Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NZ v Aus New Scrum Procedure

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 7

Default NZ v Aus New Scrum Procedure

Is it me? Aus consistently putting ball in straight (but pinged once) NZ consistently squint feed (but only pinged once). It seems pretty clear from Aaron Smith's body position that he is going to put it into the second row and he is, It is a situation made more obvious by NZ hooker pushing only not hooking. Joubert seems to be letting it go. For me, not the example I want to see at elite rugby.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    UK
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Re: NZ v Aus New Scrum Procedure

You spoke too soon...!

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 7

Pleased to see Joubert calling more squint feeds as the second half went on, but generally I thought he needs to be more assertive earlier. For me he needs to ensure scrum halves get ball in quicker and discipline the early 'mini hit' that both were trying ahead of put in. One of the NZ tries seemed to come from a put in that went straight through.

Overall, as a grass roots ref I'm pleased to see that a move to improve the scrum has started, now we need to see the elite games implement the changes assertively

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    Is it me? Aus consistently putting ball in straight (but pinged once) NZ consistently squint feed (but only pinged once). It seems pretty clear from Aaron Smith's body position that he is going to put it into the second row and he is, It is a situation made more obvious by NZ hooker pushing only not hooking. Joubert seems to be letting it go. For me, not the example I want to see at elite rugby.
    Its you.

Both sides pinged three times for squint feeds, and the NZ hooker was definitely hooking on the NZ feed. He doesn't have to hook on the opposition feed.

However, to be fair to both half-backs, the scrum was often not square and stable when Joubert was calling "yes 9", so the referees need to work on that.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR

Doesn't matter. I'm pissed and we got owned. Will need to watch the replay to check the technical details.
    Welcome to coaching at international level Link. I think we will be more competitive in game 2. Waiting to hear the thoughts of all the debutantes.
    Watched the game at my local club (beers flowing freely with some stupid game called cheers and yes, they picked on the old guy) and the front rowers are a bit each way on the new scrums. TH props consistantly not able to get a long bind. All seem to be binding under the arm pit. Same with the Toulon game in French Top 14 this morning.
    Still a few collapses. Will be interesting to see the scrum stats.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade
    Assesing and advice

Following observations on scrums - timing approx mins and either A or N ball.

Posted without looking at other comments. Will add comment in due course - perhaps

9 min. A Not straight (N/S) and F/K . N elect for Scrum (S)
    N OK (both these scrums were a bit unstable)

24 min N N/S and F/K. A elect S JC tells all that N/S will be a penalty (P)
    A OK

35min N General collapse and reset (query straight?)
    reset N OK

41 min A OK but heeled so fast that SH misses it coming out of wrong channel

43 min N Reformed before they 'set' and told to 'come closer'
    N heel it but go down under pressure - P to A
    (query that it was straight)

54 min A OK but scrum collapsing as ball emerges.

55min A Reformed as for scrum at 43
    A2 miss strikes and ball emerges at side for N to gain possession.
    (was it straight out? It led to N try)

66 min A 'new props' says JC and has a chat
    N/S and P to N. (clearly crooked)

70min A N/S and P to N (clearly crooked)

74min N Reformed as for 43 and 55
    OK

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    UK
    Grade
    Select Grade

Mike not sure but I think there was a pen to Aus for a n/z not straight later in the game, have you got one the wrong way round?

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

IMO, the scrums started a bit scratchily, but there was a definite, steady improvement as the game progressed. From about mid way through the first half to midway through the second, the scrums all appeared to be mostly square and stationary, but then there were a couple of FR subs and they went backwards a bit.

All in all, I think it was a very encouraging sign of better things to come. I think the players are still getting to grips (no pun intended) with the engage procedure under actual competition conditions; very different from mere practice.

Overall, I thought Joubert had a very good game and managed the scrum well, although I agree with those who say he was a bit lenient at the beginning. I expect referees will improve their scrum management as time goes on.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade

In general the scrum looked a lot better, though still some early pushing and still some feeding

I think the AR could have advised CJ when the ball went through the tunnel without being hooked, leading immediately to the 4th All Black try. At grassroots level the players let you know, but maybe these elite players have never seen a ball go straight through the tunnel before...

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Bay of Plenty
    Grade
    Secondary School

I thought the scrums were pretty good, all in all. Joubert certainly did his best to enforce straight put-ins. You could quibble that some of the ones he let go were also marginal, but no ref is going to see everything, and just pinging the odd one will have a tangible effect on them anyway as halfbacks will be fearful of it. He did a better job than we have see from the ITM Cup refs in this regard.

Aside from the feeds I don't think there is much to complain about. There was 3 resets, and one PK. More importantly though, you could see that there was a tangible benefit to competing on the opposition ball. Australia had one scrum where they failed to get a strike on the ball, and another couple where the strike was too fast and it popped out uncontrollably.

I reckon the NZ scrum was slightly on top and they got rewarded, not with PK's but with disrupting the other teams ball and securing good ball for themselves. This has to be an improvement on some of the stuff we have seen for the past couple of years. Too early to say for definite, but I remain optimistic that this is heading in the right direction.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

Thread Information