Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Haka

Cora Jones

Default The Haka

In the Wales "stare out" of the Haka last Saturday, the ref was trying to break them up to start the game. I have a few questions:

a) When two teams are on the field of play and the anthems are finished. Is there a time limit by which kick-off must commence by?

b) The Haka seems to be getting longer and longer to complete. Are there any rules on that?

c) If neither Wales or New Zealand had broken away from the "stare out," what options does the ref have?

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    FSR
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Haka

a) The kick offs are all meant to be done at exact times as far as I know (along with every thing else being done at the right time), that is definitely how it happens here in Hamilton where there are count downs for times to be on the field and kick off etc.

b) The times will all be worked out and timetabled in a very organized way. They will allow the appropriate amount of time for each pre match item.

c) Start the game with a free kick for time wasting (against the team that is supposed to be kicking off), I'm sure they'll start playing then. It will look ugly but that may be unavoidable.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Advisor & reffing a bit.
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jjtu View Post
    a) The kick offs are all meant to be done at exact times as far as I know (along with every thing else being done at the right time), that is definitely how it happens here in Hamilton where there are count downs for times to be on the field and kick off etc.
    There's no Law of the Game that requires a match to start at a particular time.

However, in lower level matches the league or cup competition rules will state kick off times and if those aren't followed then one or other of the teams may report the incident to the league/cup organisers and that may result in the docking of points or fines for the club, etc.

In Internationals, KO times are decided by the match sponsors - in reality these days by Sky TV. If their schedules are damaged by delayed KO they might get nasty about it.

But this incident was a dream moment for the TV companies - exaggerated tension right at the start of the match. Pure Theatre and bound to keep the paying public watching and paying their subscriptions!

Referees in Switzerland

Soc/Assoc
    Swiss Rugby Federation
    Grade
    Swiss Federation
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Personally I think the Haka should come BEFORE the anthems, unless both teams agree.

Why should the home side lose the passion that comes from their anthem being last and let the AB's gain extra passion right before KO?

But then I know it is about entertainment.......

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think it should come after the game so those that don't a fig for it can get on with their lives
    My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income - Errol Flynn

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It was interesting at Cardiff a few years back when the Welsh wanted to respond to the NK challenge by singing Land of My Fathers at them. NZ went off in a huff and did the haka in the changing room.

This says two things to me: 1) it's all about giving NZ the opportunity to intimidate the opposition and reduce their home advantage; 2) it's not about some honourable notion of laying down a time-honoured challenge, because a challenge can be responded to. IMO the haka, while excellent theatre and a joy to watch, represents the iRB allowing NZ an unfair advantage. If it is to continue, every opponent should insist on the right to respond - England could do a Morris dance (probably the one with white hankies).

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    It was interesting at Cardiff a few years back when the Welsh wanted to respond to the NK challenge by singing Land of My Fathers at them. NZ went off in a huff and did the haka in the changing room.

This says two things to me: 1) it's all about giving NZ the opportunity to intimidate the opposition and reduce their home advantage; 2) it's not about some honourable notion of laying down a time-honoured challenge, because a challenge can be responded to. IMO the haka, while excellent theatre and a joy to watch, represents the iRB allowing NZ an unfair advantage. If it is to continue, every opponent should insist on the right to respond - England could do a Morris dance (probably the one with white hankies).
    dixie, I'm not talking to you at the moment but i do agree with you. We (the crowd) were even banned from singing Waltzing Matilda not so long ago.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Dixie, I can't open PMs on this computer - can you post it on this thread?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Advisor & reffing a bit.
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    ...If it is to continue, every opponent should insist on the right to respond - England could do a Morris dance (probably the one with white hankies).
    I like a suggestion I've seen on another forum - that England should sip tea during the haka and give a polite round of applause when it finishes.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Club
    Grade
    Head of club section
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

i did like it in the other code when England turned their back on the Haka. when certain Kiwis whined about it and said that it was rude and disrespectful, a spokesman for the England camp pointed out that in 'our culture it's considered rude and disrespectful to poke your tongue out at someone'

maybe the team should all mimic what the kiwis do, to see if that turns the tables at all

Thread Information