PDA

View Full Version : [Kit] Players wearing gloves

Jolly Roger
29-12-17, 19:12
Last weekend James O’Connor playing for Sale Sharks against Bath was wearing gloves covering the full length of his fingers.

Law 4.4 Banned items of clothing:
(e) A player must not wear gloves.

Regulation 12 states that mits can be worn with fingers extending to the outer joint but no further.

Does anyone know whether James O’Connor had specific dispensation or whether there has been a change to Law 4 or Regulation 12?

Pinky
31-12-17, 15:12
Haven't seen it, but I wonder if he was wearing mitts with tape on the ends of his fingers? Quite a number of premiership playes seem to be taping fingers from at least the middle joint.

Pegleg
31-12-17, 15:12
A picture would be helpful.

OB..
31-12-17, 17:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R3cvbLsbAk

Hope that helps!

Happy New Year everyone.

Pegleg
31-12-17, 18:12

Jolly Roger
31-12-17, 19:12

See link

http://e2.365dm.com/17/12/16-9/20/skysports-james-oconnor-sale-sharks_4190733.jpg?20171223171337

And

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/james-oconnor-of-sale-sharks-during-the-aviva-premiership-match-sale-picture-id897749208?s=612x612

Pegleg
Those photos, from several games, all show what looks like gloves to me. Than you. So it would be interesting to know why officials let him wear them.

Camquin
Presumably because the referee failed to tell him to remove them and the opposition failed to complain.

Pegleg
Presumably because the referee failed to tell him to remove them and the opposition failed to complain.

Well yes clearly he failed. But you not answered the question:

"WHY?"

Zebra1922
03-01-18, 23:01
Just another example of referees not enforcing clothing regulations at the top level. I'm thinking big shoulder pads, chest pads, upper arm pads etc which make a mockery of the official limits on such protection.

I don't want rugby heading the American Football way (I enjoy that game immensely, but I don't want rugby heading down the 'protection' route)

Not Kurt Weaver
04-01-18, 00:01
Just another example of referees not enforcing clothing regulations at the top level. I'm thinking big shoulder pads, chest pads, upper arm pads etc which make a mockery of the official limits on such protection.

I don't want rugby heading the American Football way (I enjoy that game immensely, but I don't want rugby heading down the 'protection' route)

The irony is, with the exception of the helmet, gridiron players are wearing moving toward less padding

KML1
04-01-18, 01:01
I know a TMO who’s at Sale this weekend.... Will have a word!

Dickie E
04-01-18, 04:01
Well yes clearly he failed. But you not answered the question:

"WHY?"

That's like asking why do pre-pubescent girls swoon over Justin Bieber.

He's James O'Connor! Isn't that enough?

DocY
04-01-18, 11:01
At least he wasn't wearing leggings...

Pegleg
That's like asking why do pre-pubescent girls swoon over Justin Bieber.

He's James O'Connor! Isn't that enough?

That was not the question it was:

So it would be interesting to know why officials let him wear them?

Blackberry
At least he wasn't wearing leggings...

Are leggings not permitted then?

DocY
04-01-18, 12:01

Not unless that's changed in the new law book.

But it was a reference to a very, very, very long thread about leggings from a few years ago.

crossref
Why do the Laws allow mitts but not gloves ?

Blackberry
Not unless that's changed in the new law book.

But it was a reference to a very, very, very long thread about leggings from a few years ago.

Really? Er, what was the outcome?

crossref
04-01-18, 13:01
Really? Er, what was the outcome?

They are OK INSIDE the in goal, not when they occur in the Field Of Play

TheBFG
04-01-18, 14:01
My guess it's a bit like top players being allowed to wear studs "we'd" say "no way" to?

Simon Thomas
07-01-18, 10:01
I know a TMO who’s at Sale this weekend.... Will have a word!

What was the response ? ;-)

Simon Thomas
07-01-18, 10:01

Fly-fishing with JR Blackberry- not biting today.

Zebra1922
07-01-18, 13:01
My guess it's a bit like top players being allowed to wear studs "we'd" say "no way" to?

I had a player this weekend keeping a foot on the ground at the stud check, turned out he only had 3 (of 6) front studs. Told him I would allow 4 at the front, so he needed at least 1 more. 10 minutes later check again, still no extra studs (with lots of talk about not being able to find any...) so a warning to him (and his coach) if I see him on the field with just those 3 studs he will be sent off. Amazing how he then managed to find a stud.....

Jolly Roger
07-01-18, 13:01
Anyone seen anything like this before? Jacob Van Der Walt playing for Edinburgh against Southern Kings on Friday night.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Jaco+Van+Der+Walt+Edinburgh+v+Southern+Kings+Jw8CD KXaJFCl.jpg

What is there to stop players taping their hands up (home made tape glove) to get around the glove regulation?

Camquin
07-01-18, 14:01
Zebra1922 - well done.

Jolly Roger - as far as I can see nothing, unless the referee deems it dangerous or illegal and asks for it to be removed under 4.6

Pinky
07-01-18, 21:01
Anyone seen anything like this before? Jacob Van Der Walt playing for Edinburgh against Southern Kings on Friday night.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Jaco+Van+Der+Walt+Edinburgh+v+Southern+Kings+Jw8CD KXaJFCl.jpg

What is there to stop players taping their hands up (home made tape glove) to get around the glove regulation?

That's what I was referring to above, that tape with mitts would effectively be gloves.

Blackberry
08-01-18, 10:01
Fly-fishing with JR Blackberry- not biting today.
Here's a posting just for the Hampshire boys. When I lived in Whiteparish the guy opposite me worked on the JR Hartley campaign for Yellow Pages.

Phil E
08-01-18, 11:01
I had a player this weekend keeping a foot on the ground at the stud check, turned out he only had 3 (of 6) front studs. Told him I would allow 4 at the front, so he needed at least 1 more. 10 minutes later check again, still no extra studs (with lots of talk about not being able to find any...) so a warning to him (and his coach) if I see him on the field with just those 3 studs he will be sent off. Amazing how he then managed to find a stud.....

I have a little bag of studs that have come off all my old boots.
If they get desperate I offer them a choice from those.

didds
08-01-18, 12:01
That's what I was referring to above, that tape with mitts would effectively be gloves.

If the crucial part of that the tape makes "the gloves" then what is the difference between taped fingers with or without mitts?

The tape is either a benefit or its not, and the mitts redundant surely? i.e. what does the tape WITH mitts give a player that tape without mitts doesn't?

didds

Pinky
08-01-18, 16:01
I presume stickier fingers :o)

didds
In whiuch case its the tape that helps, rather than the wearing of mitts. So again, what difference does it make with or without mitts? So why fixate on mitts + tape = Bad. when its presumably tape = BAD?

didds

Lee Lifeson-Peart
Mitts were quite fashionable about 10-15 years ago (Ben Kay, Steve Thompson etc) especially with kids.

The last person I saw wearing them religiously was Andy Goode. His were obviously coated in something that meant his grip on pies, cakes and pasties was so strong he had to prise the offending pastries off with his teeth.

I can't recall the last person I saw wearing them at my level(s)

crossref
08-01-18, 17:01
What's the logic in banning gloves but not mitts ?

thepercy
08-01-18, 17:01
What's the logic in banning gloves but not mitts ?

Same reason leggings are banned, it looks wrong.

crossref
08-01-18, 18:01
If that's the case, then that's the answer to question of tape .. if it *looks like* gloves then it looks equally wrong..

It would also answer the question about whether refs can wear them .. if it's all about looks then no, as it looks just as wrong

Rich_NL
09-01-18, 09:01
Cloth can snag and get snagged. Fingers are easy to break and dislocate.

I'd guess that's the rationale. I'm sure WR would have no problem with a player wearing mittens :P

crossref
09-01-18, 10:01
If that's the reason , then it would follow that individually taped fingers are fine

People tape fingers all the time and it doesn't matter that it happened to look like a glove

davsas
12-01-18, 13:01
Not related to gloves but in response to an answer what are the official rule on studs. I have looked at 12 but not much detail there
how many missing do you allow, as had players with missing but hole blocked?

Phil E
12-01-18, 14:01
Last weekend James O’Connor playing for Sale Sharks against Bath was wearing gloves covering the full length of his fingers.
Does anyone know whether James O’Connor had specific dispensation or whether there has been a change to Law 4 or Regulation 12?

I have it on the best authority that this shouldn't have been allowed....and won't be in the future.