Thread: Toulouse v Connacht Rugby

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA

Question Toulouse v Connacht Rugby

Unfashionable Connacht have beaten the biggest budget in French rugby. Great week-end for Irish rugby.

Man in the middle, 31 year old Marius Mitrea was indecisive, leaning heavily on his assistant referee and the TMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugbyrama
    After 58 minutes of play Green pinch the ball inside their own 22. The touch down 80 meters later had the referee ask the TMO to check the 3rd last pass. Which was forward, no try. Fair enough so far, then followed a confused episode, with the AR calling play all the way back to Green's 22 for a knock-on by the French side. WTF? moment! Surely the knock-on would lead to advantage for Green?
    Where should play restart after the refused Robbie Henshaw try?
    There are more ways of killing a dog than choking it with butter.

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff
    Grade
    WRU Level 2

Default Re: Toulouse v Connacht Rugby

Was he playing advantage from the knock on? Did he call advantage over?
    The tenet that a referee is the sole arbiter of fact and law, allows me to be wrong, not stupid.

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA

Quote Originally Posted by All The Time Ref View Post
    Was he playing advantage from the knock on? Did he call advantage over?
    Hi ATTR,
    No the referee hadn't seen the Knock-on. His question to the TMO was to look at the third from last pass. He had correctly spotted that this pass was forward. However he then got sucked into a conversation with the AR, who had spotted a Knock-on by Toulouse way back at the point where the run started.

If he's checking the validity of a pass Inside Black's 22, how can play then be brought back 80m? There was no referee-mike available to the public, the man in the middle kept pushing his ear-piece back in, giving the impression he was struggling to hear what his colleagues were saying. That and both of the stadium's big screens were used as score boards ; so the ref couldn't see the replays clearly for himself, due to the oversized score obscuring the TMO images. If the game had been at the Sports Ground in the West of Ireland, the poor comms might be expected. A small bit of money well spent may be needed at Stade Ernest Wallon before the end of this year.

I could understand play being brought all the way back for a Green Knock-on Inside their own 22. But this baffles me, he's penalising Green by offering them a penalty 60m further back from where they made a forward pass.
    Law 12.1 The outcome of a knock-on or throw forward
    (a) Unintentional knock-on or throw forward. A scrum is awarded at the place of infringement.
    My thoughts are defensive scrum to Black at the spot where Green's forward pass took place.

I suspect some video highlights will become available during the week to make sense of this (& several other inconsistent calls) from the up and coming Italian ref.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 08-12-13 at 17:12.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    I am a Fan
    Grade
    Select Grade

I think the AR spoke about a green knock-on on their own 22 from the start, but not sure because of the pundits talking at the same time than the To3.

It was a fast double knock-on and, therefore, no advantage over had been called

Also, M Mitrea did always refer to the TMO as "any reason I cannot award the try" even when it seemed that he had not seen the grounding (therefore a "try or no try" question might have suited better).
    Sorry about my English, as it isn't my mother tonge.

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    Connacht
    Grade
    LEVEL 3 IRFU

Black originally knocked the ball on, ref calls knock on advantage, white then slap the ball pick it up run nearly the length of the pitch and score a great try.

AR then queries the white slap down. for me through my white tinted glasses it was just ok or not a clear and obvious knock on.
    the TMO rules it a knock on so we went back to the original black knock on from which white had no advantage as they knocked it on as well.

A couple of glaring mistakes for me, again through my white tinted glasses, black knocks on and a black player in front of him on the ground picks up the ball and plays it. should have been a pen to white, they only get a scrum.

White knocks on and then collects it and he gives a pen for off side, you cant be in front of yourself (same player involved)
    Courage is knowing what lies on the other side and still opening the door !

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    Connacht
    Grade
    LEVEL 3 IRFU

If the game had been at the Sports Ground in the West of Ireland, the poor comms might be expected.

I can vouch that the comms in Galway are in perfect working order thank you, im not sure why that would be expected.

And Unfashionable ???

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA

Arrow Re: Toulouse v Connacht Rugby

Quote Originally Posted by Shelflife View Post
    ...And Unfashionable ???
    I think Toulouse should be ashamed that their comms were poor on the night. The countless millions spend by that club, could surely stretch to a back-up earpiece for the ref. You yourself know that the Sports Ground has been "going to the dogs" after certain matches, for some time now.

The "unfashionable" comment was made in the heat of victory by either Bernard Jackman or Michael Corcoran on RTE. He was (of course) refering to the snubbing of (weaker) teams being included in the H-Cup ; depriving the cream of English and French sides of their rightful berths. Connacht was defo one of the teams we were told did not deserve to be in the H-Cup.
    Belief is coming Connacht's way now, the belief that they have as much right as the rest of them to compete. And looks like certain of the Toulouses 'n Northamptons of this world are being found out.

Thanks for the clarification about the Knock-on. At times during the game Marius Mitrea looked very unsure for himself & for much of the second half it seemed he was looking to one of the ARs to take certain decisions for him.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 08-12-13 at 21:12.

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA

Some highlights available, but not helpful to this discussion, since they're very short - ERC footage of the game. I was following the game on the radio, hadn't appreciated that Connacht were wearing their change strip. Green doesn't clash with Black 'n Red does it? Why the change of colours?

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    Connacht
    Grade
    LEVEL 3 IRFU

Connacht's HC strip is black this year. That's our away Jersey .

Thread Information