Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: the Chiefs

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    ex-Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 10

Default Re: the Chiefs

"Crusader" is NOT a racist word. Calling someone a "Crusader" does not insult their race or ethnicity; rather, calling them a "crusader" is actually a term of respect in modern language. A crusader is someone who fights for a cause such as rights, justice or freedom.

Ian I believe Crusader comes from a participant in the Christian Crusades against the expansion of Islam in the 11th to 15th Centuries, and its etymology is from the Latin 'crux' or cross. Albeit in Western / 'White' ethnic communities the word may have come to mean someone striving for a 'good' cause the term's connotations have the potential to cause offence and IMHO, as religion should have no place in sport, would be better replaced as a team name. (BTW not shouting can't remove the bold type.)

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by timmad View Post
    "Crusader" is NOT a racist word. Calling someone a "Crusader" does not insult their race or ethnicity; rather, calling them a "crusader" is actually a term of respect in modern language. A crusader is someone who fights for a cause such as rights, justice or freedom.

Ian I believe Crusader comes from a participant in the Christian Crusades against the expansion of Islam in the 11th to 15th Centuries, and its etymology is from the Latin 'crux' or cross. Albeit in Western / 'White' ethnic communities the word may have come to mean someone striving for a 'good' cause the term's connotations have the potential to cause offence and IMHO, as religion should have no place in sport, would be better replaced as a team name. (BTW not shouting can't remove the bold type.)
    No quite.

Crusader comes from the Old French "criosee" meaning "to carry the cross". In his 12th century chronicle, a French monk called Guilbert du of Nogent wrote....“God has instituted in our time holy wars, so that the order of knights and the crowd running in its wake… might find a new way of gaining salvation. And so they are not forced to abandon secular affairs completely by choosing the monastic life or any religious profession, as used to be the custom, but can attain in some measure God’s grace while pursuing their own careers, with the liberty and in the dress to which they are accustomed.”

The word existed long before this and and was not used contemporaneously to describe the first of those wars or the participants, in other words, the crusades were not called the crusades when the began to take place (despite what you might see depicted in Hollywood movies). The word was co-opted after the fact (in the 12th century) to describe historical events of over 100 years earlier.

In any case, there is no call from the vast majority (over 85%) of the people whose business this is (that is the Christian, Muslim and secular communities of Christchurch) As far as they are concerned (and that very much includes a huge majority of Muslims) the name of the "Crusaders" will not be changed. The imagery is gone as it should be because DOES refer to those Holy Wars, but the name no longer does.

Its game over for the virtue signallers and professional offence takers.
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 04-08-20 at 21:08.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    ex-Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 10

In a future World Club Championship (not soon, given any number of current circumstances) could Crusaders be drawn against Saracens, perhaps played on 'neutral' territory in outside Jerusalem?

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by timmad View Post
    In a future World Club Championship (not soon, given any number of current circumstances) could Crusaders be drawn against Saracens, perhaps played on 'neutral' territory in outside Jerusalem?
    In the Skeptics forum I am a member of, this post would be nominated for the Pith Award ( and be a definite front-runner to win)
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 04-08-20 at 22:08.
    - Jay Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    In the Skeptics forum I am a member of, this post would be nominated for the Pith Award ( and be a definite front-runner to win)
    Now, I thought you said the Crusaders had lost any association with the , well, the crusaders ?
    Last edited by crossref; 04-08-20 at 23:08.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Now, I thought you said the Crusaders had lost any association with the , well, the crusaders ?

Err, pith, as in "taking the pith"!
    - Jay Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

I might need recalibrating. I have a tendency to use this OK emoji in my texts. Apparently it may mean that I am a white supremacist. What does the hive think?

_108993216_ok-hand.jpg
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA

Arrow Re: the Chiefs

Not everyone buys the idea of harmonious relations in Canterbury it seems.
    Tina Ngata says Maori people are still suffering under the legacy of colonialism
    There are more ways of killing a dog than choking it with butter.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3

I'm not entirely sure what that haas to do with the thread, unless you just like taking pot shots at people and places.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Thread Information