PDA

View Full Version : Referee Watch

medavidcook
03-09-14, 10:09
Hey, I am looking at getting a new watch for refereeing, I want it to countdown the times of the half and also vibrate at the end of the 40 mins. I will be wearing another watch that will be tracking HR and GPS data.

Have been looking at this.

Casio (http://www.referee-equipment.co.uk/Catalogue/Accessories/Watches-HRM/CASIO-W756-Referee-Timer-W-756-1AV)

Anyone use this or recommend another watch

Thanks

FlipFlop
not used that one, but use the casio rft100 which does what you ask....

medavidcook
Ok thanks i am also considering the Spintso Referee Watch. Just need to decide if i want to pay £99 and then delivery as can't get in the UK.

crossref
http://www.casio.com/products/Watches/Sports/RFT100-1V/

the casio website lets you download manuals so you can check exactly what the functions are

I like the RFT100 for the buzzer option.

The only downside is that the countdown timer only has certain preset options 45min, 40 min, 35min etc. At a sevens tournament last year we played 7min halves and the Casio won't let you start the countdown timer at 7mins. So I had to use my back up watch.

Phil E
03-09-14, 11:09
Ok thanks i am also considering the Spintso Referee Watch. Just need to decide if i want to pay £99 and then delivery as can't get in the UK.

I have the Spintso and its awesome. If you are serious about your refereeing then its money well spent.
I had to get mine from an Italian referees site, but would recommend calling A&H international to see if they have them in stock, or when they are getting some more in as its much easier if you have a problem with it. My first one just ate batteries and had to exchange it. Not had a single problem with the replacement.

TheBFG
03-09-14, 12:09

the casio website lets you download manuals so you can check exactly what the functions are

The only downside is that the countdown timer only has certain preset options 45min, 40 min, 35min etc. At a sevens tournament last year we played 7min halves and the Casio won't let you start the countdown timer at 7mins. So I had to use my back up watch.

The countdown timer on mine has a manual set, so anything from 1 min upwards! The pre-sets are used for things like bins and blood AFAIK?

crossref
03-09-14, 12:09
The countdown timer on mine has a manual set, so anything from 1 min upwards! The pre-sets are used for things like bins and blood AFAIK?

hmm... either we have slightly different models, or I am not using it right! I'll have to go home and RTFM

TheBFG
03-09-14, 13:09
stopwatch mode, hold down top left button, gives you the countdown timer, this can be changed by the minute on my watch which I think is the same?

Phil E
03-09-14, 14:09
stopwatch mode, hold down top left button, gives you the countdown timer, this can be changed by the minute on my watch which I think is the same?

Isn't stopwatch mode count UP, not DOWN?

TheBFG
good point! press mode once and then top left to get to time for countdown. Not got it on so can't check :wink:

Bunniksider
Isn't stopwatch mode count UP, not DOWN?

Yes stopwatch mode is count up. Time can be set as BFG says by holding top left button then using right hand buttuns to set target time.

I wish that it would vibrate after playing time reached the target as well as when elapsed time does so.

Also if the timer was paused when playing time was paused that would help with sin bins.

But the Casio is a great watch.

4eyesbetter
03-09-14, 15:09
Yes stopwatch mode is count up. Time can be set as BFG says by holding top left button then using right hand buttuns to set target time.

I wish that it would vibrate after playing time reached the target as well as when elapsed time does so.

This is why you set target time to 40 (or 39), start it counting up, then flick over to countdown from 40 and use that as a stopping watch...

Phil E
03-09-14, 17:09
This is why you set target time to 40 (or 39), start it counting up, then flick over to countdown from 40 and use that as a stopping watch...

Or buy a Spintso which has countdown as well as up.......and vibrates when paused to remind you to restart.....among some oither great features. But you get what you pay for.

crossref
and vibrates when paused to remind you to restart......

I think that is really worth paying for. forgetting to restart the watch (and who hasn't done that?) is a real nightmare.

Jacko
I think that is really worth paying for. forgetting to restart the watch (and who hasn't done that?) is a real nightmare.

Yup - I do it most weeks.

Phil E

It vibrates every 10 seconds when paused. Great feature.

Lee Lifeson-Peart
03-09-14, 18:09
A little lad was showing his new watch to his friend.

"Where did you get that? It's awesome" said the friend.
"Well, I came home early from school and I heard some noise from upstairs. I crept upstairs and saw the milkman in bed with my mam. The milkman saw me and said if I keep quiet I can have this watch. Good eh?"

The friends parted and the second boy went home jealous of his friend's watch. As he got in the house he heard noises from upstairs. He crept upstairs and peeped in his parent's room. His mother was in bed with the milkman. He opened the door and asked

"Can I have a watch?

"Of course you can", said the milkman "pull up a chair!"

talbazar
03-09-14, 18:09
It vibrates every 10 seconds when paused. Great feature.

That's my favorite feature of the Spintso.
I do like the non-stoping time as well...

A little trick I find useful:
Set the number of periods to 3 instead of 2... When you've got a try scored at the last minutes (or worse after the time is off), the clock keeps ticking instead of stopping fully... Which allow you to check the time taken for conversion :biggrin:

ddjamo
10-10-14, 21:10
had a new battery put in my main casio sport today. the gent at the watch shop told me to not try it on my own - a couple things cannot be disturbed in there says he. $8 well worth it. thought I would pass that on.

Womble
10-10-14, 21:10
You guys will be talking about note pads to keep the score on next !

ddjamo
10-10-14, 22:10
surely you keep time womble?

Daftmedic
10-10-14, 23:10
I have a £5.99 watch. It's amazing. I can set running time and game time.
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l541/daftmedic/gasp_zps24f0da14.jpg (http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/daftmedic/media/gasp_zps24f0da14.jpg.html)

Accylad
10-10-14, 23:10
Thanks for the tutorial on using the rft100 fellas. Looking forward to running stopwatch and timer at the same time tomorrow for the first time.

Simon Thomas
11-10-14, 09:10
Yup - I do it most weeks.

I then blame the referee I am watching for not calling time back on and using the arm up signal :biggrin:

I use three timepieces when Match Observing

1. Smartphone running elapsed time
2. Old Casio I used as a referee for playing time off / restart, and Yellow Cards
3. Old stopwatch for blood bin

OB..
11-10-14, 11:10
3. Old stopwatch for blood binThat implies no Rolling Subs?

Daftmedic
12-10-14, 00:10
Blood etc is an interchange.

OB..
12-10-14, 16:10
Blood etc is an interchange.But then there is no time limit, surely?

Taff
13-10-14, 00:10
had a new battery put in my main casio sport today. the gent at the watch shop told me to not try it on my own - a couple things cannot be disturbed in there says he. $8 well worth it.I thought the mains reason Casio advised to get the battery changed properly was to keep it waterproof.

I think that is really worth paying for. forgetting to restart the watch (and who hasn't done that?) is a real nightmare.Top Tip: Just before KO, I now write down the start time and the time the game is expected to finish on the score card. At least then if I do boob, I only need to add on an estimate for injuries etc.

Pegleg
14-10-14, 12:10
The Casio runs one timer non-stop for the 40 mins of if you do forget to restart you have a good approximation anyway.

crossref
14-10-14, 12:10
Top Tip: Just before KO, I now write down the start time and the time the game is expected to finish on the score card. At least then if I do boob, I only need to add on an estimate for injuries etc.

I do that as well. It's a good tip. And/or I normally wear a second watch (actually a GPS tracker to see how far I run, thats why I wear it) which displays elapsed time for me. So as long as I start them both roughly at the same time, I am good.

TheBFG
14-10-14, 13:10
MSF....

- - - Updated - - -

surely you keep time womble?

No he doesn't!

crossref
12-02-15, 11:02
Last week I arrived at the game and battery flat on my RFT100 watch!
Of course I have a back up watch in my bag so it wasn't a problem.

took the watch to have battery changed, and they somehow broke it :-(

So now have bought a new watch, and after some reearch bought this one
http://www.timex.co.uk/watches/expedition-shock-xl-vibrating-alarm-t49950su

It has vibration and/or bleep
Runs an upward and/or downward timer
** XL display so that referees for a certain age can read the numbers :) **
doesn't look so geeky as the SPINTSO, and half the price (lots of shops seeling ot for £50)

of course it doesn't have the buzz-when-paused feature

Stanc
i have to take my dog with me to games to keep time, he ate my watch and it makes a noise every 40min.

oldman
No doubt a watchdog!

Browner
12-02-15, 12:02
:offtopic:

Went into a 'Clock repair' shop, slapped my dick on the counter in front of the female assistant ....

"Oh no, I can see what you've done Sir, you've misread our sign" she said rather smugly , "we repair knackered old Clocks"

"In that case young lady", I replied with a smirk .... "put two hands and a face on that "

:pepper:

TheBFG
12-02-15, 12:02
drum drum cymbal

TheBFG
12-02-15, 13:02

doesn't look so geeky as the SPINTSO, and half the price (lots of shops seeling ot for £50)

Did the shop replace your watch they "broke"????? :mad:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Speaking of RFT100 - I got muddied up last month and the watch was covered. After a wash all was well except the watch now vibrates once every 2 or 3 minutes. What have I done to cause that or was it the mud? The buttons (LHS of the face) were jammed solid for a bit 'til I managed to free 'em up.

Lee Lifeson-Peart
:offtopic:

Went into a 'Clock repair' shop, slapped my dick on the counter in front of the female assistant ....

"Oh no, I can see what you've done Sir, you've misread our sign" she said rather smugly , "we repair knackered old Clocks"

"In that case young lady", I replied with a smirk .... "put two hands and a face on that "

:pepper:

Back on topic - more jokes!

This one hasn't had an airing since 2011 incidentally in a thread entitled Referee Watch:-

Two boys Tommy and Jimmy were playing in the street. Jimmy was admiring Tommy’s new watch.
“Where’d you get that?”, asked Jimmy
“Well I caught the milkman shagging me mam and he bought me this so I’ll keep quiet”, explained Tommy

“Brilliant”, said Jimmy.

Jimmy went home and heard a noise from upstairs. He crept upstairs and peeked in his mum’s room. On the bed the coalman (this is an old joke) was giving his mum a good seeing to.

Jimmy steps into the room and asks “Can I have a watch?”
“Certainly” says the coalman.................“Pull up a chair”

Taa daa! :pepper:

crossref
Speaking of RFT100 - I got muddied up last month and the watch was covered. After a wash all was well except the watch now vibrates once every 2 or 3 minutes. What have I done to cause that or was it the mud? The buttons (LHS of the face) were jammed solid for a bit 'til I managed to free 'em up.

how did you free them up? as that's the problem I now have - working battery, but jammed buttons.

Lee Lifeson-Peart
how did you free them up? as that's the problem I now have - working battery, but jammed buttons.

Ahem. Now you've caught me out :redface:. I don't know. I'll ask Mrs LLP - she picked it up and did it after I threw it in my bag with loud "f*ck!"

menace
12-02-15, 23:02

Is that your watch or your wife? If you figure it out...can you let us all know.

Dickie E
13-02-15, 05:02
... and if we're blowing the dust off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th0G8rkhBqg

peperami
15-02-15, 16:02

Crossref, use the stop watch it allows you to specify a target time which counts up to it and gives you running and stopped time. Nice and easy for changing for Youth games and Sevens and Adult.

JJ10
15-02-15, 22:02
Sadly I can't seem to get hold of a RFT100 for love nor money in the UK or US. Sad times. The timex looks huge.

My current 8 quid Casio only counts up, which does a job, and has never failed me, but a countdown one would be nice....