Well done. I owe you one.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade
    Assesing and advice

Default Re: IRB dispenses with Yes 9

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    Apparently because at the top levels, scrums were starting their push when they heard "yes 9".

No, I don't know why they could not simply tell the referees to penalise teams that pushed early.

No, I don't know why the matter was so urgent that it had to be actioned IMMEDIATELY (if not before).
    Agree with your setiments entirely OB!

Some will recall that when this 'yes 9' instruction was introduced there was much debate about it being a temptation for the early push etc. There were even suggestions that the call should be so quiet that only the '9' can hear it - yes really!!!

A number of experienced props at grass roots level told me they thought it was a stupid instruction to give when props are poised to push. The suggestion they all gave me was to drop the instruction and let the 9 just put it in. Ref can always say to 'hold it' if not S&S.

But as we have seen, the top refs are incapable of penalising effectively for an early push (effective meaning it deters!) as they are of penalising for a crooked feed - and so the rules have changed - again! The crooked feed and no hooking at top level will no doubt continue - too many vested interests in front row gym monkies. Thank goodness at grass roots we are seeing refs insist on straight put in and long may they do so. Keep it up lads, maybe the top level will catch on? Or not...

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff
    Grade
    WRU Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Well done. I owe you one.
    Can it be a prop for the first team?
    The tenet that a referee is the sole arbiter of fact and law, allows me to be wrong, not stupid.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London
    Grade
    New/Ungraded

Had my first experience of the silent signal to the SH yesterday. Schools U15 match, only problem was when I said 'Yes nine' instead of touching his shoulder. He put the ball in, we played on, at next scrum cheeky brat mentioned my mistake. I replyed 'Just testing' both SH's grinned and game went on.
    I found that if I was on the putting in side I could touch the SH's shoulder and retreat 3 or 4 steps to widen my view before he put the ball in enabling me to get my prefered wide angle of the scrum.
    But all in all a pointless change.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7

Quote Originally Posted by oldman View Post
    Had my first experience of the silent signal to the SH yesterday. Schools U15 match, only problem was when I said 'Yes nine' instead of touching his shoulder. He put the ball in, we played on, at next scrum cheeky brat mentioned my mistake. I replyed 'Just testing' both SH's grinned and game went on.
    I found that if I was on the putting in side I could touch the SH's shoulder and retreat 3 or 4 steps to widen my view before he put the ball in enabling me to get my prefered wide angle of the scrum.
    But all in all a pointless change.
    I was wondering which one of you would spot that...

Attachment 2775
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player

Did I hear Y9 reappear in the Scarlets v Connaught match c. 61mins

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    london
    Grade
    B52
    Blog Entries

nothing in new protocol prevents you speaking to the no. 9 whether it's " put it in you muppet we haven't got all day " or "yes please"
    De fide et officio arbiteris non recipitur quaestio.
    Nil lusoris illegitimae carborundum.

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player

Quote Originally Posted by B52 REF View Post
    nothing in new protocol prevents you speaking to the no. 9 whether it's " put it in you muppet we haven't got all day " or "yes please"
    I thought we were being asked to be non-verbal, to extinguish the pre feed shove? Ie remove the starting pistol

http://www.irb.com/newsmedia/mediazo...d=2069952.html

Thread Information