Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Experiences of Crouch-Bind-Set-Yes 9

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Suffolk and North Essex/ Eastern Counties Federation
    Grade
    Level 6

Default Re: Experiences of Crouch-Bind-Set-Yes 9

bcm666. I was meaning the distance between the players in the scrum. To me they were ear to ear but from the side line the assessor thought it was too close. It's a learning curve being a new referee but I'm personally liking the "new" scrum procedure. Watched your BT sport program about the professional game. Very interesting. Especially when you compared the stoop as it was to it is now.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade
    Assesing and advice

Well it doesn't actually seem as if anybody on this board actually is having 'such a problem' with Yes 9.

But it is nice to have a bit of open discussion about a significant change and consider various eventualities.

And the things everyone seems to have agreed on for quite a while are...

1. No hit
    2. Scrum S&S
    3 Ball in straight without delay
    4 No shoving before ball comes in.

Debating how the call is given to the SH is only a minor point and one which will resolve in time.
    But do front rows ever listen to referees anyway once they are buried in the set?!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    UK
    Grade
    Select Grade

Daftmedic, when was that on?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 6

I watched it today on BTsport2 I believe. Had to look at BCM666 but sometimes you take the rough with the smooth

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    UK
    Grade
    Select Grade

Thanks! I will have a look for a repeat.

Brian Moore
    Ex England International Hooker

Soc/Assoc
    West London
    Grade
    I am a Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Daftmedic View Post
    bcm666. I was meaning the distance between the players in the scrum. To me they were ear to ear but from the side line the assessor thought it was too close. It's a learning curve being a new referee but I'm personally liking the "new" scrum procedure. Watched your BT sport program about the professional game. Very interesting. Especially when you compared the stoop as it was to it is now.
    This, to me, is a problem caused by not considering what matters and what does not. If the front rows interpret the bind as meaning they are close together then they obviously feel comfortable with that and provided they are bound as directed it shouldn't matter whether it looks a little too close to anyone else. If this doesn't lead to instability then let them get on with it. Next week the front rows may be a bit further apart but if they are still bound and there is not problem why create one?

When referees, especially at elite level, say they have so much to watch for it is because they equate each bit as being equally important - for example, this insistence for absolute balance and stillness at each stage of the engagement sequence is, to me, a counsel of perfection. It doesn't actually matter that they are not absolutely still throughout the process; what matters is that they are so on and after engagement and although they think one leads to the other and it doesn't.

There is almost certainly going to be a bit of movement immediately after the engagement as the binds settle and feet and bodies get set and this will happen whether the packs have been still at the other points or not, so, why create extra difficulties by insisting on this?

If the front rows are close and they don't settle then by all means try making them be a bit further apart and vice versa, but I don't think assessors should have what they consider an ideal gap when this will vary from game to game and between packs.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 6

Ta very muchly.

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player

Quote Originally Posted by bcm666 View Post

For this reason I see no good coming from making sure everyone can hear the call, provided the feeding side no 9 hears it what is to anyone else, apart from them wanting to hear it to guess the timing of the shove? Who else needs the call to do what they have or want to do at the scrum?

exactly - see my post #144

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by bcm666 View Post
    This, to me, is a problem caused by not considering what matters and what does not. If the front rows interpret the bind as meaning they are close together then they obviously feel comfortable with that and provided they are bound as directed it shouldn't matter whether it looks a little too close to anyone else. If this doesn't lead to instability then let them get on with it. Next week the front rows may be a bit further apart but if they are still bound and there is not problem why create one?
    brian the problem I observed last week is that if they started too far apart, then when they came to bind they 'fell into the bind' , by which I mean the bind command caused a shift as they leaned forward and then couldn't support their weight without coming together.

then they were effectively already set.

I think this is important : this isn't how the new sequence is supposed to be.

happily The cure was simple: get them to crouch closer.

Slowing down these days

Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    Level 8

Last weekend, one of my report cards ( the ones I hand to each Captain/Coach ) gave me feedback that I was not insisting the front row are forehead to forehead on/after the Crouch call. Is this mandatory ? I read the above and it seems safer to me to allow front row heads to be to the left slightly , if only because they wont be able to "bind" properly in the next few seconds when I call "Bind!".

I've resorted now to trying to not give advantage to the defending side by saying "Yes 9 , when you're ready". Although the context is important here : I have explained to the 9's, pre-match, that I will penalise any "undue delay" putting the ball in but I don't paint myself into a corner by saying exactly how long this delay is. If I think it's "undue" then I will whistle for it.

Hope this is ok ?

Thread Information