Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: the Chiefs

Quote Originally Posted by Camquin View Post
    I admit that the Welsh and Irish national teams have done well out of the franchise system.
    But how has the club game held up - and hw is the flow of Under 7s into tag rugby.
    But that is a different discussion.

But Cardiff needed to differentiate the professional saide form the club.
    Cf Scarlets and Llanelli, Sale Sharks and Sale FC, London Irish and LI Wild Geese.
    At least it is not completely pointless like Brstol Bears.
    The Scarlets were always the Scarlets. They just name the pro outfit with the nickname that was accociated with the club.
    The whole of Welsh rugby, below the national side, is in a mess.

Bristol have had so many pointless names they whole club is confused. I remember a pre-season game where the scoreboard stated "Bristol Shoguns" but the programme called them "Bristol Rugby". The fans? Well they said it was "Brizzle".

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    They are not the Manchester United Reds. They are Manchester United. Their nickname is the Red Devils. Yes you ate missing something very obvious.

I have no interest in either of Western Force or Melbourne Storm. I have, therefore, no idea about the origin of their names.
    I'm guessing this is one of them thar "first world problems". Not sure how we segued from cultural appropriation to "I don't like my team's name".
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I stand in solidarity with the Na'vi

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    If he was christened TED that would be his name. Whether it is daft or not is opinion. Cardiff had a perfectly good name until 2003 when Moffat stuck his oar in. The change to Cardiff Blues (or as some wanted just Blues) was done to create a false image (marketing gimmickery) We'd manage without the Blues bit for well over 100 years thanks.
    I think its a cultural difference. In Australia (like the US) sports teams have been the "Something Somethings" as a formal name for well over a hundred years. Its a newer phenomenon in the UK where informal nicknames have been the thing.

Whats got a lot of casual observers here confused in Super Rugby, and along with unfriendly time zones hasn't helped lift interest, is the use of a "Logo name" without a geographic name. The Highlanders v The Lions is meaningless, whereas even a non-rugby person can place Otago v Transvaal (and yes I know the reason is that in many cases the teams are amalgams of a number of unions)

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I thought we were discussing our cultural appréciation for the Welsh.
    4.0 Rugby really is a religion that we get over-invested and over-emotional about.

Caerwysg Chiefs has a nicer ring to it.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:07.
    I suppose it's like the ticking crocodile, isn't it? Time is chasing after all of us.” ― J.M. Barrie

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCraig View Post
    I think its a cultural difference. In Australia (like the US) sports teams have been the "Something Somethings" as a formal name for well over a hundred years. Its a newer phenomenon in the UK where informal nicknames have been the thing.

Whats got a lot of casual observers here confused in Super Rugby, and along with unfriendly time zones hasn't helped lift interest, is the use of a "Logo name" without a geographic name. The Highlanders v The Lions is meaningless, whereas even a non-rugby person can place Otago v Transvaal (and yes I know the reason is that in many cases the teams are amalgams of a number of unions)
    I wonder how the Japanese go with the Yakult Swallows, Orix Buffaloes and Chunichi Dragons
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    I wonder how the Japanese go with the Yakult Swallows, Orix Buffaloes and Chunichi Dragons
    When I was there I played the Coca-Cola West Red Sparks and tge Kyushu Power Voltex old boys

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCraig View Post

English rugby has always had non geographic names
    Harlequins, Saracens , Grasshoppers , Wasps survive to this day . Founding members of the RFu included flamingoes, gipsies, mohicans

There are many others

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    English rugby has always had non geographic names
    Harlequins, Saracens , Grasshoppers , Wasps survive to this day . Founding members of the RFu included flamingoes, gipsies, mohicans

There are many others
    I know, thats why I said "in Australia". Here you might get a Wanderers or Brothers at community level but its generally Place Mascot

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

My point was those names I gave were never nicknames . They are the official, historic names of the clubs.
    It has always been common in England to have clubs that are not geographic. other examples are work based (civil service, police, law society etc) , old boys clubs, and some ethnic clubs
    London Welsh, Irish, scottics etc etc

Thread Information