Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: the Chiefs

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    and so they do
    .... just like the Templar Cross and the Cross of St George..... similar, but not the same and not identical
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

An email sent to the Chicago Tribune:-
    DearMr. Page: I agree with our Native American population. I am highly jilted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them a sfine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.
    Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns.
    The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives. I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children.The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children. The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our children. The Milwaukee Brewers.Well that goes without saying. Wrong message to our children.

So,there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the do-nothing Congress loves.

As a die-hard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in mind, suggest it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the Beavers (especially when they play Southern California. Do we really want the Trojans sticking it to the Beavers???

I always love your articles and I generally agree with them. As for the Redskins name I would suggest they change the name to the "Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the dick heads in Washington DC.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    An email sent to the Chicago Tribune:-
    I found very similar letter in 2014, I'd suggest it is chain mailish, not necessarily a hoax but reappearing frequently with slight changes

https://www.skyhinews.com/opinion/ha...gton-warriors/

But it certainly makes light of our 1st world problem

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't really get it, it's like "if we change this offensive name, then we'll have to change all the other offensive names" (well, yes) "and then we'll have to change all the inoffensive names" (well, no)

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't really get it, it's like "if we change this offensive name, then we'll have to change all the other offensive names" (well, yes) "and then we'll have to change all the inoffensive names" (well, no)
    that's the problem with 'offence'. It is such a nebulus concept. Who is offended, how many people are offended, etc. In today's world, it all revolves around corporations applying pressure to ensure max profits.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

No mate. Racism is racism! End of. The only good racist (black or white) is a dead racist.
    Watch how many racists take offense in the proposition of curtailing their stay on this mortal coil.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 1 Week Ago at 18:08.
    I suppose it's like the ticking crocodile, isn't it? Time is chasing after all of us.” ― J.M. Barrie

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    The only good racist (black or white) is a dead racist.
    That could be a lot of people, that aren't good yet

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    No mate. Racism is racism! End of. The only good racist (black or white) is a dead racist.
    Watch how many racists take offense in the proposition of curtailing their stay on this mortal coil.
    (There must be a Tongue in cheek icon missing...)
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Its very simple... its called human nature. When people feel singled out for something they do or say, they tend to feel aggrieved when they see others who do or say the same thing, but they are not singled out. As a referee you should understand this, you are likely to encounter this every weekend.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I reckon every single team with a dodgy name is feeling the pressure by now ....

Thread Information