Thread: Experiences of Crouch-Bind-Set-Yes 9

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default Re: Experiences of Crouch-Bind-Set-Yes 9

Quote Originally Posted by damo View Post
    but I thought I saw something interesting from Pollock in an ITM Cup game the other day. Instead of saying "Yes 9", he just tapped the halfback on the shoulder. It seemed to work well.
    that's in line with the way the original material circualted by the IRB and the RFU. But since then 'yes-9' seems to have crystalized as the desired standard.

at the london society briefing I went to, they simply defined 'yes-9' as a society standard, which we are all instructed to use.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Of course you're right, but they had to wait for the ball to leave his hands under the old law.

But they still do?

It wasn't working - which is why we have the new law trial. Of course we could say "Enforce the early shove" but we could have said that last season and the season before that.
    Why not? And I was under the impression from here that community refs did enforce it?

Why is it then that it wasn't enforced (allegedly) before but is now? It just doesn't add up?

[QUOTE=Taff;250718]
    IMO as soon as the SH hears "Yes 9" he should put it in immediately ie if it was up to me it should be an order not an invite.[QUOTE]

I do sympathise... but all that does is dumb the game down even more, removing some tactical options.

The IRB want it to be an invite - fine; but in that case you just have to accept that the scrum may not be S&S by the time the ball comes in (as happened a few times in the Treviso v Ospreys game) and you're then relying on the ref to FK / PK an early shove,

well... why wouldn't he?

ie back to where we were last season. The only difference then though is that this season is that Refs are told to be far stricter on the early shove.
    which brings us back to the question - why didn't they ping it last year?

Which further underlines the queries ariound why this "new" law is needed when all of its provisions were alrteady available with the caveat of enshrining S&S BEFORE put in.

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7

Quote Originally Posted by Browner View Post
    in my game both front rows started crouching without being asked, all without any issues (other than me saying closer ear2ear please) so i just let them...... im now wondering what would happen if they were just allowed to C & B in their own time, ....... in simple terms ''nothing'' was happening before the set, so i can see ditching C long term, and even a case for ditching ''Bind'' once this has bedded down .......
    When I got to L8 (not really before that) I came across teams who'd form their scrum with the FR stood up/half crouched/crouched (this was with CTPE, I haven't used the new one yet )- all idiosyncratic bollocks but not illegal. As long as teams come up with this sort of stuff then CBSY9 or whatever will not morph into a "get yourself comfy" free for all IMHO
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Browner View Post
    in my game both front rows started crouching without being asked, all without any issues (other than me saying closer ear2ear please) so i just let them...... im now wondering what would happen if they were just allowed to C & B in their own time, ....... in simple terms ''nothing'' was happening before the set, so i can see ditching C long term, and even a case for ditching ''Bind'' once this has bedded down .......

what - like wahat we used to do back in the 80s you mean? before the irb started fiddling with the engagement sequence?

didds

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    Which further underlines the queries ariound why this "new" law is needed when all of its provisions were alrteady available with the caveat of enshrining S&S BEFORE put in.

didds
    Water under the bridge. The massive difference now is that there is a MANDATORY pause between the engagement and the feed. If "Yes, 9" were an instruction, you would again get instability on the feed. Let's give this new approach a chance.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Indeed OB - we are where we are. My points were made purely to query why an early shove woulnd't be penalised now... its clear that its no pushing before ball in - and i do;t see that the side with the put in should be denied whatever mild tactical benefits there are to that simply because packs cannot wait for a very short while for the put-in. If its taking the s/h 10 seconds after Y9 tha's a different situation ... but I don;t see that it has to be < 1 second say.

didds

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    ELRA 1-2 and ref kids u12

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post

Question for all of you : should yes9 be loud enough for everyone to hear, or simply loud enough for the scrum half to hear ?
    Surely just for the scrum half, or it kills the hooking contest and the advantage of the side with the put in? I think this part needs changing to allow a silent nod or thumbs up imho.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    UK
    Grade
    Select Grade

I don't think "yes 9" needs to be overly loud, only the putting in 9 really needs to hear it, but having said that there isn't a real need to tone down the volume deliberately either. I just go with how it comes out!! Not worth worrying too much about

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Suffolk and North Essex/ Eastern Counties Federation
    Grade
    Level 6

If I'm on the opposite side to SH obviously the forwards hear it. Conversely if I'm on the SH side it's me telling the SH that I'm happy the scrum is stable and he can crack on.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade
    Assesing and advice

And I suppose that the none putting in SH who calls 'squeeze' or something similar to his forwards as soon as the ref has whispered 'yes 9' would be penalised for err what? Not within the spirit of the game in spoiling the hooking contest??

Thread Information