Thread: Australia v NZ

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Ref'd social games only

Default Australia v NZ

Did AR forget about materiality?

He may have been accurate in his decision making but I was left wondering why he kept blowing the pee out of the whistle when there was no impact on the game

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2

Default Re: Australia v NZ

For the benefit of those of us in work, what happened?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Ref'd social games only

NZ win by 8
    27 penalties blown

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

He did blow a merry tune didn't he. Somewhere in there, a game of rugby was trying to break out, but Rolland kept it under lock and key!!!

A classic example was in the 66th minute. The All Black scrum absolutely mullered the Wallaby scrum, blew them right off their own ball, An All Black player picks up the ball and advances with supporting players while the Wallaby defence is out of position, 5m back and back pedalling furiously.... and what does AR do? He blows his effing whistle for a scrum infringement by the Aussies ... PK to NZ.

AAArrrgh!!!! What about materiality? What about advantage?
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 18-08-12 at 13:08.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Referees in Canada

Soc/Assoc
    Michigan, Ontario
    Grade
    B2

^^^^ did the proper man pick up the ball, etc?

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by ddjamo View Post
    ^^^^ did the proper man pick up the ball, etc?
    The ball was out of the scrum by that time, so any onside player could pick it up. I think it was the SH anyway.
    - Jay Windley

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Bay of Plenty
    Grade
    Secondary School

I felt that Rolland never got the feel of the game last night. There were a whole string of penalties that were both marginal and immaterial that he kept bring the polayers back to. The worst of these were the 2 penalties at the lineout where players allegedly left the lineout early, but they had no effect whatsoever on the play.

Another penalty that I thought showed Rolland was off the play was about 20 mins into the first half where the All Blacks committed massively to a Ruck and blew the Wallaby players off the ball, and then about half a metre past the ball the ruck collapsed under its own weight due to a lack of resistance, and Rolland penalized NZ for going off their feet. It was a very poor decision because the All Blacks had in fact done well to stay on their feet and had won the ruck. I think this decision affected NZ because it meant they never committed to rucks again, which these days is our chief turnover strategy.

I felt exactly the same about the scrum penalty, and its something they need to look at. There is simply too many penalties at scrum time, often for situations where the other team simply loses the scrum.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

IMO, the key to last night's win was keeping two of the Aussie stars quiet... Pocock and Genia.

Pocock in particular was rendered totally ineffective; he didn't get a single turnover all night!

Robbie Deans has been talking him up as the best No. 7 in the world, but he is missing a really important part of the No. 7 game and he must learn it if he wants to carry the mantle of greatness. Its the part that Richie McCaw is the master at.....knowing when he has reached the limit of the referee's patience! His inability to recognise the boundaries and when he had crossed them, meant that he became a liability rather than an asset, a frustrated player who gave up penalties when things didn't go his way.

I have no doubt that Pocock will become Australia's greatest No. 7 one day, but that is some time off. At the moment, the All Blacks appear to have his measure!
    - Jay Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    WARURA
    Grade
    Level 1

There were a few things (such as immaterial offences mentioned above) to criticize AR for. But looking at the big scheme of things, there aren't many refs who would walk off that field with such a trivial list of criticisms. Decent start to the tournament. From here he can probably have a similar level of compliance with less whistle blowing.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR

Quote Originally Posted by TNT88 View Post
    There were a few things (such as immaterial offences mentioned above) to criticize AR for. But looking at the big scheme of things, there aren't many refs who would walk off that field with such a trivial list of criticisms. Decent start to the tournament. From here he can probably have a similar level of compliance with less whistle blowing.
    I know there were a few stoppages from a few extra penalties but I barrack for the losing team and I don't have any real sour grapes issues with Rolland's handling of the game and the losing team is from where the greatest criticisms usually come.
    I thought he did a good job with some of the AB's around the rucks which is why I was happy to see Rolland in charge and not CJ.

Thought the Assistant Referees missed a couple of things at scrum time. In particular the AB #6 riding forward onto the Wallaby LHP. This happened about 6m from the AR. Not sure if it was Sir Nigel or not.

The PKs against Pocock were fair enough.

Wallabies caught the ball like kindergarten age kids, passed to stationary receivers both laterally and positioned further and further behind the gain line and then dropped the ball.

Two defensive centres with no attacking ball handling skills and a #15 who shook his head everytime he stuffed up as if it was someone elses fault (and note to self Kurtley, when you have a gift 3 points against the AB's, TAKE THEM!!!.

A home press who continue to talk the Wallabies up in the lead up to games against the ABs to the point where the players are spruiking how they will decimate the opposition but are forgetting to do the necessary preparation.

Wallabies can improve 75% on that performance. The ABs can only improve another 10-15%. Trouble is that their 10-15% will probably still outdo our 75% lift.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Thread Information