Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bryce Lawrence Interview

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Bryce Lawrence Interview

Bryce has announced his retirement from the game. The ITM Cup Premiership semi-final between Auckland an Wellington this weekend will be his final match.

Here is his interview with Mark Richardson and Richard Turner on RadioSport this morning, where he talks about the pressure he was under from administrators prior to the 2011 RWC quarter final.

Last edited by Ian_Cook; 16-10-12 at 02:10.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Referees in Canada
    RugbyRefs.com Webmaster

Soc/Assoc
    Ontario/Toronto
    Grade
    Every Grade
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Bryce Lawrence Interview

Fair play to him, I don't hide behind the fact that he has never been my favourtite referee, but an open and honest interview from someone who is leaving the game.

I wish him well and hope he's successful in his new role in the NZRU.
    "This is not Soccer!" ©Nigel Owens
    ------------------------------
    Robert Burns
    RugbyRefs.com Webmaster

Referees in Canada

Soc/Assoc
    Michigan, Ontario
    Grade
    B2

I hear you robbie...I actually felt bad for what I have thought/said about the guy as I listened.

repent

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

I thought it was great to hear a referee being honest about his own limitations and failings.

I thought it was worth posting here.
    - Jay Windley

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    L.S.R.F.U.R
    Grade
    10+1

Is the international rugby community kidding itself about respect ? Bryce retires because he has one poor performance and the feedback from it effectively halts his career. Surely everyone has a bad day, you learn from it and move on.

I am new to this, was Bryce given a chance to redeem himself? Seems very cruel to me.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade

Quote Originally Posted by liversedge View Post
    Is the international rugby community kidding itself about respect ? Bryce retires because he has one poor performance and the feedback from it effectively halts his career. Surely everyone has a bad day, you learn from it and move on.

I am new to this, was Bryce given a chance to redeem himself? Seems very cruel to me.
    To be fair, it wasn't one bad performance. There were many who argued from the off that he wasn't of international standard. He had several very good games, but these were interspersed with some pretty mediocre ones and a few absolute shockers. His accuracy just wasn't there.

The fault for that lies with the iRB, who felt pressured to appoint a NZ ref when there was an unusual lack of high calibre individuals from that country. Steve Walsh was going off the rails due to booze and arrogance, while others just hadn't come through as usual. that elft Bryce as the best available NZ ref (opinion of course), and the iRB felt compelled to bring him aboard when they should have just bitten the bullet and used (yet) another Saffer.
    Don't feed the pedant!

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by liversedge View Post

I imagine that he would want to referee at the top end of the game, but in the aftermath of his poor performance in the RWC quarter final, he was always going to struggle to do that. I think he wouldn't be satisfied with just being a bit part player. With all the animosity towards him coming from South Africa, it was even going to be difficult for him to be involved in Super Rugby, and then the iRB dropped him from the elite referee panel.

Bryce will be 42 this year, and given that uncertain future, and a job offer he could not refuse from the NZRU, I think he has probably made the only decision he could.

Vinnie Munro and Keith Brown are also retiring at the end of the ITM Cup.
    - Jay Windley

Referees in Canada
    RugbyRefs.com Webmaster

Soc/Assoc
    Ontario/Toronto
    Grade
    Every Grade
    Blog Entries

So I heard.

But as he rightly says, the up and coming group of refs is looking good for NZ rugby.
    "This is not Soccer!" ©Nigel Owens
    Robert Burns
    RugbyRefs.com Webmaster

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire RURS (UK)
    Grade
    Society Assessor

Bryce lawrence was a good referee, but not a good elite referee. He did seem to suffer in the highest level games from a lack of confidence and belief in his own judgement, which made him either freeze or not give a decision that was (admittedly with the benefit of replay - but he still had a better bigger clearer view in real time) a clear one to give.

He says pretty much this himself in the interview; and I found that very candid and I respect him for it.

The most significant bits of the interview, for me, were:

1) where he said that you can get into the position where you stop backing yourself unless 100% sure, which creates that moment of freeze - and the moral of that tale would be to trust your own instincts; when you begin they may be poor, but as you progress then they become sharper and you will get to the point where you can make decisions based on "instinct".

2)The hardest thing is to get right the balance between technical accuracy, and when not to blow. But the important element there is to actually know and recognise the technical fault, but then to take a decision not to blow for it in the interests of the game in front of you. Judgement, not rule of thumb.
    “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"
    George Loveless 1834
    Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived.
    Thomas Paine 1776
    FREE All of PUSSY RIOT - JAIL PUTIN

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Ospreys
    Grade
    L2

Please read this on the Rugby Site
    http://www.therugbysite.com/blog_pos...by-mark-reason

I have put my comments at the bottom.

Bryce bashing, or any referee bashing is the worst sort of cowardly attack in rugby. Yes, there are plenty of times the referee could have done better, but to attack them for it is pathetic. This forum, IMO, exists to discuss and improve standards, learn from mistakes, debate direction. That's why it is such a good forum. I wish other "forums" were more reflective.

I have no evidence to back this up, but my sense is that a number of referees continue DESPITE the verbal challenges they receive on a Saturday. However, too many stop too early for that reason.

Off high horse now, and back to writing about how to spread out some cones in a pretty pattern....

Thread Information