Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 308

Thread: the Chiefs

      
  1. #41
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    1,851
    Thanks (Received)
    33
    Likes (Received)
    463

    Default Re: the Chiefs

    It developed from the position of the Additions to the name need to:

    1: be relevant.
    2: Not be disrespectful / offensive to others.
    3: make some sense.

  2. #42

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,741
    Thanks (Received)
    124
    Likes (Received)
    1449

    Default Re: the Chiefs

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Wasps
    Uh, oh
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  3. #43

    Referees in Australia
    TigerCraig's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Join Date
    19 May 08
    Posts
    1,416
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    215

    Default Re: the Chiefs

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    My point was those names I gave were never nicknames . They are the official, historic names of the clubs.
    It has always been common in England to have clubs that are not geographic. other examples are work based (civil service, police, law society etc) , old boys clubs, and some ethnic clubs
    London Welsh, Irish, scottics etc etc
    Again, I know. When I say informal nicknames I meant things outside the club name.

    Although, I have heard sports reporters here say "London Saracens" and "London Harlequins" in reports, even though its obviously wrong. Similarly even the ABC will say "Waikato Chiefs", "Wellington Hurricanes" etc
    Last edited by TigerCraig; 2 Weeks Ago at 13:07.

  4. #44

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    18,511
    Thanks (Received)
    169
    Likes (Received)
    1939

    Default Re: the Chiefs

    Harlequins briefly changed their name to NEC Harlequins .
    Wasps became London Wasps

    Did Quins add a London for a while? Wasn't that the rugby league side ?

  5. #45

    Advises in England
    OB..'s Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Join Date
    07 Oct 04
    Posts
    22,704
    Thanks (Received)
    131
    Likes (Received)
    1648

    Default Re: the Chiefs

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerCraig View Post
    Although, I have heard sports reporters here say "London Saracens" and "London Harlequins" in reports, even though its obviously wrong.
    Locally we have Bristol Saracens, Bath Saracens, Cardiff Saracens, and Cheltenham Saracens, not to mention Tamar Saracens, Newport Saracens, Exeter Saracens, Coventry Saracens. There is not usually any confusion because they play at very different levels, but ...

    (There is even a Toronto Saracens in Canada.)
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

  6. #46

    Advises in England
    OB..'s Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Join Date
    07 Oct 04
    Posts
    22,704
    Thanks (Received)
    131
    Likes (Received)
    1648

    Default Re: the Chiefs

    I have just looked up the teams in the old Sunday Telegraph Merit Leagues which immediately preceded the National Leagues. Here is a list, with the London teams preceded by an asterisk.

    *Blackheath
    *Harlequins
    *London Irish
    *London Scottish
    *London Welsh
    *Metropolitan Police
    *Richmond
    *Rosslyn Park
    *Saracens
    *Wasps
    Bath
    Bedford
    Birmingham
    Bristol
    Coventry
    Exeter
    Fylde
    Gloucester
    Gosforth
    Headingley
    Leicester
    Liverpool
    Morley
    Moseley
    Northampton
    Nottingham
    Nuneaton
    Orrell
    Plymouth
    Roundhay
    Sale
    Sheffield
    Vale of Lune
    Wakefield
    Waterloo
    West Hartlepool

    By and large, London teams have nicknames because there are so many of them, whereas other teams have town names.

    The main misfit is Richmond (they played in Richmond Park, London) which is also the name of a town in Yorkshire. The Yorkshire team calls itself Richmondshire.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

  7. #47

    Referees in England
    Lee Lifeson-Peart's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Join Date
    12 Mar 08
    Posts
    7,373
    Thanks (Received)
    60
    Likes (Received)
    724

    Default Re: the Chiefs

    Do Wasps have a "B" team?
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

  8. #48

    Referees in England
    Lee Lifeson-Peart's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Join Date
    12 Mar 08
    Posts
    7,373
    Thanks (Received)
    60
    Likes (Received)
    724

    Default Re: the Chiefs

    Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    I have just looked up the teams in the old Sunday Telegraph Merit Leagues which immediately preceded the National Leagues. Here is a list, with the London teams preceded by an asterisk.

    *Blackheath
    *Harlequins
    *London Irish
    *London Scottish
    *London Welsh
    *Metropolitan Police
    *Richmond
    *Rosslyn Park
    *Saracens
    *Wasps
    Bath
    Bedford
    Birmingham
    Bristol
    Coventry
    Exeter
    Fylde
    Gloucester
    Gosforth
    Headingley
    Leicester
    Liverpool
    Morley
    Moseley
    Northampton
    Nottingham
    Nuneaton
    Orrell
    Plymouth
    Roundhay
    Sale
    Sheffield
    Vale of Lune
    Wakefield
    Waterloo
    West Hartlepool

    By and large, London teams have nicknames because there are so many of them, whereas other teams have town names.

    The main misfit is Richmond (they played in Richmond Park, London) which is also the name of a town in Yorkshire. The Yorkshire team calls itself Richmondshire.
    Lots of the above towns are vague indistinct areas or suburbs in and around towns and cities - they may have been distinct towns in their own right once upon a time but now lots have been subsumed by their expanding neighbours.

    Fylde - a sort of peninsular round Blackpool
    Gosforth - Newcastle
    Headingley - North Leeds*
    Morley - South Leeds
    Moseley- Birmingham
    Orrell - a suburb of Wigan
    Roundhay - North Leeds*
    Sale - a town but really just part of Manchester.
    Vale of Lune - not a place, somewhere between Narnia and Lancaster.
    Waterloo - part of Sefton (Liverpool) on the beach near Crosby.

    * Merged to form Leeds/Yorkshire/Tykes/Carnegie - look what a roaring success that's been!

    Anyway I don't know what that proves other than I am a dab hand at geography!
    Last edited by Lee Lifeson-Peart; 2 Weeks Ago at 17:07.
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

  9. #49

    Advises in England
    OB..'s Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Join Date
    07 Oct 04
    Posts
    22,704
    Thanks (Received)
    131
    Likes (Received)
    1648

    Default Re: the Chiefs

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Lifeson-Peart View Post
    Lots of the above towns are vague indistinct areas or suburbs in and around towns and cities - they may have been distinct towns in their own right once upon a time but now lots have been subsumed by their expanding neighbours.

    Fylde - a sort of peninsular round Blackpool
    Gosforth - Newcastle
    Headingley - North Leeds*
    Morley - South Leeds
    Moseley- Birmingham
    Orrell - a suburb of Wigan
    Roundhay - North Leeds*
    Sale - a town but really just part of Manchester.
    Vale of Lune - not a place, somewhere between Narnia and Lancaster.
    Waterloo - part of Sefton (Liverpool) on the beach near Crosby.

    * Merged to form Leeds/Yorkshire/Tykes/Carnegie - look what a roaring success that's been!

    Anyway I don't know what that proves other than I am a dab hand at geography!
    My point was simply that outside London, the major clubs usually just had the name of their town, however you try to finesse it. Nicknames are a recent phenomenon.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

  10. #50

    Promises to Referee in France
    L'irlandais's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Join Date
    11 May 10
    Posts
    4,685
    Thanks (Received)
    50
    Likes (Received)
    269

    Default Re: the Chiefs

    It’s difficult for a club like Exeter to change their name again. Their brand will suffer from it. Professional Rugby franchises are businesses. And the hard reality is that professional rugby is a business with pretty small margins. The difference between breaking even and a making a loss comes down to those fine margins on the field of play. The difference between success and failure of the season can come down to getting a home quarter-final or not. Gate money, how far away from Pro soccer we are, in terms of that commodity.

    The suggestion to remain the Chiefs and rebrand the logo and mascot as some sort of Celtic chieftain seems a reasonable one. (See #35)
    What does a Dumnonii chief look like?
    207FD8A3-9C3D-4EB5-BE9E-85C0B4B7FF05.jpeg
    Little evidence of war chariots or horses ever found by archaeologists in Devon or Exeter, except, perhaps, a tiny fragment called a linch-pin that was found very recently at Loddiswell. But a little imagination could concocte one for the prematch arrival of the aforementioned chieftain. Surely that would move the club from cultural appropriation back to the realms of cultural appreciation.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 2 Weeks Ago at 20:07.
    I suppose it's like the ticking crocodile, isn't it? Time is chasing after all of us.” ― J.M. Barrie

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •