Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: the Chiefs

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    That is significantly different because "redskin" has become a pejorative term, even if it originally wasn't. It would be like calling a team the Alabama N****rs - extremely distasteful and deeply insulting to Black and African-American people everywhere

whoa, why Alabama? Why not Nelson Bays for your example after all it is just an example? Correct me if I'm wrong, until recently a NZ river, a NZ place of land , and NZ mountain still shared the name with your hypothetical Alabama team.

I'm beginning to think you have some bias against the Alabama slack jawed people.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    I think the link is too tenuous, so it comes close to virtue signalling.
    Tenuous ? It seems to be impossible for them to give up .. see #232

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kurt Weaver View Post
    whoa, why Alabama?
    I threw a dart at a USA map (to be fair, I aimed below the Mason-Dixon line)
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    that's what they have done ?? So they are STILL dressed like mediaeval religiously motivated aggressors .. but with different flags!

that doesn't cut it!

hardly dropped at all - imagery that still owes everything to 800 year old religious wars !
    Oh really? How remiss of me, I wasn't aware that "medieval religiously motivated aggressors" wore ASTM-F1163 standard equestrian safety helmets, black polyester onesies and capes in the jersey colours of NZ Provincial rugby teams. I will have to re-read my copy of Geoffrey Hindley's "A Brief History of the Crusades" and get myself up to date!

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    I think the link is too tenuous, so it comes close to virtue signalling.
    Indeed, it is nothing but virtue signalling. Crossref is now offended by people on horseback who have nothing to do with the Crusades

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Tenuous ? It seems to be impossible for them to give up .. see #232
    Whats to give up?

The logo is gone
    The chain mail is gone
    The swords are gone
    ALL of the war imagery is gone (and no, riders riding horses around a rugby stadium is NOT, repeat NOT war imagery)

I know you've got your panties in a bunch about the name, but tough, that is not going. Anything else you want gone? Would you like them to give up ALL pre-match entertainment now, because from what I am gleaning from your posting history is that you will always find something to take offense to, and if you can't immediately see something obvious, you will go looking for it
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 1 Week Ago at 22:07.
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I threw a dart at a USA map (to be fair, I aimed below the Mason-Dixon line)
    Oh, my slack jaw is catching on. Gotcha, the USA is a racist country. We are also sexist. 93% percent of prisoners are men.

I will have to re-read my copy of Geoffrey Hindley's "A Brief History of the Crusades" and get myself up to date!
    I'll have to find that book and read it. Literally, is it a real book? I mean unbiased real, truthful you know, and accurate perhaps.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

. I will have to re-read my copy of Geoffrey Hindley's "A Brief History of the Crusades" and get myself up to date!

read the reviews, I'm out.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

this article sums up my view perfectly. The aggrieved community weren't demanding a name change so the rest of us should respect that and stop demanding change on their behalf.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...amic-community

This is what I meant when I said:

Be that as it may, it is an interesting conundrum where in one corner we have "the local 'first inhabitants' support it, nothing to see here, move along" and in the other "it is our duty to fight for the oppressed and downtrodden, even if they don't want us to fight for them".
    Last edited by Dickie E; 1 Week Ago at 23:07.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kurt Weaver View Post
    Oh, my slack jaw is catching on. Gotcha, the USA is a racist country. We are also sexist. 93% percent of prisoners are men.

I'll have to find that book and read it. Literally, is it a real book? I mean unbiased real, truthful you know, and accurate perhaps.
    Yes its a real book, and yes, I do have a hard copy, and yes it is unbiased, truthful and accurate.

The problem with some people (and this forum is no exception) is that they pontificate about "The Crusades" withut having the foggiest of ideas about them. They just follow the myth that it was nothing more, or less, than a protracted war of aggression with much bloodletting by one side motivated by religion against another side, also motivated by religion. They al forget that the crusaders lost - they got a kicking, and were expelled by the Islamic defenders.

In fact, Muslims have a very different view of the Crusaded from our view in the west.

https://www.history.com/news/why-mus...rom-christians

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    this article sums up my view perfectly. The aggrieved community weren't demanding a name change so the rest of us should respect that and stop demanding change on their behalf.

Yes indeed

When you know something about the subject material, and have met, have clients, and work with Muslims every day, as well as having them as neighbours and friends, you are not surprised when you find that they are mostly not at all offended by the name "Crusaders". There is NO call from the Muslim community for a name change.... It.does.not.bother.them.one.bit!!! ALL of the rabble rousing is coming from non-Muslim, professional busybodies, SJWs and hand-wringing virtual signalers.
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Crossref.... care to comment?

One thing was clear, though. The [Muslim] community is not short of rugby fans, and they still support the Crusaders. “The Crusaders are our team,” a man, who identified himself as a Somali, said. “They represent us, regardless of what they are called.”
    Our conversation was overheard by another man, who moved across to join in. He told me his family was from the Middle East; he did not state exactly where.

“It was something I discussed with my parents,” he said. “My mother thought it should be changed, but my father was like me. He said they were good people, and a good team, and they should call themselves what they want.

“There is a lot of [team] history there, the Crusaders have won so many times. I can understand why they want to stay the same. It’s what I want too. It won’t stop me watching them, and I’m sure it won’t stop anyone else here either.”

- Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

ALL of the rabble rousing is coming from non-Muslim, professional busybodies, SJWs and hand-wringing virtual signalers.
    Tru dat, however these are the same people who will unknowingly take away your freedoms
    Last edited by Not Kurt Weaver; 1 Week Ago at 00:07.

Thread Information