Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: IRB dispenses with Yes 9

Referees in the Cayman Islands

Soc/Assoc
    Cayman Islands
    Grade
    NACRA Panel

Default IRB dispenses with Yes 9

So, as predicted formal release from IRB dispensing with Yes 9. Any ideas on what constitutes non-verbal communication?

Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 13:18:46 +0000
    To: <[redacted]>
    ReplyTo: <james.fitzgerald@irb.com>
    Subject: IRB Media Release: IRB Further Empowers Referees at Scrums

www.irb.com 7 January 2014
    IRB MEDIA RELEASE Twitter alerts @IRBMedia

IRB Further Empowers Referees at Scrums
    In a minor revision to the current protocol surrounding the ongoing scrum engagement global trial, the International Rugby Board has confirmed that referees will use non-verbal communication to indicate to the scrum-half when the ball can be thrown into the scrum.
    Up to now as part of the scrum trial, the referee has told the scrum-half that the scrum is ready for the put-in by the use of the phrase “yes nine”. But following an initial review, including consultation with national coaches and referee managers, it has been decided that referees will adopt a non-verbal communication to scrum-halves for the introduction of the ball. This is in accordance with the relevant law (20.5 Throwing the Ball Into the Scrum).
    The change is effective immediately and will include this week’s Heineken Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup matches in the northern hemisphere (January 9-12). It will also include the next rounds of other elite competitions, including the Top 14 in France (January 24), Aviva Premiership in England (February 7-9) and the Rabo Direct Pro 12 in other parts of Europe (February 7-9).
    As with the original protocol, it is up to individual Unions to decide whether this change will be adopted at levels below elite Rugby.
    Further information:
    James Fitzgerald, IRB Media Manager, +353 86 1723 570, email james.fitzgerald@irb.com
    Related Items/Links
    IRB website
    Unsubscribe

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default Re: IRB dispenses with Yes 9

here's the public version

http://www.irb.com/newsmedia/mediazo...eferees+scrums

NB -
    As with the original protocol, it is up to individual Unions to decide whether this change will be adopted at levels below elite Rugby.
    Last edited by crossref; 07-01-14 at 15:01.

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    ARLB
    Grade
    National Panel

I think it's a good idea but I just know it's gonna be a pain in the arse come Saturday.
    Fine at elite level but the majority of spectators, coaches and players are gonna overlook the fact that at amateur level it's up to the governing unions or societies to implement it.
    If you look hard enough, there'll be a penalty in there somewhere.

The greatest ruck is one that never forms, but sometimes it can't be helped. #Woshkabomy

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

they say that

In a minor revision to the current protocol surrounding the ongoing scrum engagement global trial
    but it's funny as saying 'yes-9' is not even in the IRB protocol

http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?domain=11&amendment=21
    Last edited by crossref; 07-01-14 at 15:01.

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2

Yesterday it was "at all levels".

So it's business as usual with CBSY9&S until we get told differently by our society or the WRU then.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post

Yesterday it was "at all levels".

So it's business as usual with CBSY9&S until we get told differently by our society or the WRU then.
    yesterday's announcement was on planet rugby, today is the IRB.
    we have a society meeting on Thursday, so no doubt this will be mentioned!

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff
    Grade
    WRU Level 2

I don't see the problem. At my level I do nothing different until my society or the WRU tells me. The PMB tells the players what to expect during the game. The Spectators are secondary.

As per the other thread on "yes 9", the ref and the SHs will agree on a signal. So it's up to you.
    The tenet that a referee is the sole arbiter of fact and law, allows me to be wrong, not stupid.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Dave Sherwin;262843] Any ideas on what constitutes non-verbal communication?

I do believe the standard is, "wink, wink, nudge, nudge".

Know what I mean

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

This is in accordance with the relevant law (20.5 Throwing the Ball Into the Scrum).

Not exactly!

From the IRB site: Law 20.5 "No Delay. As soon as the front rows have come together, the scrum half must throw in the ball without delay. The scrum half must throw in the ball when told to do so by the referee. The scrum half must throw in the ball from the side of the scrum first chosen."

20.5 Needs an update.

- - - Updated - - -

This is in accordance with the relevant law (20.5 Throwing the Ball Into the Scrum).

Not exactly!

From the IRB site: Law 20.5 "No Delay. As soon as the front rows have come together, the scrum half must throw in the ball without delay. The scrum half must throw in the ball when told to do so by the referee. The scrum half must throw in the ball from the side of the scrum first chosen."

20.5 Needs an update.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

indeed, it's the opposite of the first sentence (and in line with the second).
    But this is a trial, by defintion a trial of new Laws will contrary to the current Laws. It's just odd for the IRB to say otherwise.

Thread Information