Thread: Experiences of Crouch-Bind-Set-Yes 9

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer

Default Re: Experiences of Crouch-Bind-Set-Yes 9

Quote Originally Posted by jonesp92 View Post
    I don't really know how societies deal with referees not doing what is expected of them, any ideas?
    We receive feedback from Coaching and Assessment Reports, Club Cards, emails / calls from coaches or DoR, and general conversations on a whole range of referee related issues - some complaints and some praise !

If Society Referees are out of line with specific IRB, RFU or Society guidance a quiet word might be had by one of the Committee (usually me as SADO or KML1 as our Training Officer) and an " adjustment " suggestion made. That conversation will all depend on the experience & grade level of the referee and their development plan, their attendance at Training Meetings, and what is behind it all.

If it is a serious issue affecting safety, direct disregard for agreed procedures, or a maverick tendency the conversation is important and compliance would be expected.

We woud follow a standard ATP process.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    This weekend I had both scrumhalves feeding the ball nose first with a spin. One was very much a newbie but the other clearly knew better. Then again, she also was indignant when I called feeding after the put in first hit the hooker's thigh.

All in all, it looks to help.
    Both nose first and feeding to hooker have always has been illegal and nothing new or related to this season's LATS.

Well done for the making the feeding call.

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    After the match one of the coaches "told me" that it was OK to put one foot in front of the other but that the heel of the front foot must not go past the toe of the other foot.... which I have to say I raised an eyebrow at as nowhere have I ever read this as a law....He is however our forwards' coach so wanted to get the definitive answer from you guys before I set him right!!

He's right, 20.2[c] permits it, PROVIDED 20.2.[a] is observed ..... ie not further ahead of a props feet that are in a NORMAL SHOVING POSITION

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Kent
    Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Lifeson-Peart View Post
    I had to search through all this guff about the scrum to find a couple of folks not off topic on this music thread. I thought CBS&Y9 were a great band. The harmonies on Suite:Judy Blue Eyes are fantastic !
    Last edited by Wedgie; 24-09-13 at 08:09.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie View Post
    I had to search through all this guff about the scrum to find a couple of folks not off topic on this music thread. I thought CBS&Y9 were a great band. The harmonies on Suite:Judy Blue Eyes are fantastic !
    Originally CBS did Suite:Judy Blue Eyes. Y9 joined them later (This all sounds familiar) for Deja Vu, having done a couple of solo projects since leaving Buffalo Springfield.

Yes the harmonies are excellent....."Will you come see meeeeeee? Thursdays and Saturdays........whad've you got to looooooooose?"
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade
    Assesing and advice

Can honestly say that in post match debrief for the last 3 appointed observations, the scrum has been a minor matter. Refs and players with good commonsense are making it work well and getting on with the game.

All we need now is commonsense approach to cleaning up the tackle / post tackle which will continue to be the major challenge for all aspiring refs.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Whittaker View Post
    All we need now is commonsense approach to cleaning up the tackle / post tackle which will continue to be the major challenge for all aspiring refs.
    Now now, don't be too hasty we don't want it too easy and everyone rushing to be a rugby ref!
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

I was waiting for Dragons v Scarlets on BBC RB 301 last friday evening... and I only just caught a snippet of some scrummaging practise on a video filler with talk to a coach. Whatever pro team it was they were scrummaging on a machine.

Crouch - Bind - set -- all good. Except on the "set" there was STILL a push forwards - several small steps in unsion - before the settle and the yes 9.

I despair.

didds

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Whittaker View Post
    Can honestly say that in post match debrief for the last 3 appointed observations, the scrum has been a minor matter. Refs and players with good commonsense are making it work well and getting on with the game.

That is my experience as well.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Somerset
    Grade
    Level 6

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    I was waiting for Dragons v Scarlets on BBC RB 301 last friday evening... and I only just caught a snippet of some scrummaging practise on a video filler with talk to a coach. Whatever pro team it was they were scrummaging on a machine.

Crouch - Bind - set -- all good. Except on the "set" there was STILL a push forwards - several small steps in unsion - before the settle and the yes 9.

I despair.

didds
    Agree, coaches are still telling players to "chase their feet" after the "hit"
    __________________________________________________ _______

happy with this posting

Thread Information