Thread: A tackle gone sadly wrong

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Ref'd social games only

Default A tackle gone sadly wrong

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-2...kinnon/5344858

Could it be an unintended result of a rule change this year which penalised the third man in from tackling below the knees

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Re: A tackle gone sadly wrong

Its about time RL got serious about addressing the issue of turning players beyond horizontal in the tackle.

For some time, RL media jocks have been making snide remarks about how "RahRah" deals with the tip tackle, calling it soft. I think reality is about to hit home for those involved in the tackle.

I hope AM is able to make a good recovery, and that he does not end up spending the rest of his life in a wheelchair
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    NHRRA
    Grade
    NZ Premier Club Rugby

The scariest thing about that tackle is how relatively mundane it was- there have been many tackles in both codes over the last few years that have appeared far worse, guys lifting and dropping opponents on their heads. If that was in super 15, and if there had been no injury, I wouldn't have been surprised to see it attract little more than a yellow.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Southern RL
    Grade
    Rugby League

I have a lot of sympathy for "If he doesn't duck his head, that doesn't happen". The tackled player is being brought down at the horizontal, he's not being dropped or speared, #8 makes a slight miscalculation and gives a bit more push to the upper body than is needed, the tackle goes slightly past horizontal, he's coming down on his upper body and then for whatever reason he ducks right into the ground. Penalty and on report a reasonable call and I can't see the judiciary handing down anything too severe.

I mean, if you want to argue to get rid of all lifting tackles entirely, that's a point of view and I'll listen to it; but in a world where lifting tackles are permissible, there are occasionally going to be bad ones from poor technique and there are occasionally going to be ones where something dangerous happens and the tackled player's actions are part of the problem. I won't deny either that the NRL is (unsurprisingly when their referees are so hesitant to send players off) incubating a problem with dangerous throws, but you could go eeny-meeny-miny-mo and hit on a much better example of outright dangerous technique in the NRL than this one that's ended worse than all of them.

Could it be an unintended result of a rule change this year which penalised the third man in from tackling below the knees
    Not a chance, that tackling technique could have been from any time in at least the last five years.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Brisbane Rugby League Referees Association
    Grade
    Level 2

You see worse tackles every weekend in both rugby codes. It honestly doesn't deserve more than a one week suspension, but it makes it a lot harder when you have someone with a broken neck. Interested to see how this will play out!

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

I don't have any sympathy for "doesn't duck his head it doesn't happen" view. Its is a natural and instinctive reaction to not want your face driven into the ground, in order to protect eyes, nose and mouth, all survival requirements.

You can equally take the view that if Purple 16 doesn't pick up AM's legs, it doesn't happen either.

16 Purple picks AM's legs up, takes him beyond horizontal and then drives him head-first into the ground; in RU that is a spear tackle, and a stone cold RC. Whether he ducks or not, he was always going to hit the ground head first.

I'd wager he would get a long time on the sideline to think about it too.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    I don't have any sympathy for "doesn't duck his head it doesn't happen" view. Its is a natural and instinctive reaction to not want your face driven into the ground, in order to protect eyes, nose and mouth, all survival requirements.

You can equally take the view that if Purple 16 doesn't pick up AM's legs, it doesn't happen either.

16 Purple picks AM's legs up, takes him beyond horizontal and then drives him head-first into the ground; in RU that is a spear tackle, and a stone cold RC. Whether he ducks or not, he was always going to hit the ground head first.

I'd wager he would get a long time on the sideline to think about it too.
    But it was only one leg that was picked up (while his other leg/foot stays on the ground) even our rulings on the lifting tackle says

"Any time a tackled player's legs are lifted above horizontal it should result in a yellow card as a minimum."

This suggests the plural, both legs, and therefore a single leg, while not saying it is not dangerous, does not seem to be written into our guidelines as a tip tackle either requiring a YC (or RC).

That tackle could easily happen in rugby now, and only result in a PK at most as it does not meet the prescribed (and written guidelines ) criteria of a lifting/tip tackle.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but thats the way the guidance is written and how it was presented a season ago.

I feel for him and his family. I feel ill every time I see it replayed in the news. (Having a brother in a wheelchair from a broken back (car accident) and having broken/fractured my neck and multiple vertebrae from a mountain bike accident I know a little bit about what he'll be going through). As a result I'm Řber strict on anything that resembles a lifting/tip tackle.
    Last edited by menace; 27-03-14 at 07:03.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by menace View Post
    But it was only one leg that was picked up (while his other leg/foot stays on the ground) even our rulings on the lifting tackle says

"Any time a tackled player's legs are lifted above horizontal it should result in a yellow card as a minimum."

This suggests the plural, both legs, and therefore a single leg, while not saying it is not dangerous, does not seem to be written into our guidelines as a tip tackle either requiring a YC (or RC).
    Law 10.4(j) doesn't refer to legs at all...and both McKinnon's feet were lifted off the ground.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade

Quote Originally Posted by RobLev View Post
    Law 10.4(j) doesn't refer to legs at all...and both McKinnon's feet were lifted off the ground.
    Rugby League tackle being discussed in the Rugby League forum, RobLev.
    Don't feed the pedant!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    Rugby League tackle being discussed in the Rugby League forum, RobLev.
    I understood menace to be suggesting it wouldn't be a RC in Union, either, following up on JP_Rocks' comment, and Ian's that it would be a stone-cold RC in Union. Indeed he quotes from the RU "secret memo"on the subject. If not, then of course you're right.

Thread Information