

From the little rugby I've been able to see, cleaning things up has had a good effect now that the players are used to it.
    I don't think so. People have been complaining about he breakdown for years. Last 2 years the balance has been good and there has been a lot of excellent rugby played.

Thread Information