Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Penalty faux pas

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade

Default Re: Penalty faux pas

Menace, but if the ball falls over at a penalty, the kicker is allowed to stop his approach and put it back on the tee. Contrast a conversion. So I am quite happy with the concept of different restart points for different sanctions and I think I would generally allow a kick to be taken for a penalty were the kicker silly enough to manage to miss the ball. But for FK it is clearly game on as soon as he starts his approach.

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    That reminds me of a scene from a long-forgotten TV series: ... Man : "So? I've got shoes on my feet but I'm not walking" Name that series!
    Possibly "The Journalist".

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    Menace, but if the ball falls over at a penalty, the kicker is allowed to stop his approach and put it back on the tee. Contrast a conversion. So I am quite happy with the concept of different restart points for different sanctions and I think I would generally allow a kick to be taken for a penalty were the kicker silly enough to manage to miss the ball. But for FK it is clearly game on as soon as he starts his approach.
    With all due respect - so?
    If it does so prior to him starting to advance - no prob. If he starts to advance and it falls then he can still reset it. Either way has the minute to complete the kick. You don't time off so it is still 'play'. It's just opposition have an exception in law to their restriction.

If adult player airswing a set pk kick - he probably deserves the scrum over then he best find a new game or someone in the team that can kick.

I've already conceded I'm not sure what I'd give but I'm sure I'll assess the skill level first and apply empathy in line with the game. I'm sure whatever I'll give it will be with confidence and a sound reason if questioned.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Thread Information