PDA

View Full Version : 2018 boots thread

shnipvanwinkel
23-01-18, 06:01
Hey All,

What is everyone wearing on their feet on the pitch this season? Need to purchase a new pair as my old ones have given up the ghost of being shoes!

Thanks,

SHNIP

crossref
23-01-18, 08:01
The old Casio RFT-100 s I would recommend, but hard to get hold of nowadays

shnipvanwinkel
23-01-18, 09:01
Blimey that must look strange on your ankle!

crossref
It helps to stop my leggings falling down

Flish
Adidas Kakari Light SG (but bought in the sale so less than half the RRP of current range), although these were bought as playing boots not refereeing, but work well for me. A light boot, good enough studs for the boggy swamps, but work well in the drier summer months too, decent all rounders.

Phil E
23-01-18, 11:01
Any Asics Gel boot.

Jolly Roger
23-01-18, 11:01
I have just bought a pair of Adidas Kakari Elite SG, also in the sale, for 40. I am normally a 9 but as Adidas are fairly small so I went for a 10. Fit perfectly, a bit tight across the arch to start with but ease off quickly. Great studs (x8) for the quagmires this time of year. I added a heel pad to add an extra few mm of lift and they fee excellent. Only worn 3 times but very happy so far.
Last pair of Mizunos lasted a number of years but seem to be very expensive.

Pinky
23-01-18, 16:01
Adidas Preditor SG boots, replacing Adidas F50s (two pairs). Available on line at good discounts - all under 50. Very light, good grip and last pair quite dark coloured all over.

Simon Thomas
23-01-18, 17:01
It helps to stop my leggings falling down

Not biting today :deadhorse:

Phil E
23-01-18, 17:01

Simon's boot of choice is a Barbour Wellington :biggrin:

Zebra1922
23-01-18, 18:01
I got some Puma King for this season, always wanted a pair of these when I was a kid.

shnipvanwinkel
23-01-18, 18:01
Simon's boot of choice is a Barbour Wellington :biggrin:

Still with ironed white laces mind you?

SimonSmith
24-01-18, 00:01
Still with ironed white laces mind you?
Dear boy, that simply won't do.

Hunter wellies, well polished by the Help. Barbour jacket suitably waxed. A suitable "hrumph" at any dry spots and a some muttering about not getting.

I like to think of SimonT as inhabiting some kind of post-Wodehousian or post-Wimsey world. It's a false image, but one I like.

Dickie E
24-01-18, 01:01
anything with the word Asics written on the box

TigerCraig
24-01-18, 03:01
anything with the word Asics written on the box

I normally go asics but I picked up some Patrick's screw in studs last year in Cardiff for about GBP30 which have been great

Dickie E
24-01-18, 04:01
I normally go asics but I picked up some Patrick's screw in studs last year in Cardiff for about GBP30 which have been great

screw ins? Your grounds must be softer than ours.

TigerCraig
24-01-18, 06:01
Alo of the time they are. I have molded as well. Plus when I play I'm in the front row

Phil E
24-01-18, 10:01
Dear boy, that simply won't do.

Hunter wellies, well polished by the Help. Barbour jacket suitably waxed. A suitable "hrumph" at any dry spots and a some muttering about not getting.

I like to think of SimonT as inhabiting some kind of post-Wodehousian or post-Wimsey world. It's a false image, but one I like.

msf

Dickie E
24-01-18, 11:01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9nDHupVqVw&t=234s

love it!

Lee Lifeson-Peart
I have these in the winter.

And these in the summer.

If you've got little feet ie <9 then there's some massive discounts at Lovell Rugby on Asics and maybe others. I can't be arsed trawling the whole range.

Dickie E
this is my summer footwear of choice

shnipvanwinkel
this is my summer footwear of choice

*Ahem*

HAARRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUMPH

crossref
24-01-18, 12:01
Does anyone clean their boots ?

Phil E
24-01-18, 12:01

Every week, then apply some Dubbin.

Pinky
24-01-18, 16:01

Occasionally cool wash in the dishwasher

Jolly Roger
24-01-18, 18:01

Bull the toe caps nightly with a Silvyet cloth and Parade Gloss

crossref
I put mine in the boiler cupboard to dry out, and then bang them together to knock the mud off

shnipvanwinkel

What is the opposite of Hrrrumph? I think this deserves it.

Brasso the eyelets and studs too.

shnipvanwinkel
24-01-18, 23:01
http://www.rugbystore.co.uk/boots/allrugbyboots/p012y-9001-ascs-lethal-rugby-boot

Went for these in the end.

SimonSmith
25-01-18, 01:01
What is the opposite of Hrrrumph? I think this deserves it.

Brasso the eyelets and studs too.

Oh, you're going to fit right in. Thomas Towers is at the end of the long gravel drive. Be sure to give your card to Bunter.

Phil E
25-01-18, 10:01

Don't forget to polish the instep. :nono:

shnipvanwinkel
25-01-18, 11:01
Don't forget to polish the instep. :nono:

sharp ironed creases in the shorts?

Phil E
25-01-18, 11:01
sharp ironed creases in the shorts?

Sewn in creases :wink:

CrouchTPEngage
26-01-18, 10:01
I was "volunteered" to ref a sevens festival last season. Its hard work ! And I was aching the next day in places I didnt know could ache ! The ground was pretty dry so I wore trainers/running shoes. Nobody said anything about them not being boots and they gripped perfectly.
Just a tip, whenever you get to do a day's worth of sevens games (very few breaks ) , and it's a dry, I'd go for running shoes every time !

Jolly Roger
26-01-18, 12:01
I was "volunteered" to ref a sevens festival last season. Its hard work ! And I was aching the next day in places I didnt know could ache ! The ground was pretty dry so I wore trainers/running shoes. Nobody said anything about them not being boots and they gripped perfectly.
Just a tip, whenever you get to do a day's worth of sevens games (very few breaks ) , and it's a dry, I'd go for running shoes every time !

But be careful if there is any dew at the start of the day or even the slightest drizzle during the game. I pulled a hamstring reffing in trail shoes when my foot slipped as I pushed off to change direction. I have some astro boots (multiple pimples on the sole) which I use for 7s. I can see that running shoes would be good for TJ and in-goal though.

SimonSmith
26-01-18, 14:01
Jamo, passim, liked Trail Runners.

Every set of boots I have - soft/muddy, firm, or hard conditions -are Asics Gel variants. The best I've had is the Lacrosse File shoe, which is ideal for 95% of the ground conditions I get in Virginia

ChrisR
26-01-18, 14:01
Indoors or out I put Sorbothane (sp?) inserts, or heel cups, to lessen the shock of hard grounds.

Phil E
26-01-18, 15:01
Indoors or out I put Sorbothane (sp?) inserts, or heel cups, to lessen the shock of hard grounds.

That's what the "gel" part of Asics Gel boots does.

WombleRef
30-01-18, 14:01
I have a Blue and Orange pair of these: https://www.xbladessports.com/boots/legend-flash-17-green-black

Without a doubt one of the best boots I've ever used. Great on all but the softest of pitch when I have to switch to a pair of Asics Soft Ground boots (that I don't particularly enjoy wearing as they feel so much heavier than the Xblades).

Tempted to buy the Soft-ground version of the Xblades for 25... Hmm do I need another pair of boots?

Lee Lifeson-Peart
30-01-18, 16:01
I have a Blue and Orange pair of these: https://www.xbladessports.com/boots/legend-flash-17-green-black

Without a doubt one of the best boots I've ever used. Great on all but the softest of pitch when I have to switch to a pair of Asics Soft Ground boots (that I don't particularly enjoy wearing as they feel so much heavier than the Xblades).

Tempted to buy the Soft-ground version of the Xblades for 25... Hmm do I need another pair of boots?

Blue and Orange???

I can hear North Hampshire District Hospital's Hypertension consultant's pager going off from here......................................before being transferred to a nice private hospital for nice people of course.

Harrrrr and indeed umphhhhhhh... for good measure.

ChrisR
30-01-18, 16:01
"Hmm do I need another pair of boots?"

As Imelda Marcos was heard to say: "You can't have too many rugby boots".

shnipvanwinkel
30-01-18, 17:01
Blue and Orange???

I can hear North Hampshire District Hospital's Hypertension consultant's pager going off from here......................................before being transferred to a nice private hospital for nice people of course.

Good gracious, but I'm sure he can fix that with some of this:

and these:

On a separate note, do we think Prince Charles is moonlighting as a rugby referee? (https://lisawallerrogers.com/2011/11/12/prince-charles-likes-his-shoelaces-ironed/)

Phil E
30-01-18, 17:01
I see your Parade Gloss and raise you a tin of Dubbin.

OB..
30-01-18, 19:01
On a separate note, do we think Prince Charles is moonlighting as a rugby referee? (https://lisawallerrogers.com/2011/11/12/prince-charles-likes-his-shoelaces-ironed/)
Is the Daily Beast considered to be more reliable than the National Enquirer?

shnipvanwinkel
30-01-18, 19:01
Is the Daily Beast considered to be more reliable than the National Enquirer?

I am certainly not a regular reader of either. It is however the first link that pops up when you Google "ironed white laces"

Simon Thomas
30-01-18, 20:01
Blue and orange boots - Nicolai Poliakoff ?

shnipvanwinkel
30-01-18, 21:01

I think we might have found your weakness, Simon.

Simon Thomas
31-01-18, 08:01
I think we might have found your weakness, Simon.

Many have been trying since December 2003 !

Lee Lifeson-Peart
31-01-18, 10:01

I should coco(a)

WombleRef
31-01-18, 12:01
Blue and Orange???

Just to add to the misery of Mr Thomas... http://www.prodirectrugby.com//products/X-Blades-Legend-Flash-Cyber-FG-Mens-Boots-Firm-Ground-Blue-Orange-122060.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAiA78XTBRBiEiwAGv7EKsPkcMLd g8rY7_Eff4796Dpo7_pM3AhnFCADPWv6DpKQ7Af_4Tng6BoCdk kQAvD_BwE

It's more fluorescent blue and orange :p (seriously though - it's 22 pounds and they're fantastic boots. Buy some!)

I'd rather have kit I'm comfortable in and can perform in than kit that fits the traditional styles ;)

WombleRef
31-01-18, 12:01

That sums up my approach to refereeing quite nicely...

To be fair they were brought in a quick need when playing in my last varsity match last April and my old Black Canterbury's were dead. Subsequently found that I liked them and they facilitated faster running and thus they have become my refereeing boots.