Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Indiana
    Grade
    Level 6 (10 in Michigan)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Steve Walsh

After some time out of the game 'for personal reasons' Steve Walsh has announced that he is to quit refereeing in New Zealand. One of the best referees in the world in his time, he is now only just 36 years of age.
    This was on Rugbyrugby.com. It is interesting that he states he feels unsupported. I hope he can get himself well.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    USA Rugby and New England Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Territorial Panel
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Steve Walsh

It's a sad situation that he's in, and an example of the strain that these full time elite refs are under. They spend months on the road, in airports and hotels, each year. They perform a job where they are placed under immense scrutiny, and in many cases are very isolated.

From what I've heard (not all of which is substantiated), Steve ended up relying on the bottle to relax, and it got the better of him. A very sad situation. Hopefully he can get that under control and make a comeback, I personally like the way he referees, and while his personality comes off as abrasive to some, I find it entertaining.
    Formerly known as "TheHookah". Changed for reasons known only to shady government operatives, and blokes from Cambridge University.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    North Harbour
    Grade
    I am a Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Soc/Assoc
    Redruth RFC Fan
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

And that telling last para;

But at a time when the NZRU appears to have plenty of tolerance for the alcohol-related troubles of its players, it seems a shame that an excellent referee does not appear to have been given the same leeway.
    'Keep-on-Truckin' Robert Crumb

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by chopper15 View Post
    And that telling last para;

But at a time when the NZRU appears to have plenty of tolerance for the alcohol-related troubles of its players, it seems a shame that an excellent referee does not appear to have been given the same leeway.
    I found that unconvincing.

How much leeway should he be given? Apparently he has been getting counselling for some months. Do we know what the personal problems were that led him to drink? Do we have an accurate picture of the whole scenario?
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think Ian posted some background when this first surfaced some months ago.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Retired Referee in NZ

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    ANZ Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Shame

Underrated as a ref, especially in Europe, where he was regarded as too abrasive.

Steve Walsh was always a willing participant on talkback radio, especially on Murray Deaker's Saturday Scoreboard, where he would regularly talk to callers and answer questions. Not many refs are prepeared to do that

The issue if his run in with Dave Reddin at the 2003 RWC has been brought up again recently. FWIW, here's how I see this.

IMO Reddin was a lot more culpable for what happened that Walsh and should never have been cleared for what he did. If you are team coach and ANY official (4th official or not) tells you to get off the park (no matter how or what tone he uses) you leave immediately and without argument. You certainly don't tell the official to "f##k off". If that happens here in NZ, and it has, the coach is banned from the sideline for several weeks.

"The danger in arguing with idiots is that you risk being dragged down to their level and beaten with experience."

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Actually, I thought someone explained that his domestic relationship broke down and he appeared to have sought solace in the bottle, and his termination by NZ rugby was after his second or third infraction.

That was all - the Reddin and other issues weren't what I was thinking at all.

He wasn't to my taste as a referee - then again, I like Kaplan, so what does that say? - but on a human level it's very sad.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    North Harbour
    Grade
    I am a Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    ...., and his termination by NZ rugby was after his second or third infraction......
    Not sure that is the case?? - certainly there was no reference to other incidents in interviews by Walsh and Neil Sorenson NZRU.
    The NZRU issued the normal bland press release and later in the day Walsh was on Radio and he actually admitted it was due to his problems with booze but only referred to the Sydney incident.

Retired Referee in NZ

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    ANZ Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Basically, his relationship ended because it was strained by the distance. Melanie Robinson is a SkySports rugby journalist and often sideline commentator, so she ended up following NZ teams in the Super 14 and Tri-Nations. Steve Walsh, as a NZ referee, ended up anywhere the NZ teams weren't, following Australian and South African teams around. They hardly ever saw each other, so its not surprising that they busted up.

Steve took to the drink. Sad but true, and while this incident in Sydney was reported, there were others that were not. What a pity his career ended like this. At 36 he is unlikely to be making a comeback, but I hope the NZRU find a role for him somewhere, sometime in the future. He's a likeable character and has plenty to offer up and coming refs.

"The danger in arguing with idiots is that you risk being dragged down to their level and beaten with experience."

Thread Information