PDA

View Full Version : No 8 Lifting The Ball?

Taff
11-09-15, 22:09
Had my first game of the season yesterday; effectively a good quality trial match.

At scrums, with the ball at the back and close to his legs Green 8 would reach down, pick up the ball one handed, lift it and present it to the No 9 by holding it between his legs. Instead of picking the ball off the floor, the No 9 would just take it from the No 8s hands. The No 8 stayed fully bound at all times.

The first 2 or 3 times it happened, took my by surprise. After that, I kept thinking "This doesn't look right" but at the same time it seemed petty to penalise him for it. I was half hoping the No 9 would fumble it and knock it forward but he didn't. Bearing in mind these laws, it would be interesting to see what do you think? :chin:

20.10 Ending the scrum
(c) Hindmost player unbinds. The hindmost player in a scrum is the player whose feet are nearest the team’s own goal line. If the hindmost player unbinds from the scrum with the ball at that player’s feet and picks up the ball, the scrum ends.
20.9 Scrum - general restrictions
(b) All players: Handling in the scrum. Players must not handle the ball in the scrum or pick it up with their legs. Sanction: Penalty kick

RobLev
11-09-15, 23:09
Had my first game of the season yesterday; effectively a good quality trial match.

At scrums, with the ball at the back and close to his legs Green 8 would reach down, pick up the ball one handed, lift it and present it to the No 9 by holding it between his legs. Instead of picking the ball off the floor, the No 9 would just take it from the No 8s hands. The No 8 stayed fully bound at all times.

The first 2 or 3 times it happened, took my by surprise. After that, I kept thinking "This doesn't look right" but at the same time it seemed petty to penalise him for it. I was half hoping the No 9 would fumble it and knock it forward but he didn't. Bearing in mind these laws, it would be interesting to see what do you think? :chin:

20.10 Ending the scrum
(c) Hindmost player unbinds. The hindmost player in a scrum is the player whose feet are nearest the teamís own goal line. If the hindmost player unbinds from the scrum with the ball at that playerís feet and picks up the ball, the scrum ends.
20.9 Scrum - general restrictions
(b) All players: Handling in the scrum. Players must not handle the ball in the scrum or pick it up with their legs. Sanction: Penalty kick

He's handling in the scrum - PK against, surely? Until he unbinds (with the ball at his feet) the scrum continues - so picking it up while still bound falls foul of 20.9(b).

Ian_Cook
12-09-15, 00:09
Manage it with ATP

First point out that he must completely unbind when he picks up the ball or he's handling in the scrum.

Dickie E
12-09-15, 02:09
Manage it with ATP

First point out that he must completely unbind when he picks up the ball or he's handling in the scrum.

Agree. Let the first go then at next scrum tell him not to do it anymore.

tim White
12-09-15, 11:09
You can always call 'Ball is out, Play on' -I'm surprised the opposition scrum-half has not already tackled him once he touched the ball. :confused:

OB..
12-09-15, 11:09
Clearly illegal as others have said. They were probably trying it out to see if they could get away with it.

Daftmedic
13-09-15, 12:09
Manage it early.

Taff
13-09-15, 13:09
Manage it with ATP.
Fair point. I haven't heard the phrase "ATP" on here for a while.

I'm surprised the opposition scrum-half has not already tackled him once he touched the ball. :confused:
True. Perhaps he was unsure as well. It was certainly a strange tactic; I just couldn't see what they gained by it.

Dixie
14-09-15, 09:09
True. Perhaps he was unsure as well. It was certainly a strange tactic; I just couldn't see what they gained by it. Ball on a plate for the SH. God knows, they've little enough left of the skills someone like Simon Thomas would once have considered basic; don't let them get away with this. As others have said, ATP (but probably leaving out the T).

TigerCraig
25-09-15, 03:09
Probably the SH did not have a great pass from ground level so getting it higher suited him

What I would like to do:

Let the SH get the tripe smashed out of him by 2 flankers and the opp SH and laugh uproariously at him

What I would actually do:

Like others have said, tell him not to do it again