Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to make Mouthguards compulsory for rugby players?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade

Default Re: Is it time to make Mouthguards compulsory for rugby players?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
    But with gum shields, is there a major downside? I am trying to think of (non-medical) reasons why a player might choose not to wear one, any ideas?
    Uncomfortable
    Makes it hard to breathe
    Cuts the inside of the mouth
    Makes you gag
    Unhygienic (I accept that they could be sterilised in between games, but by the same token young men might also wash from time to time and do the dishes - let's stay in the realms of the probable)
    Don't feed the pedant!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6

If you want a comfortable one then visit your dentist who will make you a bespoke one with a posh case too!
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    Uncomfortable
    Makes it hard to breathe
    Makes you gag
    Unhygienic (I accept that they could be sterilised in between games, but by the same token young men might also wash from time to time and do the dishes - let's stay in the realms of the probable)
    I think this is one of the problems, people still have an outdated view of mouthguards as chunky blocks of plastic that make you gag. Before the custom-fit one I wear now I was wearing a SISU Guard which is 1.6mm thick and you cant even notice you are wearing! (definitely sounded like a rep for sisu then) but my point is there are options available and players should be educated.

I had started to believe that maybe highly recommended should remain the standard before looking into injuries caused by teeth on others, I'm now back at my original compulsory standpoint, it can't be that hard.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Ewanvj View Post
    looking into injuries caused by teeth on others, I'm now back at my original compulsory standpoint, it can't be that hard.
    yes - that's the factor that one day will cause mouthguards to be compulsory in adults.

adults are free to take foolish risks with their own teeth, but one day we'll take the view that naked teeth are actually a danger to other players, and we'll make people wear guards, just as we make them remove rings, and check their studs/boots for sharp edges.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria -The North
    Grade
    Advisor/Assessor

A view from a long ago thread on this very topic -you are protecting your own lips/cheeks from injury from your own teeth. Teeth are designed to cut flesh -ask any dog.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
    (Groucho Marx)

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player

[QUOTE=Dixie;249218]Uncomfortable
    Makes it hard to breathe
    Makes you gag
    Unhygienic QUOTE]
    + makes verbal communications more difficult to understand . . . . . .

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    yes - that's the factor that one day will cause mouthguards to be compulsory in adults.

adults are free to take foolish risks with their own teeth, but one day we'll take the view that naked teeth are actually a danger to other players, and we'll make people wear guards, just as we make them remove rings, and check their studs/boots for sharp edges.
    For years my elbows, knees, boots & head were a danger to other players, wonder when we'll be forced cover or remove them, or perhaps play in slippers ! ............. If my teeth ever damage an opponent, i'll claim the Horwill Defence, I didn't know his head was there & I was unbalanced by my tongue that slipped on my saliva !

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade
    Assesing and advice

And how about a mouthguard for referees in view of the risk of high speed contact?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I for one would support your right to be a complete idiot ...

(if the point of impact is a single tooth, it really doesn't take much to knock it right out).
    I didn't wear one from age 15 up until when I stopped playing aged 21. I was a lock/flanker so my head was often down the bottom of a ruck etc and whilst I have copped a boot in the face/mouth I still have all of my teeth.

I didn't feel comfortable with one in and breathing wasn't easy for me so I decided not to wear one. Now if a referee tried to make me wear one I would pull one out of my bag and chuck it in but it would be thrown to the sideline pretty quickly.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Bay of Plenty
    Grade
    Secondary School

I always wore one. I think we bought one the same day we bought boots. Never played a game without one. Perhaps if you start wearing one from the very start you just get used to it and all the issues that have been raised do not occur?
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

Thread Information