Thread: NZ v Aus New Scrum Procedure

Referees in Holland

Soc/Assoc
    NSRS
    Grade
    Newish

Default Re: NZ v Aus New Scrum Procedure

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Scrum stability compliance needs to come first and have higher priority than whether or not the ball is fed straight, that is if the scrum is moving and the SH throws the ball in crooked, the "pushing early" offence is more material than the "crooked feed" offence.
    I absolutely agree. At the reset of the first scrum (9th/10th minute of your trans-Tasman rivalry), Gold again pushed before the ball was in. Black fed. The referee played on, because the scrum was won by the team not offending first.

I'll have my first game tomorrow.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

If referees expect the SH to throw the ball in straight, they simply must understand that the scrum must not be moving at the time of the put in.
    That point was heavily emphasized at this evening's training session, led by an RFU Area Training Officer. You don't move from one part to the next unless the first has been satisfactorily completed. Video clips showed the referee whistling and re-starting.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player

Browner

I have made up this basic animation to graphically illustrate why the referee must ensure that the scrum is stationary when the scrum half throw the ball in.

The red line is the middle line of the scrum, which will move to the right with the scrum

The blue line (when it appears) will be that path the ball takes when it is thrown in straight

As you can see, the moving scrum is all the time pushing the opposing hooker away from the strike zone.

Same would apply if the grey team were moving forward, they would gain an unfair advantage
    Nice piece of work.... perhaps something has been lost in my written communication, because this point is rather basic and 100%understood. I also agree referees should ensure stable. I've heard many a SH claim that they needed to send it crooked because their pack lost the 'hit' & i'd read AS comments as meaning some kind of justification, apologies if I misread, but the written word sometimes reads different to the reader than the sender....

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade
    Assesing and advice

Quote Originally Posted by Browner View Post
    Nice piece of work.... perhaps something has been lost in my written communication, because this point is rather basic and 100%understood. I also agree referees should ensure stable. I've heard many a SH claim that they needed to send it crooked because their pack lost the 'hit' & i'd read AS comments as meaning some kind of justification, apologies if I misread, but the written word sometimes reads different to the reader than the sender....
    Hearing a SH claim this that and the other is hardly a new phenomenon - some may feel this claim should be treated the same as all the others. One is reminded of Peter and the wolf - they never learn.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Whittaker View Post
    Hearing a SH claim this that and the other is hardly a new phenomenon - some may feel this claim should be treated the same as all the others. One is reminded of Peter and the wolf - they never learn.

So, what, are you implying that the SH just feed the scrum straight while the referee ignores Law 20.1 (j)?
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade
    Assesing and advice

So, what, are you implying that the SH just feed the scrum straight while the referee ignores Law 20.1 (j)?
    As far as I recall it was the cries of Peter that eventually were ignored - not the presence of the wolf.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Whittaker View Post
    As far as I recall it was the cries of Peter that eventually were ignored - not the presence of the wolf.
    Too late for Peter though, wasn't it?
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player

SH has Hobson's choice, his 1st responsibility is to put in straight, after that the referee decides [sometimes wrongly, granted] the alternative is what .....SH doesn't put it in, or puts it in crooked?

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

SH has Hobson's choice, his 1st responsibility is to put in straight, after that the referee decides [sometimes wrongly, granted] the alternative is what .....SH doesn't put it in, or puts it in crooked?
    If the scrum jerks forward after the invitation, I think the scrum half is entitled to look at the referee to know if he still wants the ball thrown in. The referee should, of course, take some action other than insisting on the feed willy-nilly.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2

Nice piece of work.....
    I agree. Very impressive.

If I was the Grey SH I wouldn't budge. Just stand your ground and if the Black SH still wanted to throw it in, the pivot would ensure that an early shove would disadvantage his own team - which should stop any future fannying around. The only other option is to throw it in crooked.

Thread Information