Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: front row binding with a disabled player

Soc/Assoc
    Norfolk
    Grade
    11/10

Default front row binding with a disabled player

Hi,

Been reading a few posts on binding, and this got me thinking about a game i had where the LH prop only had 1 arm. He was a bit of a vet and he said in 20 yrs no-one had batted an eyelid at it. Me being new was unsure so asked the conveniently placed assessor on the pitch next door, who had a chat with the player and then assured me he'd be fine as long as the opposing prop got a good bind on him and that he was tight to his own hooker. No prizes for guessing what happened next? The 3rd or 4th scrum collapsed and he twisted his knee and had to go off.

Now I'm thinking that either it's my fault the scrum wasn't strong enough or that he isn't as stable as he thinks he is in a scrum?

Thoughts??

Norfolk_ref

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire RURS (UK)
    Grade
    Society Assessor

Default Re: front row binding with a disabled player

assume it was his left arm.

Difficult one - the game is striving to be inclusive, and whilst a LHP who has no bind at all may not be entirely stable, as your assessor said if the opposing THP gets a good bind he should be able to hold it up - provided neither of them bugger about.

But - to be honest, if he'd collapsed and someone else had got hurt we could have had an issue.

I don't like to say this, and I am quite prepared to listen to arguement, but my instinct is that scrums should have been uncontested under those circumstances.
    “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"
    George Loveless 1834
    Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived.
    Thomas Paine 1776
    FREE All of PUSSY RIOT - JAIL PUTIN

Soc/Assoc
    Norfolk
    Grade
    11/10

Good thoughts Davet. I think if i'd have been on my own I would have still let it go. It's having the grapefruits to tell some they can't play, although my head says i should have refused.

In terms of law:
    (c) Binding by loose head props. A loose head prop must bind on the opposing tight head prop by placing the left arm inside the right arm of the tight head and gripping the tight head prop’s jersey on the back or side. The loose head prop must not grip the chest, arm, sleeve or collar of the opposition tight head prop. The loose head prop must not exert any downward pressure.
    Sanction: Penalty kick

Does this count if this law has been broken immediately due to lack of left arm?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Davet View Post
    I don't like to say this, and I am quite prepared to listen to arguement, but my instinct is that scrums should have been uncontested under those circumstances.
    I have to agree. Our mantra is: Safety Equity Law, in that order. The scrum binding laws are safety issues, and so need to be the priority consideration - even ahead of the equity of allowing a disabled player to participate. The equity can be acheived, but only in the context of uncontested scrums.

As you state - grapefruits.
    Don't feed the pedant!

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk_Ref View Post
    ... It's having the grapefruits to tell some they can't play ...
    Except you're not stopping him "playing" ... you're just stopping him scrummaging. He can do everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk_Ref View Post
    .... He was a bit of a vet and he said in 20 yrs no-one had batted an eyelid at it.
    My best guess is that he's either a bullshitter, or plenty of people have batted an eyelid but were too scared to question someone with a disability.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    My best guess is that he's either a bullshitter, or plenty of people have batted an eyelid but were too scared to question someone with a disability.
    20 years ago there was a local team that had a one-armed prop, and nobody batted an eyelid.

However the scrum laws and the scrum were much more relaxed in those days.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer

Safety is paramount - no way can you allow a one armed player to prop. He can play in back row, or on the wing or wherever, but not in the FR.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Somerset
    Grade
    National Panel

OB, was the team bristol based? Did a team many years ago with 3 one armed players! Pinged one of them at a lineout for using his outside arm! You can't begin to imagine! Think I would let him play and reasses after first scrum
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire RURS (UK)
    Grade
    Society Assessor

3 one armed players! Pinged one of them at a lineout for using his outside arm!
    That actually made me laugh...

I feel bad now.
    “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"
    George Loveless 1834
    Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived.
    Thomas Paine 1776
    FREE All of PUSSY RIOT - JAIL PUTIN

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Somerset
    Grade
    Level 6

I reffed a "junior" with only one full arm, it'll be in the junior section on here somewhere, think the overall opinion was a big what got me was that he'd been allowed to play there before
    __________________________________________________ _______

happy with this posting

Thread Information