Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To play, or to ref...

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer

Default Re: To play, or to ref...

doofy - stay playing for as long as you can, unless injury forces you to stop. The more you understand rugby, the players, the coaches etc the more empathetic you will be as a referee - which is crucial to get beyond being a competent average Society Referee at level 9 or so.

Even after 30 + years of my playing career (which included county schools, a top university and Harlequins) when I started reffing I was still learning (and still am).

Certainly through school / college / university and at your club keep playing , as it will add to your "social education" as well as give you better understanding of the game of rugby itself at each of these levels. But also qualify as a referee, do matches as a club referee and for uni days, where refereees are like gold dust it will help you. If you join a Society even better still as you will be coached, mentored, and developed at the right pace.

Also you never know when your academic, work or family commitments may stop you playing, or even refereeing.

My Society initiated a Young Officials scheme a decade ago, which the RFU has since adopted nationally. Where in the country are you ?

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 8

Thanks everyone for the advice, seems like i should keep playing and help out refereeing whenever i can im in hertfodshire at the moment ..

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Club
    Grade
    interested bystander

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Thomas View Post
    doofy - stay playing for as long as you can, unless injury forces you to stop. The more you understand rugby, the players, the coaches etc the more empathetic you will be as a referee - which is crucial to get beyond being a competent average Society Referee at level 9 or so.
    and yet playing until the age of 40+ before taking up the whistle will (as near as makes no odds) entirely scupper the chances of making it to the top.

tough balancing act, and i think Dixie got it spot on (especially the bit where he agreed with me).
    Hi. I'm Barry Scott.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade

Carry on playing for a bit longer doofy, and as others have suggested ref on sundays if you can, there are some pretty good U19 and U17 games out there that need quality refs
    If you are ever in Cumbria on a Sunday we are desperate for anyone who can do a game
    Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    If you are ever in Cumbria on a Sunday we are desperate for anyone who can do a game
    Obviously
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade

Set us up for that one didn't I!!
    But I do mean it, there are simply not enough refs most weekends to cover games Especially when the leagues in their wisdom put all 7 level seven teams at home every other week and we have about 7 refs at that level
    Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leicestershire
    Grade
    Level 8

Hi,

If I were you, I would play for a little longer and maybe get a few odd games in refereeing when you can. I'm 20 and I'm starting this season due to a broken leg last year.

I really miss playing and would say at least stick at so you get the opportunity to play at seniors. That way you wil have the refereeing to fall back on when your ready.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    Level 6

Smile Re: To play, or to ref...

As LLP said I started when I was young and have done alright so far.

I did the National Foundation Course (old ELRA) in the summer before sixth form, then refereed a few school U12 B/C games on a Saturday morning as a warm up to my game in the afternoon. After Christmas (when I had turned 17) I did a couple of society appointments on a Saturday, vets and 3rd XV games. I did that for the two years of sixth form, while still playing. I felt that was a good way to do both the refereeing and the playing as I didn't want to stop playing, but was enjoying the refereeing too.

I then took a gap year and coached and referee in Australia for a season (no playing) while working in a school. When I got back to the UK for uni I carried on playing and refereeing for my first two years. I could do that as the uni games were mid-week and society appointments on Saturday. I kept progressing up the levels and at the start of my 3rd year was at Lv 6 and ready to push for group level. It was at that stage that I decided to stop playing as I was already refereeing at a level above which I was playing and thought I should see how far I could go.

My advice would be to give it a taste and see how you like it. I originally did the referees course to become a better player. I figured better knowledge of the law and knowing what the referee was looking for would help me as a player, and it did. Then the more I refereed, the more I enjoyed the challenge that each game brings. I do miss the camaraderie of playing (which is why I coached a college side at uni), but I also love the fact that I can say I referee at National League level.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Minnesota/USA Rugby League
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Blog Entries

Like Adam, I started at a young age. I took the iRB level 1 course at 16 and did my first game at 17 due to winter. I've been playing since I was 14, and really enjoyed it and my senior year (18) I got a neck injury while playing. I was able to ref full time due to the US system. For me the choice was playing at University or reffing. I wasn't to good of a player, but enjoyed reffing so I ended up reffing full time. I still get that urge to play every once and a while, but I won't due it again because for me the risk of injury isn't worth not reffing anymore.
    If you have any questions about being a younger ref feel free to contact me, the US and UK systems seem so different, but I'll provide any help that I can.

Cody

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

A lot of players I know like to Ref as well...................at the same time

Most of them have #9 on their backs

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Thread Information