Thread: Experiences of Crouch-Bind-Set-Yes 9

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player

Default Re: Experiences of Crouch-Bind-Set-Yes 9

Quote Originally Posted by Toby Warren View Post
    They couldn't because the concept was alien to them.

They had to be introduced to the concept of the 9 tapping the ball on the hooker's hand and hookers tap etc etc
    Hooray, *****Headline****** "players of all shapes & sizes to be welcomed back to rugby again!" , including those buggers who are shortarses, but can hip flex easily to win possession for their team .......... so recently overlooked in favour of bigger 2's who shove on the hit better & ball carry better ........... eureka - ! This will upset the RugbyLeagists who once saw Ellery Hanley playing second row merely cos it didn't make a diddlyjot difference ......

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7

Quote Originally Posted by Browner View Post
    This will upset the RugbyLeagists who once saw Ellery Hanley playing second row merely cos it didn't make a diddlyjot difference ......
    What?
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

Quote Originally Posted by Browner View Post
    This will upset the RugbyLeagists who once saw Ellery Hanley playing second row merely cos it didn't make a diddlyjot difference ......
    I remember watching a RL international some years ago, and when a replacement came on the commentator said "We don't know if he will play hooker or scrum half." It's a different game.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    I remember watching a RL international some years ago, and when a replacement came on the commentator said "We don't know if he will play hooker or scrum half." It's a different game.
    Indeedy.

Rob Burrow of Leeds Rhinos frequently moves 'twixt 7 and 9.

Attachment 2615
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    Hopefully the 6ft 2in+ hooker will become extinct again, as long legs prove once again to be difficult to hook with

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Felk View Post
    This latest move has probably saved the Rugby Union Scrum because I believe we were only one or two major injuries away from Rugby League style scrums
    WADR, based on what evidence? Refs post here that say they have two collapses A SEASON. many refs here say that there is no problem at grassroots. as a coach at grassroots (youth) typically the scrummage issues I see are through poor technique in young people that are still not body aware, not because of huge hits and skullduggery.

I would hope that if the iRB had ever seriously suggested RL style scrums because of elite end injuries, the huge % in grassroots would have made sufficient noise for them to sort it out where its happening and not spoiling everybody else's game.

didds

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    WADR, based on what evidence? Refs post here that say they have two collapses A SEASON. many refs here say that there is no problem at grassroots. as a coach at grassroots (youth) typically the scrummage issues I see are through poor technique in young people that are still not body aware, not because of huge hits and skullduggery.

I would hope that if the iRB had ever seriously suggested RL style scrums because of elite end injuries, the huge % in grassroots would have made sufficient noise for them to sort it out where its happening and not spoiling everybody else's game.

didds
    To be fair to Felk Didds, the vast majority of changes to the game in recent years have been driven from the top down.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    UK
    Grade
    Select Grade

A trial match again last night. Scrums went off without a hitch this time.

Laid expectations out from the start, included 2nd rows in my brief
    Slow and steady calls
    No tolerance on early shove or engage which killed it straight away (1 of each)
    3x not straight feeds called
    No collapses
    2 resets after ball exited the tunnel the same side

Positive reviews from the players afterwards. Initially didn't like the trial but 2 games in and I can see a hugely positive difference to scrum management

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade
    Assesing and advice

Quote Originally Posted by jonesp92 View Post
    A trial match again last night. Scrums went off without a hitch this time.

Laid expectations out from the start, included 2nd rows in my brief
    Slow and steady calls
    No tolerance on early shove or engage which killed it straight away (1 of each)
    3x not straight feeds called
    No collapses
    2 resets after ball exited the tunnel the same side

Positive reviews from the players afterwards. Initially didn't like the trial but 2 games in and I can see a hugely positive difference to scrum management
    So good to read of such a positive approach to the changes!

No doubt those who go looking for problems will find them, whereas you are looking to manage the challenges - and succeeding.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Advisor & reffing a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    Pressure from legislators and courts comes from high profile cases - it's possible a grassroots accident could provoke this but a player getting a broken neck on live TV in front of millions would be difficult to ignore.

It wouldn't be the IRB, it'd be local authority planning committees who'd refuse permission for any development at rugby clubs for fear of being sued later for allowing something as "obviously dangerous" as rugby union to continue to go ahead. Insurers would decline to cover rugby union players, match officials and so on.

The IRB would then be forced to go for uncontested scrums or the game would be dead outside countries like Argentina.

Thread Information