Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade
    Assesing and advice

Default Re: Experiences of Crouch-Bind-Set-Yes 9

Quote Originally Posted by Browner View Post
    exactly - see my post #144
    The 6 referees I have watched so far (panel to L10 in friendlies) have all been consistently clear and audible with 'yes 9' and had no problems whatsoever.

I do of course still respect the views of those who wish for the SH putting in to be the only one who hears the call and look forward to seeing it in practice. Suspect I may have a long wait...

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Whittaker View Post
    The 6 referees I have watched so far (panel to L10 in friendlies) have all been consistently clear and audible with 'yes 9' and had no problems whatsoever.

I do of course still respect the views of those who wish for the SH putting in to be the only one who hears the call and look forward to seeing it in practice. Suspect I may have a long wait...
    It's accepted that there might not be any problem with a loud Y9 shout, certainly as scrums get used to the idea that they can't shove before the ball arrives it may work perfectly well. But my suspicion is that Y9 will become the catalyst for 'pressure to increase' ..... similar to 'take the strain' in tug of war, certainly coaches will try to squeeze every advantage they can ......... but we'll wait to see............Personally I can't see much downside to only the scrum halves being advised, is there one/any?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade
    Assesing and advice

Quote Originally Posted by Browner View Post
    Personally I can't see much downside to only the scrum halves being advised, is there one/any?
    Well if you see it being done in a clear consistent manner so that only the SH putting the ball in hears the Y9 then do say. Practical observation may be of more value than theory? :-)

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player

We both know we'll hear audible Y9's , only because it's the 'instruction'! But then, I used to see a time lapsed 'Pause' which was then followed by a loud shout of 'PAUSE' (so that was a double pause then) & that was a poorly thought out instruction that everyone compliantly followed! Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.
    Bertrand Russell

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

In theory the referee could give a hand signal. Obviously the tight forwards would not be able to see that.

However if they felt it was important to give an early warning, the opposition scrum half could shout "Ready", thus undoing the supposed benefit of the secret signal.

I think the current "Set" is in fact the equivalent of "Take the strain" in tug of war, which is why the delay by the scrum half should not be too long.

We are still seeing clubs work out how to fit into the new paradigm, so I am happy to wait a few weeks yet to watch it develop.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

We were advised on 17th Sept that we would adopt the new CBS effective 21st Sept but only for 7-a-side. Attached to this communication was a video where the ref says "OK" to the SH
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchTPEngage View Post
    Last weekend, one of my report cards ( the ones I hand to each Captain/Coach ) gave me feedback that I was not insisting the front row are forehead to forehead on/after the Crouch call. Is this mandatory ? I read the above and it seems safer to me to allow front row heads to be to the left slightly , if only because they wont be able to "bind" properly in the next few seconds when I call "Bind!".

I've resorted now to trying to not give advantage to the defending side by saying "Yes 9 , when you're ready". Although the context is important here : I have explained to the 9's, pre-match, that I will penalise any "undue delay" putting the ball in but I don't paint myself into a corner by saying exactly how long this delay is. If I think it's "undue" then I will whistle for it.

Hope this is ok ?
    No they should not be forehead to forehead ! You were right to want the heads inthe gap. Ear to ear or if they are messing about even cheek to cheek.

You are required to say "yes 9" whether it be quietly (not my preference) or as is done at Level 5 at a decent invitation volume (as I suggest all our Society's members should do).

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Whittaker View Post

As it should be Mike for referees under our juristiction and Group, who were asked to say Yes 9 loudly. Jacko / Womble what were Panel recommended to do ?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

To expect a referee to say "Yes 9" in such a way that only the SH can hear is riduculous and unworkable I would have to almost whisper in his ear, which means I am now out of position.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    To expect a referee to say "Yes 9" in such a way that only the SH can hear is riduculous and unworkable I would have to almost whisper in his ear, which means I am now out of position.
    I wasn't advocating that 'only' the SH must hear Y9, but that he's the only person that 'needs' to hear it , so speak as loudly as is needed to achieve this. All scrum participants need to react to the ball leaving the scrum half's hands so they have no need to hear Y9.

Thread Information