Northallerton 1980s-2004

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer

Default Re: front row binding with a disabled player

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Most supporters only have " one eye" and we don't stop them! But seriousely, should we not do all we can to help, even talk to the opo prop and maybe do a few practice scrums before the game to see if it works! To just dismiss IMO is wrong!
    Womble I agree on a human level, but I have had too much experience with RFU Legals, Child Welfare, and now the paranoia about injuries / prevention etc, balkanced by the quite right 'inclusiveness & minorities policies" and my reading of the RFU mindset is that any injury resulting from a referee allowing a one armed player to be in the front row of contested scrums is going to result in a host of hearings, panels, litigation claims, etc. So my advice to my Committee as Society's SADO and past Chairman would be to not allow it.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Somerset
    Grade
    National Panel

Its a sad day for rugby if that's the way we are heading. I've allways felt very humbled that this great game of ours has a place for everyone no matter what.
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer

Its a sad day for rugby if that's the way we are heading. I've allways felt very humbled that this great game of ours has a place for everyone no matter what.
    Again Womble I fully agree with you, as I know some who work at the RFU do also, but the RFU has moved a long way down the road already in the last five years of making the Game more sanitised, safer (see current injury based research and the RFU re-organisation that removed Refs Dept and bundled up Player, Coach, Match Official and Medical areas into Development.

There has been some sense applied recently (no more CRBs needed by referees, based on Government changes to child welfare legislation but their was some push-back by the CW folks) but overall the RFU efforts are to increase numbers by wider appeal, safer, more exciting rugby for everyone across all ages, social groups, racial segments, genders etc.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

judging by this thread there does seem to be a massive demand from one-armed people to play rugby, especially in the front row.

I hope the RFU's objectives on inclusiveness overcome their concerns on safety -- but that might be unlikely in current world.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

Oskar Pistorius?
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Somerset
    Grade
    National Panel

There are many at lower levels that play with false legs as we'll OB !
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog!

Soc/Assoc
    Norfolk
    Grade
    11/10

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
    Norfolk, you didn't say why the scrums collapsed. Are you saying that it's because of lack of binding?

It wasn't that long ago (or was it?) that either prop could elect not to bind on the ops. I didn't see that it was a problem then and today I'd let him play. I like Wombles approach, talk to the other prop, make sure he can get a good bind and both have good body position.
    It wasn't directly down to the bind but i did feel that at the time the prop could have steadied himself and maybe could have held the scrum tighter had he a full bind. I'm getting into what-ifs. All i do know that the only player who got injured in the collapsed scrum was the one-armed prop. Not sure what that means

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire RURS (UK)
    Grade
    Society Assessor

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    Oskar Pistorius?
    Though the thought occurs:

Why should fully able bodied athletes not be able to use special running shoes that have a version of the spring loaded prosthetics he uses built in?
    “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"
    George Loveless 1834
    Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived.
    Thomas Paine 1776
    FREE All of PUSSY RIOT - JAIL PUTIN

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

or indeed - why shouldn't fully able bodied athletes be allowed to participate in wheelchair sports?
    (in wheel chairs obviosuly)

Thread Information