Thread: Overpronator's Boots?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    L.S.R.F.U.R
    Grade
    10+1

Default Overpronator's Boots?

Hi,

Anyone recommend boots that give good support for over pronators?

I've found the Adidas TRX have none and are lethal for my ankles.

Thx,
    Mark

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Overpronator's Boots?

Check out the asics website...they typically give a description of their footwear suitable for pronation.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    L.S.R.F.U.R
    Grade
    10+1

Quote Originally Posted by menace View Post
    Check out the asics website...they typically give a description of their footwear suitable for pronation.
    They are good for running shoes, but they have one boot on their website and that is the lethal hybrid 4. It suggests it has midsole stability but thats about it.

Have you got experience of the Asics boots ?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7

Without meaning to sound flippant can't you use some sort of orthotic?

I have asics boots but then again I don't overpronate so that doesn't really help. I would have thought that their running shoe techology must have migrated into their other footware but then again that relies on someone telling the 8 years olds stiching them together to put the correct bits in - ooh bidda politics there!

If you get no further I can ask my Podiatry Student son if he knows of any makes that are better than others - don't get too optimistic. Pictures of him galavanting round town are ten a penny but some technical advice may take longer.

Good luck in the meantime.
    Last edited by Lee Lifeson-Peart; 30-09-13 at 10:09.
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR

I have found that Asics are the only football boot manufacturer that incorporates any type of foot support in their products. I have looked at many boots, some (such as Adidas) with outrageous price tags, that are still only a dead flat sole with studs on the bottom. You are just paying for the fancy upper.
    I require a boot with good arch support and Asics were the only brand that had arch and heel support that I could find.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by liversedge View Post
    They are good for running shoes, but they have one boot on their website and that is the lethal hybrid 4. It suggests it has midsole stability but thats about it.

Have you got experience of the Asics boots ?
    Fair call..I thought they had a bit more, but you're right it's limited to runners. My bad...apologies for sending you up the garden path.

Having said that, yes I've had experience with asics. I ended up with them after a recommendation after visiting 'Footlocker' looking for joggers, and had a thermo scan of my feet. Walked out of the shop with proper fitting boots and runners...and have never looked back. All boots before and after have either left me sore or nursing an injury. For eg I recently tried Nomis boots for hard ground with small studs (as asics don't make them) and starting the 2nd half I'd suffered a 1st grade calf tear. Previous calf tear was 4 years earlier wearing Adidas. Could be coincidence, but I think boots had something to do with it. Next boots Ill get will be asics again, and ill have 'footlocker' recommend the correct ones for my pronation (slightly over). Then again we have a dozen or so expensive asics models to choose from!
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    L.S.R.F.U.R
    Grade
    10+1

Quote Originally Posted by menace View Post
    Having said that, yes I've had experience with asics. I ended up with them after a recommendation after visiting 'Footlocker' looking for joggers, and had a thermo scan of my feet. Walked out of the shop with proper fitting boots and runners...and have never looked back. All boots before and after have either left me sore or nursing an injury. For eg I recently tried Nomis boots for hard ground with small studs (as asics don't make them) and starting the 2nd half I'd suffered a 1st grade calf tear. Previous calf tear was 4 years earlier wearing Adidas. Could be coincidence, but I think boots had something to do with it. Next boots Ill get will be asics again, and ill have 'footlocker' recommend the correct ones for my pronation (slightly over). Then again we have a dozen or so expensive asics models to choose from!
    Thanks, that is really useful to hear, because I am convinced the minor calf tear i experienced was due to my boots. I used Adidas TRX for hard ground and really regret it - I would have been much better off wearing trainers (I mean, its not like I will be cleaning out or in the front row!).

I already have Asics boots (Lethal Scrum) for soft ground and they've been pretty good. But will go looking for some orthotics too. For extra stability I've also been using an ankle support.

God I feel old. And I'm only 46!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Yorkshire (South)
    Grade
    SYRS Training Officer
    Blog Entries

Hi Liversedge, I am the so called Galavanter (cheers Dad). There are no boots for over pronators, the best thing that you can have is orthoses. Now, not being biased, i recommend a University Clinic. I can only give you an example, but at Northampton you would have 1 consultation where a pair of temporary felt insoles would be made, another a few weeks later to take a template and have a review of the temporaries, and then a final fitting. The cost of the consultations would come to £30, and the price of the device is £30.. obviously coming to £60 for the whole process. Now, depending on where you go privately (and as i can see you're based in That London) you're looking at £30-40 pound a consultation and then maybe £200 for the devices! The ones made at unis are arguably better as the only reason we charge is to cover costs, not to make money!

If you ever want to come up (only an hours drive or so) Northampton is the best Uni in the country for podiatry and has some of the best Orthopedics and MTL technicians lecturers in the country.

Can you tell me, do you go over on your ankles alot, do you have a high arch and do you get pain in your big toe?

Cheers
    Bisto

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Southern RL
    Grade
    Rugby League

I'm curious, is there another London? Many people have told me that one is enough...

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    L.S.R.F.U.R
    Grade
    10+1

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Bisto Taylor View Post
    Hi Liversedge, I am the so called Galavanter (cheers Dad). ...
    Can you tell me, do you go over on your ankles alot, do you have a high arch and do you get pain in your big toe?

Cheers
    Bisto
    Oh my, I didn't see this last year I am so sorry for not responding. I found this searching again this year LOL. So responding on the off chance you might see this.

On all accounts yes and ankle supports really helped, on both feet !

I was regularly going past Northampton on my way to Halifax all year. Gutted I didn't follow up.
    Still interested in following up if you see this.. am originally from Bedford and have family up there.

Mark

Thread Information