PDA

View Full Version : Refereeing of the breakdown (S14)

chief
16-02-10, 14:02
Thought what a tremendous weekend it was for rugby refereeing (aside from Keith Brown)

To start off with

Stu Dickinson- accused from some media outlets for "auditioning for an orcheatsra" within the last year I have become fond of him. He showed in the Blues Hurricanes game that he is still world class despite being dressed down by POB. What a game he allowed to happened, with world class refereeing of the breakdown. Should have popped a yellow out earlier though.

Jonathan Kaplan- I saw one half, and I was very impressed, another free flowing game, refereeing the breakdown immaculately, what a match that was.

Steve Walsh- Had another good match. Got to ask where his cards were kept during that match, I mean because he should have reached for one much earlier.

Craig Joubert- another good performance, have to ask why he didn't show a card for the Penalty Try offense. And why he allowed far too many scrum infringements. It's a shame about Joubert, he needs to yellow card people a lot more, like in the Bledisloe last year where he dubiously penalised Al Baxter 4 times. Not once threatening the yellow card. Shows he was unsure, hopefully more better things come off Joubert.

Lyndon Bray- I don't usually praise this guy, but well done. Thank you for having this enforced, and recognizing the problem that rugby is facing. Thank you.

Robert Burns
I thought Walsh had an excellent game, hope it continues.

Davet
What are the criteria you use for refereeing the beakdown, what are you hoping to see?

Why do you think the YCs were overdue?

What did Brown do wrong?

chief
What are the criteria you use for refereeing the beakdown, what are you hoping to see?

Why do you think the YCs were overdue?

What did Brown do wrong?

Apologies didn't feel like explaining, would have thought you all share my brilliant mind!! :P

As for what I want to see, it's free flowing ball with a contest. What everyone wants to see. So the directive issued to have players release the tackled player. I want to see that enforced.

YC's were overdue because of the huge penalty count, 25 penalties (@North Harbour) and 21 penalties (Suncorp) surely they should have resulted in heavier uses/ earlier uses of cards.

Brown was inconsistent, I liked his early use of the pocket and his you must comply attitude, however some of his decisions were utter ridiculous. Could be very pedantic at times.

Ian_Cook
16-02-10, 20:02
I though Keith Brown had a pretty good game, and that the Sharks were just complaining rather than co-operating.

When I saw him award the PK that won the game for the Chiefs, I thought at first that he had committed a complete gaffe... until I saw the replay. The Sharks player who picked up the ball after his team-mate knocked on WAS offside. I saw after the first replay, the commentators didn't pick it up until a couple, but Brown saw it at full speed at ground level. Ups for him.

OB..
16-02-10, 22:02
Video clip and comments herehttp://www.sareferees.co.za/laws/laws_explained/clips/2230900.htm on SA refs site

Rit Hinners
16-02-10, 23:02
Watching that replay, I didn't see a knockon. I couldn't see the number of the one player that knocked it back, it might have been 7 or 1.

The only person that I saw that might have knocked the ball foward was one of the White players who was one of several with their hands in.

Untill the kick, which happend as the whistle blew, the ball moved in only one direction and that was foward to White and back to Black.

So, where was this knockon that Black was offside at?

Personally, I feel that the change that made picking up a knockon when you were in front of it a penalty a BAD change. It penalizes innocents that turn around, see a ball on the ground and do what is natural, gather it.

OB..
Personally, I feel that the change that made picking up a knockon when you were in front of it a penalty a BAD change. It penalizes innocents that turn around, see a ball on the ground and do what is natural, gather it.

What change?

22. Every player is on side but is put off side if he enters a scrummage from his opponents' side or being in a scrummage gets in front of the Ball, or when the ball has been kicked, touched or is being run with by any of his own side behind him (i e between himself and his own goal line).

23. Every player when offside is out of the game and shall not touch the ball in any case whatever, either in or out of touch or goal, or in any way interrupt or obstruct any player, until he is again on side.
From the Laws of 1871.

Davet
23 - I like this.

If current it would end the issue about ball in touch putting offside players on-side.

Drift
17-02-10, 00:02
Of the games I saw Walsh was the stand out for me.

Robert Burns
17-02-10, 00:02
Going to move this too polls forum.

Bryan
17-02-10, 04:02
I've only seen the WF v Brumbies game so far (with Walsh in the middle) but already have a few remarks:

Whose idea was it to get the entire Team-of-FOUR on the TV Mics? Not only do I now have to hear calls from the ARs, I get to hear who is getting subbed & replaced. What could this possibly provide to viewers at home??? What do I care if a blood sub comes back on??? All this means is that when a substitution takes too long, you can hear Walsh yelling at them to get them on quicker. Great, another sign of match official incompetence.

Walsh's style is still his own. His no nonsense sarcasm is still there and he still has the balls to use it. Not many will stick their head that high above the clouds, but he gets results.

Rit Hinners
17-02-10, 12:02
What change?

I had never seen anyone penalised for playing a knock on untill recent years. You just had a scrum.

So, whatever change did that.

How can you tell that the person playing the ball is not "accidentally" off sides because he didn't SEE the knockon occour? I've often seen people backing off from a breakdown that turn around and see the ball laying at their feet with no way of knowing it was knocked on penalised for this.

It is "unjust" that the people that lost the contest for the ball should recive a kick at goal for what in most cases would result in a scrum down.

At most this should be a free kick infraction.

OB..
17-02-10, 21:02
I had never seen anyone penalised for playing a knock on untill recent years. You just had a scrum.
For me it is the norm.

So, whatever change did that.
As I pointed out - no change in the laws. Maybe a change in the way they are played in the USA, though I did not notice it when I was playing there.

How can you tell that the person playing the ball is not "accidentally" off sides because he didn't SEE the knockon occour?
It is his job to be aware. Frequently the referee will have called advantage to the opposition.

Note that a player is usually penalised for offside only if he prevented an opponent from getting the ball.

chief
22-02-10, 11:02
Steve Walsh wins Round 1.