Chaps, i am thinking of devising a booklet with presentation (or visa versa) about best practices for refereeing Junior Rugby, i.e. how to ref U13s to U19s.
I have been reffing junior rugby for about 15 years. Seniors for two season now.
Years ago i remember reading Horner's booklet on reffing mini rugby and i think it is about time something was done for junior rugby.
Obviously i would like to utilise the great minds and experience on here.
I hope you wont mind be borrowing some of the info and opinions on here.
I think initially i will do a presentation to my club's other refs and then to my society and then to other clubs in my CB. Then anyone else interested.
Working titles for chapters are so far
1. Safety is paramount above all else. see RFU's dictum. Short chapter but referring to other chapters. And Child Protection (knowledge if CP is a prerequisite for reading the booklet) in rugby e.g. checking studs with coach present/ dont touch injured players.
2. Law Differences per age group. see Hants website.
3. Discussion on matters like scrums engage sequence, dropped mauls, tackles with more than 2 on the floor, line outs.
4. Advantage and when to use/ not to use it in junior rugby e.g. no adv for high tackles blow immedly but loads of time for adv for offside (ceteris paribus).
5. Prematch chats with capts and coaches.
6. How to deal with certain flashpoints baring in mind that these are kids.
7. How to deal with unruly parents/ coaches esp at U15s/U16s / U17s.
Any thoughts? Comments ?