Thread: Wales Vs France

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff
    Grade
    WRU Level 2

Default Wales Vs France

Wales final try.

Warbs stopped inches short and he pushes the ball (immediately) forward to the goal line.

Try or no try?
    The tenet that a referee is the sole arbiter of fact and law, allows me to be wrong, not stupid.

Referees in Holland

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 2

Default Re: Wales Vs France

He didn't lost contact with the ball before it centimetred towards the whitewash. Fair call on my part.

But, can we open a few more can of worms on this game

- - - Updated - - -

lost = lose!!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Suffolk & NE and MADREFs
    Grade
    Level 10+1

Was a try. Thought Rolland had a good game but his management of the Scrum was in my eyes poor. Surely if the scrum is collapsing the side that is going backwards is going to be at fault (usually the defensive prop's binding was wrong), yet it was seen as the attacking side time and again.

Also in the 1st Half he pinged Jenkins for his knee going on the ground yet this was caused by the French LH not having a long arm bind which made it unstable. Surely the French player should have been pinged there for incorrect binding that led to the unstable scrum.

Thought yellowing the Loose and Tight head achieved nothing and all he did was make the game a little fractious.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR

Quote Originally Posted by WombleRef View Post
    Was a try. Thought Rolland had a good game but his management of the Scrum was in my eyes poor. Surely if the scrum is collapsing the side that is going backwards is going to be at fault (usually the defensive prop's binding was wrong), yet it was seen as the attacking side time and again.

Also in the 1st Half he pinged Jenkins for his knee going on the ground yet this was caused by the French LH not having a long arm bind which made it unstable. Surely the French player should have been pinged there for incorrect binding that led to the unstable scrum.

Thought yellowing the Loose and Tight head achieved nothing and all he did was make the game a little fractious.
    Missed that one but saw the Adam Jones knee on the ground one.
    Jones uses short bind when ref on other side of scrum but miraculously remembers how to lengthen the bind when ref moves to his side.

59th minute, Warburton wins a PK for French tackled player not releasing the ball however, replay clearly shows that Warburton first puts his left hand on the ground past the tackled player and leaves it there to support himself whilst he goes for the ball with his right hand.

Also thought that Warburton lost the ball as he tried to ground it for that try (one camera angle picked this up) although it could be argued that it went straight down and not forward. Thought he was short of the line and then rolled it forward. No try for me.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by The Fat View Post
    ... Thought he was short of the line and then rolled it forward. No try for me.
    IMO he twisted it forward, while still holding it.

Serious question, but is there a law against that?

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by All The Time Ref View Post
    Wales final try.

Warbs stopped inches short and he pushes the ball (immediately) forward to the goal line.

Try or no try?
    Interesting one this

22.4 OTHER WAYS TO SCORE A TRY
    (e) Tackled near the goal line. If a player is tackled near to the opponents’ goal line so that
    this player can immediately reach out and ground the ball on or over the goal line, a try is
    scored.

...but does pushing the ball forward come under the heading of "reach out"? I don't think so, and the Tackle Law would seem to indicate that what he did was an infringement.

15.5 THE TACKLED PLAYER
    (d) A tackled player may release the ball by pushing it along the ground in any direction except
    forward,
    provided this is done immediately.
    Sanction: Penalty kick

IMO, it was technically no try and a PK!

Harsh perhaps, but fair!
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Suffolk & NE and MADREFs
    Grade
    Level 10+1

Quote Originally Posted by The Fat View Post
    Missed that one but saw the Adam Jones knee on the ground one.
    Jones uses short bind when ref on other side of scrum but miraculously remembers how to lengthen the bind when ref moves to his side.

59th minute, Warburton wins a PK for French tackled player not releasing the ball however, replay clearly shows that Warburton first puts his left hand on the ground past the tackled player and leaves it there to support himself whilst he goes for the ball with his right hand.

Also thought that Warburton lost the ball as he tried to ground it for that try (one camera angle picked this up) although it could be argued that it went straight down and not forward. Thought he was short of the line and then rolled it forward. No try for me.
    It may have been the Adam Jones one - my knowledge of International Rugby is extremely limited as I don't tend to get a chance to watch!
    But surely because both are short binding - the defensive player gets the PK against?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    15.5 THE TACKLED PLAYER
    (d) A tackled player may release the ball by pushing it along the ground in any direction except
    forward,
    provided this is done immediately.
    Sanction: Penalty kick

This is the clincher for me.
    If SW had lifted the ball and reached forward to place it on the line then it would have been a try. Ball on the ground and rolled/pushed forward brings 15.5(d) into play.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade

What about the French replacement prop 17wearing what looked like wooly gloves. Now I have been known to wear them myself but I'm a shameless ex back and can sort of get away with it but a prop? what's the game coming to and how could he face his fellow front row colleagues is beyond me!
    Ciaran Trainor

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player

Quote Originally Posted by All The Time Ref View Post
    Wales final try.

Try or no try?
    If the TMO hails from Pontypandy ? then it was never going to be anything other than a try !!!!! . I have to say i quite enjoyed watching the froggies getting more and more frustrated by the officials ........ Paris karma me thinks.

Thread Information