Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Penalty faux pas

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cornwall Rugby Referees
    Grade
    Level 9

Default Penalty faux pas

At a recent level 8 league game red were awarded a penalty kick in their own 22. Red 10 went to kick the ball from hand into touch, released the ball then missed it completely doing an 'air shot'. The referee gave a scrum at the mark to green. After much chuckling at the kicking ability of red 10, red coach disagreed with the decision stating "as the ball hadn't been kicked, it was not live thus it should have been re-taken".

What's the correct decision? Monthly society meeting was split on the outcome.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

I think
    - its a correct decision
    - but in some games, in some circumstances, may be more empathatic to let him have another bite at cherry .

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire RURS (UK)
    Grade
    Society Assessor

Default Re: Penalty faux pas

I would probably agree with the coach - ball becomes live again when moved by the boot, or if scrum option taken when it is put into the scrum.

If the 10 for example did that bounce the ball and carch again thing before taking the kick would we give a knock on? Or same action by 9 before putting to scrum? I would seriously doubt it.

But I haven't ever had to worry about it before so that's just an instinctive reaction.
    “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"
    George Loveless 1834
    Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived.
    Thomas Paine 1776
    FREE All of PUSSY RIOT - JAIL PUTIN

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Wherever I may be living at the time!
    Grade
    Runs like mini T-rex

Correct decision, if the coach wants to be pedantic you could say that he played the ball through the mark incorrectly.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney West Rugby Referees Association
    Grade
    Level 1

If the red 10 picked the ball up and attempted to kick it again, then that is OK, as no kick has been taken.

If the red 10 picked the ball up and attempted to play on, then award a scrum.

If everyone is standing around not knowing what to do, blow the whistle, and give the red 10 another shot.

The only time I would award a scrum for an air swing would be at a FK, and only really if there was an opposition player attempting a charge down.

All in all, I side with the coach on this one.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

If a kick-off or drop out is taken incorrectly,the opposition has a choice of scrum or re-take kick.

Law 21.3 (a) specifies how a penalty should be taken but there is no sanction specifically attached to that sub-paragraph. Oddly, (b) and (c) both have the same sanction. My belief is that it ought to apply to (a) as well: scrum to opposition.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by ruareftrev91 View Post
    At a recent level 8 league game red were awarded a penalty kick in their own 22. Red 10 went to kick the ball from hand into touch, released the ball then missed it completely doing an 'air shot'. The referee gave a scrum at the mark to green. After much chuckling at the kicking ability of red 10, red coach disagreed with the decision stating "as the ball hadn't been kicked, it was not live thus it should have been re-taken". What's the correct decision? Monthly society meeting was split on the outcome.
    I would agree with the coach. The ball was dead, and hasn't been back into play yet. As it was a PK the oppos couldn't charge anyway, so I would have just asked him to take it again.

Imagine if he was lining up the kick and the ball slipped out of his hand, would you give a knock on? I doubt it as the ball was still dead. I would treat this the same.

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    If a kick-off or drop out is taken incorrectly,the opposition has a choice of scrum or re-take kick.
    I can see the logic, but until the ball's been kicked, I would suggest the kick-off hasn't even been taken yet.
    Last edited by Taff; 17-11-11 at 23:11.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Wherever I may be living at the time!
    Grade
    Runs like mini T-rex

So, the player can now have a few warm up kicks in before he kicks it (like at golf)?

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Imagine if he was lining up the kick and the ball slipped out of his hand, would you give a knock on? I doubt it as the ball was still dead. I would treat this the same.
    Drops the ball = no attempt to kick. Start again. Air shot = failed attempt. Scrum. IMHO.

Not properly covered in the Laws (and I am not surprised!).

Law 20.4 (d) "any other irregularity" ?
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

we have all see the SH place the ball on the mark then "pretend" to take the quick tap. Is this any different? Maybe intent is the key.

Thread Information