Thread: Experiences of Crouch-Bind-Set-Yes 9

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer

Default Re: Experiences of Crouch-Bind-Set-Yes 9

Quote Originally Posted by Browner View Post
    all the separate RFU's will have their own guidance, surely central IRB location would be better, with then maybe some chance of worldwide consistent approach?
    that is not how the fundamental structure & funding of IRB & home unions (of all different sizes and stages of development) funding is made up.

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Thomas View Post
    that is not how the fundamental structure & funding of IRB & home unions (of all different sizes and stages of development) funding is made up.
    We know Simon, twas merely a utopian dream

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    RFU/Yorkshire/Army/Combined Services
    Grade
    National Panel AR

First experience on sat.

Pre match brief, it's up to us to make it work, so if you think it's a preseason so we will just reset and I wont bin players you are wrong, season standards start here.

From that 2 FKs and all was well.

The hardest part was getting them to crouch ear to ear, but when they did it was easy?
    Get married again??? No I am going to miss out the middle bit, Just find somebody I hate and buy them a house

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    how will any new people who join the society next month get to see it ?
    it seems most Societies have the new RFU Guidance on their web site.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Thomas View Post
    it seems most Societies have the new RFU Guidance on their web site.
    A number of us (including Adam) were told that the RFU are still intent on fine tuning their guidance for SEP prior to the start of the season. Whether this results in another "Papal Bull" from Twickenham we'll see.

My son who was playing in the second row on Saturday (and was not briefed by the referee) found it harder work than CTS/CTPE as it appears teams are "pushing" right from SET then going for/resisting a second shove later (hopefully when the ball comes in). That said he is a lazy bugger so I have no sympathy.

I won't get a chance to look at CBS for a few weeks yet but watching afew games on TV and a seeing one live game it appears there is still some work to do on all sides. I am tempted to agree with andyscott (Christ I never thought I'd say that) and insist we make players comply right from the get go rather than allowing a period of acclimatisation. I'm sure I'll view it differently once I'm faced with managing it for real.
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

I guess that other than Adam, taff426 and andyscott nobody was out testing the changes. Instead they were all worrying about the channels of communication.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade
    Assesing and advice

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Lifeson-Peart View Post
    I am tempted to agree with andyscott (Christ I never thought I'd say that) and insist we make players comply right from the get go rather than allowing a period of acclimatisation.
    There is some sound thinking there!! Rigid consistent application of the law from the start is essential. If the referees start easing off then the players will capitalise and feel they do not have to adapt - that is where it all went wrong before.

The players have got to learn to do it according to the law.

In view of the importance of this being accurate from the start it is tempting to suggest, if practicable, that societies should not appoint referees until they are satisfied that they have received appropriate instruction. Such as Hampshire meeting tonight!!!!

PS Observers cannot possibly do their job without having been similarly instructed!

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    WRU (Gwent)/ARURS
    Grade
    WRU Level 3 / RFU L7

"Well it's a combination of factors really!!!!":yc:

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Whittaker View Post
    PS Observers cannot possibly do their job without having been similarly instructed!
    Mike - noted. We will see who shows up this evening.

I can feel an Observer's Saturday morning meeting coming up very soon indeed.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Advisor & reffing a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Whittaker View Post
    In view of the importance of this being accurate from the start it is tempting to suggest, if practicable, that societies should not appoint referees until they are satisfied that they have received appropriate instruction. Such as Hampshire meeting tonight!!!!
    In East Mids we've been sent emails and texts saying we will not be appointed and should not do club games until we've been signed off by our training officer.

I didn't go to the BBQ yesterday but I understand there was going to be a session there for anyone wanting to do pre-season games with their clubs. As I have lots of non-rugby things to do before then, I'm happy to wait until our September conference.

Thread Information