Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    N
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Leggings

I know there's a couple of threads on this... Had email correspondence with a high up at the WRU Referees department recently who said he'd emailed the IRB who said they're illegal, there has been a lot of debate amongst ref's in these parts about them... Found on NS7 site today: http://www.ns7.co.uk/news.htm

OFFICIAL NOTICE TO ALL PLAYERS

The use of leggings/tights/skins has been outlawed by the IRB as from 1st March 2010 and ratified by the R.F.U.

Therefore the use of the above is NOT allowed at the National Sevens.

This applies equally to the BOYS and GIRLS tournaments

Can't find anything on the IRB site or RFU site to support this, although a high up at the WRU has told me they are not allowed.
    "Think about it, think about it, think about it. It's a thinking game." - Carwyn James

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Leggings

Use of leggings is a particular "bete noir" of mine.

I have had extensive conversations and email communications with DB of RFU on the topic (he is RFU Law Rep in liaison with IRB).

The guidance is clear - they are not allowed for playing.

NSS is organised by London Society (of which DB is a Commitee man, salaried RFU London & SE Referee Development Manager, etc) and London Society have made a very clear ruling through the NSS web site.

At our Society meeting I made it very clear to Hampshire's Refs that they should not be allowed in our County.

I will try to get some RFU or IRB documentation to support this.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Club
    Grade
    ELRA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Thomas View Post
    Use of leggings is a particular "bete noir" of mine.

I have had extensive conversations and email communications with DB of RFU on the topic (he is RFU Law Rep in liaison with IRB).

The guidance is clear - they are not allowed for playing.

NSS is organised by London Society (of which DB is a Commitee man, salaried RFU London & SE Referee Development Manager, etc) and London Society have made a very clear ruling through the NSS web site.

At our Society meeting I made it very clear to Hampshire's Refs that they should not be allowed in our County.

I will try to get some RFU or IRB documentation to support this.
    Does anyone find there is a correlation between a player's wearing of leggings, fluorescent boots, non standard team shorts and his desire to give running commentary on the game, decisions etc?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I have encouraged my U8's to wear thermal leggings & undershirts this year whilst we have been coaching & playing Tag Rugby. The last thing I wanted was a handful of cold and miserable kids on a Sunday morning.

What do people think about their use next year when we move on to contact?

I'm inclined to think that I will still allow/recommend it for a couple of years as I don't want them frozen out of the game.
    "I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat."
    (RON ATKINSON)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Somerset
    Grade
    There or there abouts
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think there's a big difference between league fixtures/national tournos, etc, and under-8s running about on a chilly Sunday morning.

For juniors training and even in matches I'd think anyone/referee who outlawed this needs a rocket.

As for older age groups/seniors, etc - different story. They're banned.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

has anyone a reference/source for this (pref online) and its extensions within the junior and child age groups (see above two comments which i entirely concur with)?

cheers

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

especially if he is also wearing white socks and has number 11 or 14 on his back

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Club
    Grade
    ELRA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Thomas View Post
    especially if he is also wearing white socks and has number 11 or 14 on his back
    Ha ha, sounds about right!
    Saw a prime example on Sat - 14 whinged at ref 'he tripped me', ref was already running off. Turned to me at TJ, 'didn't you see him trip me?'.
    My reply was 'no I didnt see that'.
    My thought was 'What I saw was you pussy out of taking your oppo on and slow up whereupon he dumped you, quite legitimately; you are now whining as a guy half your size bested you. Spend more time on your sidestep and acceration drills rather than shining your yellow boots and looking in the mirror.'

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

May I repeat what I wrote above :

The guidance is clear - they are not allowed for playing. Not sure how plainer that can be ?

Also to be very clear I have been told by RFU that there is no intention to ask kids of continuum age groups to remove leggings even in matches. And a sensible coach on cold days would encourage their use or track suit trousers.

Likewise we all need to show some common sense - when I reffed a match in full tracksuit and wet weather gear with bobble hat in Estonia a few years ago all the players had tracksuit trousers or ladies tights on - it was -15 !

Didds - as I said above I have asked for RFU / IRB documentation

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London
    Grade
    New/Ungraded
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I must admit to letting players, at junior and senior games. play in tights.
    I have far more important things to worry about that the guy in tights.
    Perhaps the 'blazers' should worry about more important things - the decline in adult playing numbers,the fall out of players after they leave school, the scrum and constant collapses, referee abuse. I'm sure other's can add more. No the guy in tights can play he's not going to harm anyone and at least he plays each week.

Thread Information