Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Punching fighting. If punches miss, is that not a red then ?

Slowing down these days

Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    Level 8

Default Re: Punching fighting. If punches miss, is that not a red then ?

Thanks for the advice, people ! I think that ,after control has broken-down like that , both sides must have expected (and their coaches didn't complain later ) about the reds. I felt that it sent a message to both sides to stop retaliation. There had been no foul-play or allegations of such until that point.

Just another thoughts, in the last 10 minutes of the match, would you tend to yellow more than red-card offences becasue (a) It achieves the goal of getting those players off the pitch and (b) means less paper-work for the reports afterwards ?
    I'd love to see the stats on what minute of the match a red is issued versus a yellow. That would be interesting !

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

You RC a player for a punch in the first 10 minutes.

Oppo player punches with 7 minutes to go and gets a YC.

Now explain to the first player why.

Could be an "invitation" to wait for your retaliation until 9 minutes to go...

didds

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchTPEngage View Post
    Just another thoughts, in the last 10 minutes of the match, would you tend to yellow more than red-card offences becasue (a) It achieves the goal of getting those players off the pitch and (b) means less paper-work for the reports afterwards ?
    Emphatically not.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Club
    Grade
    interested bystander

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchTPEngage View Post
    a lot of people (openly) do this. i would be surprised if anyone who took it seriously (i.e. society referees) fell into this category, but i know which of my club refs do.
    Hi. I'm Barry Scott.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Had one of these.
    Kick to the head,player on the floor moved out of the way.
    I red carded the would be kicker.
    That got him off the pitch.
    At the hearing they said the offence was kicking another player, but as no kick had taken place (because there was no contact), he got off.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player

I'm slightly dismayed that most posters seem to think that RC x1 x2 x3 is the automatic result of all affray's ....... whatever happened to cautioning, calming down & diffusing as tools ? sometimes 10 minutes to calm down with a "next foul play for you=RC" warning, works a treat. In most cases the 'catalyst' for the 'handbags' isn't actually seen by the referee, so he's usually dealing with the secondary action...... Or am I alone in this approach?

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    Had one of these.
    Kick to the head,player on the floor moved out of the way.
    I red carded the would be kicker.
    That got him off the pitch.
    At the hearing they said the offence was kicking another player, but as no kick had taken place (because there was no contact), he got off.
    Had they said the offence was 10.4[m] "sportsmanship" ..... as suggested by OB, then what would the hearing have likely concluded as a punishment ? 100 lines " I must improve my foul play execution, or desist from attempting it"

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

Quote Originally Posted by Browner View Post
    I'm slightly dismayed that most posters seem to think that RC x1 x2 x3 is the automatic result of all affray's ....... whatever happened to cautioning, calming down & diffusing as tools ? sometimes 10 minutes to calm down with a "next foul play for you=RC" warning, works a treat. In most cases the 'catalyst' for the 'handbags' isn't actually seen by the referee, so he's usually dealing with the secondary action...... Or am I alone in this approach?
    It depends entirely on the actual details.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    CUDRRS
    Grade

And the eample of televised games adds further confusion. Punches thrown and missed but no card of any colour.

Open hand or closed hand? Over the weekend in one televised Welsh(?) game one player threw a ball at another's head, the other responded with open hand to face (contact made) - outcome was 2 YCs.
    Doucement le matin, pas trop vite le soir!

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Browner View Post
    I'm slightly dismayed that most posters seem to think that RC x1 x2 x3 is the automatic result of all affray's ....... whatever happened to cautioning, calming down & diffusing as tools ? sometimes 10 minutes to calm down with a "next foul play for you=RC" warning, works a treat.

counsel for the ambulance chaser: So - you saw Mr X punch a player on Mr A's team, but you did not send him off warning that if he did it again he'd would be dismissed on that occassion. My client's jaw was broken in 4 places 2 minutes later when Mr. X punched him. Can you explain to the court how your actions at the first punch did not contribute to my clients injuries and subsequent loss of income.

Browner: errrrrrr

Counsel~:Because it seems to me that had you had dismissed such a violent individual the fist time, the second punch could not have occurred.

Browner: errrr

etc.

Why should a player that has already displayed direct violence towards another be given a chance? this isn't the same as a crooked feed!

didds
    Last edited by didds; 16-09-13 at 16:09.

Thread Information