Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre Match Inspection of Boots etc.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Liverpool
    Grade
    New/Ungraded
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Pre Match Inspection of Boots etc.

I have been coaching juniors for 7 years and now they are Colts have decided to concentrate on reffing.

After all matches I agonise if I should have done this or that so after todays match my first posting to this forum

Just been assessed for ELRA Level 3 at a district 3 and 4th Team Match.

I inspected boots pre match like I always have done and pointed out to an experienced prop that his boots where not in a good condition and two others that their studs in my opinion where sharp (warn footie studs not rugby studs). The reaction I received was as though I had just landed from Mars. " Never had a problem before sir"

Am I being a pedant? I have always told the lads that coached that they should put rugby studs on any boots even if new and it was there responsibility to ensure in good condition. Not rocket science I think but am I makiing a rod for my own back?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire RURS (UK)
    Grade
    Society Assessor
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pre Match Inspection of Boots etc.

All you should be concerned with is if the studs are sharp.

If they are then the player cannot play in them.

You are no longer responsible for issues of construction, that is a club responsibilty. So don't worry if they are footy studs, but if sharp then the can't be used.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Keith - welcome to the forum, and a big welcome to the refereeing fraternity.

Studs - though I imaging we all prefer to see rounded Alistuds, there are no footie studs that are beyond the pale just because they are made for Lucifer's sport. AS DaveT says, if they are not sharp, they are allowed. However, the fact is that a footie stud degrades quicker than an Alistud. You are the sole judge of fact, and if they seem sharp to you, then you make sure they are dealt with.

Problem occurs when playing on sandy-soiled pitches. Most of us at the bottom end of the game check studs when the players are already on the pitch. Some sandy soils can make even the newest studs seem gritty and harsh. You'll soon find out whether any of the clubs near you present this problem, and if so then you need to work hard to deal with studs in the changing room.

When I played I checked studs every game, filed them where necessary and changed them every Christmas and at the start of each season. London Society refs in particular still had me filing them again 3-4 times per season, though it was unnecessary. Perhaps we have lost this as stud construction has improved - if you are going to take a tough stance on this, then good for you - but I would consider carrying a portable file with you in case your requirement, which is less common these days (though I hope not unusual) proves impossible for the teams to meet. Remember - if you require a change which they can't meet, and they take to the field without making the repairs, you need to issue a red card.

Don't let that stop you - high standards are the mark of a good ref, IMO. But so is anticipation and managing situations to prevent bigger problems.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Liverpool
    Grade
    New/Ungraded
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks to the comments on this and for the support.

My concern was that they where sharp and said so. Ididn't want to see anyone with a cut face after being caught by the boot.

I even told their coach that with 30 mins to kick off I would give him a set of studs to play in. His dad, who told me he was a society ref from another area, was outraged and said that he had never come across this before and where does say anything in the law book. It had not been passed to him that I had offered studs so a bit of miscommunication there.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Sussex
    Grade
    Preparing to return
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by keithewilson View Post
    His dad, who told me he was a society ref from another area, was outraged and said that he had never come across this before and where does say anything in the law book.
    4.3 (a), 4.4 (b), 4.5 (a), (b) or (c) and 6.A.4 (a) and if he was a Society ref then I'm the Tsar of all the Russia's.

...though a Society member did once say to me "Oh you don't bother with actually checking their studs do you?". Go figure.

Welcome to the club.
    "That's what we've been told, that's apparently how the referees are going to ref it, so at the moment none of us will have played in a game that's been reffed that way so it's going to be new on Saturday."

Martyn Williams BBC Website 5th February 2010

Referees in Switzerland

Soc/Assoc
    Swiss Rugby Federation
    Grade
    Swiss Federation
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I check studs, and have requested changes before.

Results:
    1 guy played in trainers (luckily a back)
    1 guy had to play as a sub (2nd row with trainers only - he changed boots with the guy going off)
    1 guy had to borrow some boots from a sub
    1 guy has borrowed a spare pair of mine
    1 school kid had the master in charge get him a new pair, and bill his parents!
    Countless players have used my spare studs - they were left over from the old days of playing, so I now have none left, but use Asics Gels so no need for studs.

And if "the ref last week" didn't do anything, and you don't, then you are "the ref last week" next week.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Advisor & reffing a bit.
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FlipFlop View Post
    1 guy played in trainers (luckily a back)
    1 guy had to play as a sub (2nd row with trainers only - he changed boots with the guy going off)
    What's the problem with trainers?

(FWIW, I've yet to see a problem with studs but have seen 2 broken soles of boots that have split and peeled away leaving a sharp ragged edge. One of these was at an U9s match where boot checks are very rare.)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Amazing.....well done Keith for sticking to your guns.

What would be the point of checking studs if we didn't do anything when we found sharps!

" Never had a problem before sir"
    Maybe they weren't sharp before laddy?

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Herts Society
    Grade
    C1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Am I being a pedant?
    stick around .... you'll find that you are as relaxed and laid back as a laid back hippie out of his head in a hammock compared to some hereabouts.

to people who say "i'm a ref blah blah blah" ... say "good for you, but i am in charge today in this match. We'll chat about it afterwards." let him stomp and rave ...
    you are in charge and as such are 'liable' for any studs you think are illegal - not him.
    good on ya

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ex-lucy View Post
    "i'm a ref blah blah blah" ...
    I never do this as I know how much it get's on my thruppenny bits when others do!

Bienvenue.
    And a crack on the head is what you get for asking... - Morrissey & Marr 1985

Thread Information