Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Experiences of Crouch-Bind-Set-Yes 9

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade

Default Re: Experiences of Crouch-Bind-Set-Yes 9

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Question for all of you : should yes9 be loud enough for everyone to hear, or simply loud enough for the scrum half to hear ?
    My own view is that even eye contact with the #9 is adequate in practice - though the powers that be will doubtless disagree. The feeding #9 is the only person who needs to know that he may start his routine to introduce the ball. Arguably the hooker too, but if you're going to yell so that he can hear with his scrumcap on and his ears wedged into a prop and his oppo, you'll be hoarse at the end of the game.
    Don't feed the pedant!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer

cross ref

best crouch position is ear to ear, or if they are messing about close up to cheek to cheek. any further apart and a fold in collapse is likely.

I prefer the Yes 9 to loud enough for all to hear, including coaches on touchline !

and if they are not static before Yes 9, either penalise the offenders, or if a mess or both to blame, blow it and reset.

zero tolerance is needed to get it right

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade
    Assesing and advice

Agree with Simon. The best communicators only need to be miked up to the observer so he can keep tabs on the 'quiet word' that may spoken from time to time. (unless crowd noise excessive!!) Everything else is for all to hear and know.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Thomas View Post
    and if they are not static before Yes 9, either penalise the offenders, or if a mess or both to blame, blow it and reset.

??

but surely "yes9" can't happen until the scrum IS static (S&S) ?????

confused of devizes.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    ??

but surely "yes9" can't happen until the scrum IS static (S&S) ?????

confused of devizes.
    Exactly Didds - if not static Yes 9 should NOT be called. And either FK/PK the offending early pusher/wheeler/non binder etc, or reset with appropriate management reminders.

I have this lunchtime at a warm up match watched a club referee get it totally wrong on almost every scrum. He knew all the correct calls but failed to either manage or sanction anything. After Q1 he was "chasing" the SET with it merged with BIND as the FR decided they were going anyway. It was perfectly safe so I stayed out of it, but was very unimpressed.

Just as bad was his tackle management where he penalised second and even third offence, not the first. Lamentable.

He declined a "helpful chat" over a beer in the bar, saying he had been reffing for years and knew the Laws, so didn't have any problems.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    CUDRRS
    Grade

I also go for the ear to ear closeness. One of the coaches yesterday said I was the first this season to demand this. Once they had set and there was evidently some movement I waited for them to stop. Told them I'd wait 5 mins if needed for there to be a static, square and stable scrum. They soon learned that it wasn't worth pushing early.

One fk for not straight. The sh said that the scrum wasn't stationary! Which fk do you want then? Not straight or your guys pushing early?
    Doucement le matin, pas trop vite le soir!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    UK
    Grade
    Select Grade

Why does the whole scum need to hear "yes 9"?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

In my PMB I stated ear to ear.
    First scrum, crouch, peep, stand up, not close enough. Crouch, peep, still not close enough, remember the brief, ear to ear.
    Once they got it right the first time, we were good all game.

Yes 9 was nice and loud. Why not?

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    SRU / Edinburgh / Army / CS
    Grade
    National Panel

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Question for all of you : should yes9 be loud enough for everyone to hear, or simply loud enough for the scrum half to hear ?
    I have tried both so far this early into the season and find that some of the scrums have triggered on a loud Y9 call so as soon as the 9 goes to insert the ball they have tried to anticipate the ball entry. When i have called it just for the 9 to hear considering he is just stood next to me I have found the scrum to be much more stable as teams cant anticipate.

As an aside on the set I have allowed both packs time to adjust their feet if needed to find that stable position they require as each prop/pack sets their feet differently and needs to find that stable drive position but no call of Y9 untill S&S.

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    ?? but surely "yes9" can't happen until the scrum IS static (S&S) ????? confused of devizes.
    As I see it some problems can arise after the ref shouts Yes 9".

Eg in last nights Treviso v Ospreys match a number of scrum were S&S when ref called "Yes 9" but then the fancying around started in the time it took the SH to put the ball in. This is why I reckon the refs call should be an immediate instruction and not an invitation.

Thread Information