Thread: Odd try

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    NYRRS
    Grade
    C1
    Blog Entries

Default Odd try

On Saturday I had a level 7 exchange up on the Wirral. I perhaps gave the strangest try I've given.

On the 5m line off a ruck the black scrum half, picked the ball up and took a few steps then threw a bullet pass to the 10, who happened to be directing his players. As the pass came in the black 10 turned his head and looked at the ruck, and got hit square in the face, I yell off head play on, to add to this, he then got clobbered a bit high and late by a bulky blue number 8 (I'm thinking yellow). The ball went about a meter from in-goal where the black center ran through to gather and score. I turn around to see a nice pushing and cuddling session between 8 and 10 (nothing in it).

Now my question is what's your process for awarding the try and yellow carding 8, as in which order?

Thanks
    Cody

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Re: Odd try

Quote Originally Posted by ckuxmann View Post
    On Saturday I had a level 7 exchange up on the Wirral. I perhaps gave the strangest try I've given.

On the 5m line off a ruck the black scrum half, picked the ball up and took a few steps then threw a bullet pass to the 10, who happened to be directing his players. As the pass came in the black 10 turned his head and looked at the ruck, and got hit square in the face, I yell off head play on, to add to this, he then got clobbered a bit high and late by a bulky blue number 8 (I'm thinking yellow). The ball went about a meter from in-goal where the black center ran through to gather and score. I turn around to see a nice pushing and cuddling session between 8 and 10 (nothing in it).

Now my question is what's your process for awarding the try and yellow carding 8, as in which order?

Thanks
    Cody
    IMO

1. Award the try (one long blast on the whistle)

2. Time-off (a few short peeps)

3. Call out Blue Captian and Blue 8

4. YC for blue 8

5. Time on, allow Black 10 kicker to proceed with conversion.

6. Normal restart on halfway.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade

I like Ian's approach. T do anything other risks confusion on the touchline, with people wondering whether a PT has been given for #8's offence.
    Don't feed the pedant!

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Don't forget the bolloking for Black 9 for crap pass (face level) to 10.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 6

Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    Don't forget the bolloking for Black 9 for crap pass (face level) to 10.
    Black's match report describes them as pouncing on a rebound to score. No mention of the poor 10 with a flat nose.
    "I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat."
    (RON ATKINSON)

Thread Information