Quade Cooper is in for the 2nd Test

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR

Default Re: Australia v NZ

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Materiality is not about what the non-offending side gets after the PK is awarded. If it were the case, then ALL offences would be material, and be pinged.

Materiality is about what effect the offence has on the game at that time.

I argue that what Genia did had zero effect on play. I cannot see how his being a 1/2m further back at the time that ball was in the air over the line-out, would have changed anything.
    So therefore Ian, if you personally were refereeing and you asked a player twice to comply and he still ignored you, you would not penalise him because you now believe there was no materiality? Your credibility would now be shot but OK if that's how you would referee the game.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Bay of Plenty
    Grade
    Secondary School

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post

I guess we shall have to wait and see, but I for one, am very happy to see him there.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London
    Grade
    Level 6+1

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Materiality is not about what the non-offending side gets after the PK is awarded. If it were the case, then ALL offences would be material, and be pinged.

Materiality is about what effect the offence has on the game at that time.

I argue that what Genia did had zero effect on play. I cannot see how his being a 1/2m further back at the time that ball was in the air over the line-out, would have changed anything.
    Trouble is once AR had mentioned it (twice) it becomes material. Should he have mentioned it - that's a different debate.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by The Fat View Post
    So therefore Ian, if you personally were refereeing and you asked a player twice to comply and he still ignored you, you would not penalise him because you now believe there was no materiality? Your credibility would now be shot but OK if that's how you would referee the game.
    Yes, I would ping him, because he failed to heed my warning.

However, I wouldn't be wasting my time warning players about marginal offsides 9½m directly behind a line-out in the first place, especially if that player's team is throwing into the line-out and therefore likely to win it. I might feel differently if he was a defensive player coming up on an opposition throw. I am looking for far more important, and potentially impactful offences than an offside player who will have little or no impact on play.

For example, both teams threw a number of crooked throws to the line-outs, and AR failed to pick up any of them. A crooked throw is far more material than an offside at the 10m line, especially where Genia was. The offside player may or may not affect play at some time in the future, but a crooked throw to the line out has a direct, measurable impact on play every time it happens; it denies one side the chance to compete, right there and right now!
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    In for Barnes who moves into centre for Faingaa.

I assume Aus will rejig their defence to suit, like Reds do, ie Ioane or similar at Fly half when not in posession with QC tucked away getting his cotton wool plumped up.

Won't make no never mind - they'll still git whupped.
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    NA
    Grade
    I am a Fan

"Whupped" is being generous.

This match will hopefully be a shellacking so people will wake up to Robbie Deans' coaching. The guy has picked a poor team again, and has himself to blame. It is honestly like he has one strategy going into games and when that falls to pieces so do the Wallabies. The sooner John O'Neil acts by getting rid of this guy the better. We can't take anymore of him and his nonsense selections. Sitaleki Timani? What a joke. Rob Horne. What a joke. Half the Waratahs team is starting yet they were a joke. Robbie Deans needs to go away and get out of our lives. When former Australian Rugby coach Alan Jones said he was not up to it, I actually agreed. And boy I don't agree with Alan on a lot of nonsense he talks on his Sydney radio show.

Wallabies to lose by about 30. Possibly more. Also I will add John O'Neil needs to piss off as well. The guy is a burden.

Thread Information