PDA

View Full Version : Ref watch..

writetodave
10-06-19, 23:06
Hi all, thinking ahead to the new season and am treating myself to a new watch. Any recommendations ?
Anyone using the Spintso Pro?
Thanks

Lee Lifeson-Peart
11-06-19, 11:06
I've got a Spintso. It's ok - bit bulky - but does a job. Eats batteries but I signed up for lifetime replacement from Timpson's so I've more than recouped my money on that score. :wink:

It's a bugger to get into without a set of watch screwdrivers

I'd guess in the time I've had mine that Garmin type stuff might've overtaken "normal" watches but not sure.

I'd shop around and/or seek some more advice.

crossref
11-06-19, 11:06
I like the Timex Ironman range.
Much cheaper

The one thing I would like a spitso for is the vibrate when paused feature

beckett50
13-06-19, 22:06
I've still got the basic Casio referee watch that was available 5-years ago - and still on the original batteries :o)

crossref
14-06-19, 00:06
I've still got the basic Casio referee watch that was available 5-years ago - and still on the original batteries :o)

Have you never got it wet?
I reffed one game in a storm , and two days later the watch died ..

Decorily
14-06-19, 00:06
I like the Timex Ironman range.
Much cheaper

The one thing I would like a spitso for is the vibrate when paused feature

I use 2 x Timex Ironman range...1 on each wrist.

Edit....changed the battery after 8 years just in case!!

Flish
14-06-19, 09:06
Timex Ironman counting down for time remaining (vibrating alarm would be nice if anyone can recommend anything that would tick these two boxes), and Apple Watch on other which does elapsed time / score and also activity tracking - have a multi timer app for yellow cards etc but it's very unreliable as I never hear the alarm (don't think it vibrates) so I don't use it much.

Phil E
14-06-19, 10:06
Spintso and Apple watch here.

Flish
The Spintso watches have always intrigued me but never had a chance to play, do they have the ability to set, see remaining, and have an alarm for yellow cards (at least 1) in parallel to doing the normal stuff, or is it still a case of scribbling the time on your scorecard and doing mental maths - that's the last bit of automation I've not got perfected yet.

Phil E
The Spintso watches have always intrigued me but never had a chance to play, do they have the ability to set, see remaining, and have an alarm for yellow cards (at least 1) in parallel to doing the normal stuff, or is it still a case of scribbling the time on your scorecard and doing mental maths - that's the last bit of automation I've not got perfected yet.

I have tried various watches to time yellow cards and none of them have worked successfully. Especially when you get more than one overlapping. Now I just write down the Time back on, on my scorecard (as opposed to the time he went off). There's always a friendly coach there to remind you when times up :biggrin:

Flish
14-06-19, 11:06
I have tried various watches to time yellow cards and none of them have worked successfully. Especially when you get more than one overlapping. Now I just write down the Time back on, on my scorecard (as opposed to the time he went off). There's always a friendly coach there to remind you when times up :biggrin:

True, just striving to be accurate, by the time you have multiple cards and / out lot's of stoppages whilst the card is in play it gets touch to be accurate, but I guess only our version of the truth counts!

crossref
14-06-19, 12:06
For a YC you have to get your card and pencil out, to note down the number . It's not extra work to also write down the time they are allowed back on. (handier than the time they went off). I think setting a separate alarm would be undue delay

Flish
14-06-19, 13:06
For a YC you have to get your card and pencil out, to note down the number . It's not extra work to also write down the time they are allowed back on. (handier than the time they went off). I think setting a separate alarm would be undue delay

No, you do that anyway, I'm more thinking about the 'how long on the card sir?' calls, if you can have a quick glance at your watch / press a button you can give a quick accurate answer, else you potentially need to look at you score card and do some mental maths, not always appropriate thing to do. If I can answer a question quickly and easily then I want to.

Decorily
14-06-19, 13:06
There's always a friendly coach there to remind you when times up :biggrin:

And they generally vibrate too!!

thepercy
14-06-19, 17:06
There's always a friendly coach there to remind you when times up :biggrin:

In my experience that friendly coach starts asking about the card about 4 minutes after the player goes to the bin.

tewdric
14-06-19, 19:06
I picked up a used spintso for 50 quid on ebay. New battery and its good as new. It's so nice to use if it breaks I will pay full price for a new one!

Pinky
14-06-19, 19:06

And you need to know time off and score at the time (at least you do in Scotland) so I get the name too and put it all on a page in my notebook that I record the score in.

i have a Lorus watch which has a timer set for 40 mins and stop watch which I stop if required and it also has hands and I note the start time of each half in case I forget to restart the stopwatch.

chbg
15-06-19, 00:06
I have tried various watches to time yellow cards and none of them have worked successfully. Especially when you get more than one overlapping. Now I just write down the Time back on, on my scorecard (as opposed to the time he went off). There's always a friendly coach there to remind you when they think that times up :biggrin:

sorry ...

chbg
15-06-19, 00:06
Hi all, thinking ahead to the new season and am treating myself to a new watch. Any recommendations ?
Anyone using the Spintso Pro?
Thanks

We could arrange a loan before the start of the season if you wished to give it a try. It took some getting used to.

Flish
15-06-19, 16:06
A tempted to resurrect my idea for a decent Apple Watch app for refs, if I find some of that mythical ‘spare time’ - what features would you want from your perfect ref watch?

crossref
15-06-19, 17:06
A tempted to resurrect my idea for a decent Apple Watch app for refs, if I find some of that mythical ‘spare time’ - what features would you want from your perfect ref watch?

-- Vibrate while paused
-- are you sure? check if you try and stop the timer before you get to zero (as it's likely a mistake)
-- ten minute alarm button (for YC) i.e. press it once and you get a bleep ten minutes later (playing time)
-- watch keeps going after getting to zero (starts counting up now)
-- LARGE font option
-- waterproof (and buttons, taps whatever all work in the rain)

beckett50
15-06-19, 19:06
Have you never got it wet?

Yes mate. Even went swimming with it - by accident mind :)

Zebra1922
15-06-19, 21:06
Basic Timex on one wrist (40 minute timer that I stop/start sat time-off), Garmin of some sort on the other wrist, stopwatch which I leave running (and cause as a guesstimate of time if I press the wrong button on my timex and reset instead of pause!) and for some activity tracking. I like to know how far I've run in a game.

Tempted by an Apple Watch as people say you can use it to keep score, must look into that as Scottish weather makes writing very hard some days.

writetodave
Thanks for the offer...I just heard that another local ref just bought one so Iíll tap him up for a borrow for a game or two 👌🏻

crossref
Basic Timex on one wrist (40 minute timer that I stop/start sat time-off), Garmin of some sort on the other wrist, stopwatch which I leave running (and cause as a guesstimate of time if I press the wrong button on my timex and reset instead of pause!) and for some activity tracking. I like to know how far I've run in a game.

Tempted by an Apple Watch as people say you can use it to keep score, must look into that as Scottish weather makes writing very hard some days.

I have exactly the same .
Timex on 40 min count down
Garmin GPS , on other wrist for tracking and clock
Spare Timex in bag in case battery dies (which haopened twice to me, last time at a Cup Final !)

At kick off I note down the time in case of cocj ups

tim White
16-06-19, 17:06
at kick off i note down the time in case of cocj ups

I strongly recommend this to anyone who has not yet had it happen to them.:wtf:

Phil E
17-06-19, 10:06

Touch screen on the Apple watch doesn't like the rain either, if there's water on the screen or your fingers it can give erroneous actions.

Drift
18-06-19, 05:06
I've got a Garmin Fenix 3HR and it's brilliant, does everything I need it to do and more, plus you can set it to countdown if you want but it will vibrate when time is up for you.

Pablo
18-06-19, 10:06
I've got a pair of reliable £10 Casios, one for each wrist (stopping clock on left, running clock on right). They have each had one battery change in 16 years, and are pretty much indestructible. Call me a dinosaur if you want, but I don't see the need for anything fancier!

taff426
21-07-19, 00:07
I use a Garmin Vivoactive HR for the running clock/GPS etc.

I also use a watch designed for referees of the ‘other game’... from https://www.refscorer.com/product/refscorer-digital-watch/

Instead if county no the score, I use it to count penalties I award. Found it a really useful watch for PK count, also as stop start on a countdown (multiple countdown setting so also useful for age grade games or extra time.......)

crossref
21-07-19, 07:07
That is a very interesting looking watch ... I think I might get one

mcroker
21-07-19, 18:07
A tempted to resurrect my idea for a decent Apple Watch app foor refs, if I find some of that mythical Ďspare timeí - what features would you want from your perfect ref watch?

Feel free to use this for anything itís worth (or to join me in ironing the bugs and the bits that clearly show I was learning swift at the time)
https://github.com/mcroker/refwatch

I was pleased with the UI - but there are a couple of bugs. In particular I donít think context is handled properly in particular when you return to the main screen after sanctioning a player

mcroker
Touch screen on the Apple watch doesn't like the rain either, if there's water on the screen or your fingers it can give erroneous actions.

This is basically why I switched back to a simple sports watch... Apple Watch is very hard to use once you are soggy

mcroker
I use a Fox 40 plus a cheap Cassio - nothing special but has a big display and complements my skin colour ;)

crossref
21-07-19, 20:07
i really like the idea of the refscorer, to keep track of PK awarded.. that's a great feature

Decorily
21-07-19, 21:07
I use a Fox 40

Really...ACME thunderer is the preferred option here.

mcroker
21-07-19, 23:07
The whistle was immediately donated to my wifeís primary school. Can we focus on my iPhone app for which I open sourced the code above instead ?

Phil E
22-07-19, 09:07
That is a very interesting looking watch ... I think I might get one

I like this little gadget for a Fiver. Could be used for score or penalty count...something a lot of people have been asking for.

https://www.refscorer.com/product/refscorer/

crossref
22-07-19, 10:07
I like this little gadget for a Fiver. Could be used for score or penalty count...something a lot of people have been asking for.

https://www.refscorer.com/product/refscorer/

that is a good idea.
how do you use it - do you keep it in your pocket, or hold it in your hand?

Phil E
that is a good idea.
how do you use it - do you keep it in your pocket, or hold it in your hand?

It's on a lanyard so either I guess, but they also sell (soon) a ref wallet with cards that has a clip on the back to hold this gadget.
https://www.refscorer.com/product/refs-game/

Phil E
It's on a lanyard so either I guess, but they also sell (soon) a ref wallet with cards that has a clip on the back to hold this gadget.

I know as a coach that one the big things high flying referees moving up the levels have a problem with is keeping track of the penalty count trend. It's easy if there a re three quick penalties in succession, but the overall trend is something a lot of refs have a problem with when they get to a certain level. Not sure if this is the answer but its worth a try for five quid.

crossref
I agree .
I feel like I know that I have PK red a lot more often than blue, but I would love to be able to swap that for numbers .. Red 8 PK blue 3

Phil E
22-07-19, 11:07
I agree .
I feel like I know that I have PK red a lot more often than blue, but I would love to be able to swap that for numbers .. Red 8 PK blue 3

Are you classing yourself as high flying referee :wink: :biggrin:

crossref
22-07-19, 11:07
Are you classing yourself as high flying referee :wink: :biggrin:

He he :)

No, but I can't keep track in my head, so I have that in common with one :)

chbg
22-07-19, 19:07

That's a better version than the golf shot scorer:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E5LE0HE/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

mcroker
22-07-19, 23:07
This thread gave me the push I needed to get my apple-watch app back up to speed.

It's still very much beta status - but I am quite proud of the interface which tracks: game-time, elapsed-time, score, sin-bins (player & time), PK count (recent, this-half, total), cautions and red-cards.

It's not yet on the app-store, but I will figure out how to do that at some point. In the meanwhile the code is still here
https://github.com/mcroker/refwatch

Marc Wakeham
23-07-19, 00:07
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aro.tryrugby&gl=GB

Phil E
26-07-19, 14:07

Well I bought one of these for a fiver, arrived in a couple of days. It's really good apart from one small issue...it only counts up to 9 :chin:

So I will have to find a football ref who I can give it to :sad:

crossref
26-07-19, 17:07
He he !
Or give fewer PK ?

Actually it will be ok , just go round the clock to 0 again, you would know in your head that 2 actually means 12 .. you would know you had given 12 PK not 2

beckett50
29-07-19, 14:07
If you want to count PK in realtime and not worry about resetting/recalibrating then refscore do a watch

https://www.refscorer.com/product/refscorer-digital-watch/

I borrowed this from a colleague for one match last year and found it a real help - normally I rely on marking the score card for each PK. The only disadvantage of the watch method is that it doesn't allow you to record number and offence - thereby getting trends.
The real positive was that even if I gave advantage I could record this as a PK - if the non-offending team took and played out the advantage

Flish
27-01-20, 10:01
If you want to count PK in realtime and not worry about resetting/recalibrating then refscore do a watch

https://www.refscorer.com/product/refscorer-digital-watch/

I borrowed this from a colleague for one match last year and found it a real help - normally I rely on marking the score card for each PK. The only disadvantage of the watch method is that it doesn't allow you to record number and offence - thereby getting trends.
The real positive was that even if I gave advantage I could record this as a PK - if the non-offending team took and played out the advantage

Anyone else used this as a general watch for timing, and more specifically for penalty counts (does it go to more than 10). I've been using an app on my Apple watch with some success, but it's too many button pushes to record (switch app, press etc), and I have to look at it which is a distraction. Imagining replacing my Timex old timer with this and almost blindly being able to record penalties as I can feel the buttons - any flaws in this plan?

Phil E
27-01-20, 12:01
Anyone else used this as a general watch for timing, and more specifically for penalty counts (does it go to more than 10). I've been using an app on my Apple watch with some success, but it's too many button pushes to record (switch app, press etc), and I have to look at it which is a distraction. Imagining replacing my Timex old timer with this and almost blindly being able to record penalties as I can feel the buttons - any flaws in this plan?

Yes I have one and its a great watch.
Count up or down.
And I keep the score on it (as a check against my card, plus I can tell the score at a glance without having to add it up) but you could equally keep a penalty count on it instead (it goes past 10), which I might have to do if the new law trial comes in about counting them.

Good value for money as well.

It would be perfect for what you want.

Flish
27-01-20, 12:01
Yes I have one and its a great watch.
Count up or down.
And I keep the score on it (as a check against my card, plus I can tell the score at a glance without having to add it up) but you could equally keep a penalty count on it instead (it goes past 10), which I might have to do if the new law trial comes in about counting them.

Good value for money as well.

It would be perfect for what you want.

Perfect, I'll take a punt, happy keeping score on paper + apple watch (same app gives me time elapsed as a fallback), had to have a really accurate penalty count yesterday (Girls cup, if a draw at full time it was tries scored (always the same as they can't kick!), and then least tries conceded) which added a lot or pressure to the accuracy of that count.

beckett50
27-01-20, 21:01
Agree with PhilE. It counts up to loads!!

However, be aware that you can only add to the PK (score) when the timer is running. If do the "watch off" and press the relevant button then the penalty is not counted.

At Half-Time when you reset the timer, make sure to only press the 'Reset' button for no more than 3 Seconds otherwise your penalty count will also get reset.

I love the ref scorer because you can - if you so desire - press the button on the run if you also want to include Penalty Advantages.

Marc Wakeham
28-01-20, 13:01
Well I bought one of these for a fiver, arrived in a couple of days. It's really good apart from one small issue...it only counts up to 9 :chin:

So I will have to find a football ref who I can give it to :sad:

I am trying it out. I reset it to 0 at half time. Although I guess if you go past 9 you will remember to add the "ten".

Phil E
28-01-20, 16:01
I am trying it out. I reset it to 0 at half time. Although I guess if you go past 9 you will remember to add the "ten".

Let us know how you get on please.
Counter in one hand, whistle in the other?

Marc Wakeham
29-01-20, 23:01
I use ref mitts http://www.whistleitsportsgloves.com/ The whistle is attached to the left hand glove and the counter to the right. I've used it for 5 games so far. I include "advantage" calls so I'm always higher than the advisors count.

When you run fully grasp the Whistle / counter when you need to write you let the appropriate hand "drop" the whistle so you can write. Tried it first is some slow (expectedly) games. Used it today in a fast BUCS game with no issues.

The gloves also help if you have circulation problems.

Marc Wakeham
01-02-20, 16:02
Counter worked well again today. hardly notice it until I use it.

Flish
01-02-20, 18:02
The refscorer watch was a positive for me today, apart from not being able to record a couple with time off, but that was easily managed. Confident that my penalty count was much more accurate, especially in the second half when players get a bit excited and give you a lot more distractions.