Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regulations on Junior boots

Paul MARFC

Default Regulations on Junior boots

I have searched the WRU website and have been unable to find the regulations on boots worn by under 12's junior rugby. A lot of players are requesting to wear blades, most of these have at least 8 to 10 blades. I understood the regulations were 6 studs but i'm unable to find it in writing.
    Has anyone else come across this, and any suggestions of where I can find the info especially as a lot of players will be asking santa!!! for new boots.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Gloucester, Plymouth & RNRURS
    Grade
    10+2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Regulations on Junior boots

Not sure about WRU regulations, but a couple of seasons ago the iRB changed the interpretation so that referees now only had to stop people playing with 'dangerous' boots - all 'football' studs and blade restrictions were thus removed (previously only Traxion blades could be worn). Not sure how this affected junior rugby below U13 though.

For anyone sad enough (I wasn't quite enough to read the whole thing), here is Regulation 12 (players clothing), Annex 2 goes into great depth and detail about studs (including tests, required strengths, and embossing limits... )
    Last edited by Simon Griffiths; 13-10-07 at 22:10. Reason: Adding extra, boring, detail...
    You're about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It is a matter of deep regret to many Continuum coaches that the RFU will not ban blades at ANY age.

There is no requirement of 6 studs, as you'll find if you wade through the annex of Regulation 12. Most boots have at least eight these days.

Basically, any stud is pretty much OK if it is not burred. No manufacturer uses nylon these days. The stud can be a soccer stud, a moulded stud, a plastic Blade or a metal Blade.

Sir Alex Ferguson has banned Blades for Manchester United players - not because of the damage they cause to opponents, but because of the damage they cause to his own players. Many people, Sir Alex included, feel that they give such strong grip that they put intolerable stress on the player's foot, leading to metatarsel injury. If you can get your club to follow suit, you'll be doing your lads a favour, in my view - not to mention striking a blow for child protection: both your own and your opposition's. Even if your club won't play ball, see if the parents would voluntarily follow SAF's lead.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Gloucester, Plymouth & RNRURS
    Grade
    10+2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I have to agree with Dixie, I'm in the anti-blade brigade.
    You're about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade
    SWG Match Observer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Personally I am against blades as a safety issue for both wearer and for other players in collisions.

However under IRB Law and Reg 12., they are legal and unless eroded down in a dangerous way (e.g sharp edges) I must allow them to be worn.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hon Sec of Liverpool & District
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Dixie - is it that all studs are OK?

In my youth - i know

I had 2 sets of studs - 1 for Union and 1 for League.... they were very different - although as I climbed through the teams in union I noticed my boots were checked less and less often

I always check - always warn about feet at this point and often tell lads I am unhappy with studs... they always sem to find some

I am amazed at the number of players with 1 missing - yesterday in an U17 game - I had 5 players in total with studs missing - 1 with 3 missing

Am I right in saying that each row must be filled across the boot
    i.e. in an 8 stud boot - usually 2 at back and 3 rows of 2
    I insist that each row is either full or empty - not half full

I know I am right in law on the front 2... am I right on any other row?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Advisor & reffing a bit.
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by newboy View Post
    Dixie - is it that all studs are OK?
    In effect, yes.

I had 2 sets of studs - 1 for Union and 1 for League.... they were very different
    The regulations are pretty perverse now. The approved Union stud drawing is still there and it is different to the League one and to the FA one come to that.

But then there's the ruling that says, more or less, "if it ain't likely to tear the skin, it's legal". (With the one exception that a single stud or blade at the toe is banned.)

I am amazed at the number of players with 1 missing - yesterday in an U17 game - I had 5 players in total with studs missing - 1 with 3 missing
    Yep, it's very common.

Am I right in saying that each row must be filled across the boot
    i.e. in an 8 stud boot - usually 2 at back and 3 rows of 2
    No. The prohibition is against boots with a single stud at the toe as a matter of design. Not a boot with a stud or two missing (unless the screw hole left behind has rough edges..).

I know I am right in law on the front 2... am I right on any other row?
    You're not right on either I'm afraid.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hon Sec of Liverpool & District
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Hmmm- thought the italics were needed

Always appear confident and you might just get away with it

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Though there has been a thread on here that proved that PaulDG's view is not universally held. Many refs would insist on a replacement to a missing front stud.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Advisor & reffing a bit.
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    Though there has been a thread on here that proved that PaulDG's view is not universally held. Many refs would insist on a replacement to a missing front stud.
    I don't have a problem with anyone who wants to insist on that - it's a safety matter and we're the sole judges, etc.

But the regulations are written to exclude a particular design of boot (I have a recollection of being told it was a short-lived Addidas design but as I never saw one, I'm not sure) - one with a stud or blade at the tip of the boot; not a conventional boot with a missing stud.

Thread Information